Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jeremy Clarkson, Dropping the N bomb!! (or not) - Thoughts
motormad
post May 3 2014, 09:39 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 592

As above really, interested to hear peoples thoughts.

I personally do not care. Words are contextual. I grew up around that word through the type of music and games I played as I grew up I found that words have context and meaning. Depending on how and where they're used, and controversially, by whom they are used.

I think it's all been blown way out of proportion, tabloids out there for an easy story as per usual really.

Feel pretty sorry for Clarky actually.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Optimist
post May 3 2014, 10:24 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,721

QUOTE (motormad @ May 3 2014, 09:39 PM) *
As above really, interested to hear peoples thoughts.

I personally do not care. Words are contextual. I grew up around that word through the type of music and games I played as I grew up I found that words have context and meaning. Depending on how and where they're used, and controversially, by whom they are used.

I think it's all been blown way out of proportion, tabloids out there for an easy story as per usual really.

Feel pretty sorry for Clarky actually.

Clarkson is not a sympathetic figure obviously, but I'd have to agree.

Don;t get me wrong, I'm not a fan of words like the one he mumbled through, but we give them way too much power. You can turn on any gritty tv programme these days and here much worse.

The tabloids aren't going to let a chance to torch Clarkson though and in these times of ultra PC times, that means action even if it's just lip service.

A different case is Donald Sterling, the owner of the NBA team, the LA Clippers. His views were clearly expressed and prejudicial (Clarkson's were more ill advised and stupid as much as anything). End result for Sterling was a massive fine and a lifetime suspension from the NBA with a demand to sell the team.

End of the day not much will actually happen to Clarkson. With the money Top Gear makes (and all due respect to the co-hosts, its mostly due to Clarkson), I'd be very surprised if they end up sacking him. Well not before ratings go down obviously.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post May 3 2014, 10:37 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

Blown up by politicos who have their own skeletons a-jangling. Railroaded for something he did not actually say...

Move on, far worse heard down Northbrook Street and outside schools every day

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 3 2014, 10:57 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

BBC wrist jobs... if this was a bit part child's TV presenter he would be out on his ear. The moral of the story is, if you record something contentious, delete it. We are all bigots or racists in some way, or to some degree.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 4 2014, 08:57 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

If it was a one off I might agree, but Clarkson has made a career out of being offensive and making stupid remarks, and the two puppets he present with aren't much better. It's also on the BBC, which is supposed to be a bastion of integrity and quality.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 4 2014, 09:11 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

I think it is a hurricane in an egg cup.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post May 4 2014, 10:55 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 4 2014, 10:11 AM) *
I think it is a hurricane in an egg cup.

It's not so much about the offence the n-word does or doesn't cause you, it's about the offence the word causes people with African heritage who were so oppressed in the Atlantic slave-trade and for whom this word represents the entirety of the racism, prejudice, and injustice of their struggle.

Clarkson makes a living out of being provocatively and gratuitously offensive, and even alluding to that offensive rhyme would have been grossly offensive, but he really must have sh1t for brains if he thought that mumbling the word itself was ever going to be acceptable.

But this isn't about Clarkson, it's about the BBC, and they should have sacked him on the spot. It wouldn't be a word they could possibly tolerate on the lips of their canteen staff or car park attendants, and it's not something they can possibly allow their white middle-class presenters to say for a cheap laugh.

Clarkson has to go obviously, but for the equivocation so too does Tony Hall, the Director-General. The BBC is the national broadcaster, and it has an obligation to promote values. There are situations where I guess it might be possible to use the n-word, but those situations would be few and limited to challenging drama, just like there might be situations where it was appropriate to depict child rape, deny the holocaust, or have someone mock thalidomide victims, but that's not Top Gear, and frankly it might just be time for Top Gear to go the way News of the World was retired.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
JeffG
post May 4 2014, 11:09 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ May 4 2014, 11:55 AM) *
But this isn't about Clarkson, it's about the BBC, and they should have sacked him on the spot.

You mean two years ago when it happened, but wasn't broadcast? Have you actually heard the clip?

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post May 4 2014, 11:42 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ May 4 2014, 12:09 PM) *
You mean two years ago when it happened, but wasn't broadcast? Have you actually heard the clip?

Yes, I heard it on Radio4's PM on Friday afternoon. Several times.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 4 2014, 12:04 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ May 4 2014, 11:55 AM) *
It's not so much about the offence the n-word does or doesn't cause you, it's about the offence the word causes people with African heritage who were so oppressed in the Atlantic slave-trade and for whom this word represents the entirety of the racism, prejudice, and injustice of their struggle.

I know the history of it, but the fuss being created and the suggested sanctions are akin to a fascist state. He did wrong and he has apologised. We all know it is an ugly phrase and I say let society decide how to deal with this.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post May 4 2014, 12:45 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 4 2014, 01:04 PM) *
I know the history of it, but the fuss being created and the suggested sanctions are akin to a fascist state. He did wrong and he has apologised. We all know it is an ugly phrase and I say let society decide how to deal with this.

Yes, I accept that what I suggested is in a sense intolerant with a passing similarity to the totalitarian conservatism of 20's Italy, but "fascist" is an easy slight to make against any criticism of inappropriate and offensive language and it doesn't get to the heart of the matter.

I'm in favour of freedom of expression, and that includes the freedom to express yourself in ways that others find offensive, but it's not an absolute right and it's proportionate to restrict individual freedom of expression if that could cause racial hatred, and I feel that the n-word in the Top Gear context is a case in point.

So it's intolerant to complaint about the use of the n-word, yes, but in a free and just society some things shouldn't be tolerated even if they have popular support - even more especially if they have popular support.

--------------------

+Quote Post
On the edge
post May 4 2014, 12:46 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

I think it's a symptom of the rotten state of the BBC. Poor quality output and institutionalised bad behaviour at mammoth expense. Just another reason why this monopoly should be broken up.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post May 4 2014, 12:51 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Deciding what is or is not offensive to another (group) is a dodgy state... The word is widely used in the street language of the very group you refer to, and is not seen as offensive.

I am still under the understanding he quoted a children's nursery rhyme, omitting the word objected to, and I remain of the opinion far worse language is used daily in towns and schools (and not just by the pupils) every day.

Are the French using a different word to say black these days?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 4 2014, 01:57 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ May 4 2014, 01:45 PM) *
Yes, I accept that what I suggested is in a sense intolerant with a passing similarity to the totalitarian conservatism of 20's Italy, but "fascist" is an easy slight to make against any criticism of inappropriate and offensive language and it doesn't get to the heart of the matter.

Saying people should lose their livelihood for the sake of an ill-advised moment that was never officially published, is disproportionate.

I'm in favour of freedom of expression, and that includes the freedom to express yourself in ways that others find offensive, but it's not an absolute right and it's proportionate to restrict individual freedom of expression if that could cause racial hatred, and I feel that the n-word in the Top Gear context is a case in point.

I completely disagree. I think the context of the passage wasn't intended to incite racial hatred, that is absurd. It was an ill-advised 'joke' and it wasn't transmitted.

So it's intolerant to complaint about the use of the n-word, yes, but in a free and just society some things shouldn't be tolerated even if they have popular support - even more especially if they have popular support.

It is not intolerant to complain about that word, it is intolerant that someone should lose their job in this specific case in point.

The problem with incidence like this is that they can have the reverse effect. It is an unacceptable word, but lets try to be grown up about this, just as people have a responsibility to not be so offensive, I think people to a certain extent should try not to be so offended.

Lets all condemn this language and let society deal with this.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 4 2014, 02:01 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ May 4 2014, 01:51 PM) *
I am still under the understanding he quoted a children's nursery rhyme, omitting the word objected to, and I remain of the opinion far worse language is used daily in towns and schools (and not just by the pupils) every day.

He kind of uttered it under his breath. He did enough to be censored, but at best this is a case of 'soft racism'. I don't think he was trying to be shocking, I think he was just mimicking a child's way of making a decision.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post May 4 2014, 02:52 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Sounds like the band of 'professionally offended' are striding forth. I'd rather have a Clarkson mumble then a politician active in supporting the activities of PIE....

+Quote Post
On the edge
post May 4 2014, 04:22 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ May 4 2014, 03:52 PM) *
Sounds like the band of 'professionally offended' are striding forth. I'd rather have a Clarkson mumble then a politician active in supporting the activities of PIE....

I thought civilisation was all about climbing out of the chess pit rather than taking a deep dive...

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post May 4 2014, 05:03 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 4 2014, 03:01 PM) *
He kind of uttered it under his breath. He did enough to be censored, but at best this is a case of 'soft racism'. I don't think he was trying to be shocking, I think he was just mimicking a child's way of making a decision.

This is Clarkson we're talking about, I don't think it was an innocent choice of rhyme.

--------------------

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post May 4 2014, 05:09 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ May 4 2014, 05:22 PM) *
I thought civilisation was all about climbing out of the chess pit rather than taking a deep dive...

Liquid lunch?

+Quote Post
pbonnay
post May 4 2014, 05:35 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,791

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ May 4 2014, 03:52 PM) *

Yes, "being offended" is an industry in itself these days. This fuss is over a word mumbled by someone, 2 years ago, which was never broadcast.

It now has been, so the people who now put this in the public domain must have a motive other than simply not wishing to hear the word spoken.

I think most people see the fuss as a massive overreaction.

+Quote Post

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:23 PM