IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Different planets, the walk/slide to work this week.
Guest_Bill1_*
post Dec 22 2010, 09:54 AM
Post #1

Guests

Pavements treacherous to say the least on Boundary and Kings Roads, until you get to the customer entrance, if coming from the Town Centre, to Sainsburys, at which point it's completely safe and clear of the Slush Puppy gone wrong stuff that pedestrians have had to negotiate to that point.

Once over the dual carraigeway, Kings Road West is almost as bad as the start of the journey, then you reach Cheap Street and voila, all clear again.

Colleagues who walk from other fringes of the town centre have reported the same thing, even one who lives near the Argyles Nursing Home.

Spread the love (well grit/salt) guys!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Dec 22 2010, 08:03 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 221

Thing is, it seems far too many people are wearing exactly the same work shoes in this 'orrible winter weather than they do during the summer..... Far too quick blame 'somebody' for "not gritting this or salting that", when they don't exactly help themselves in the first place....... Change your shoes folks! Wear something with tread on and you might not end up on your ar$e.....

Same goes for people driving around on tyres that barely meet the legal limit and then complain that they can't get any grip when a few flakes fall......... (but that's another thread..)

+Quote Post
gel
post Dec 23 2010, 11:47 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 337

In Ireland Councils still clear the streets:
From Irish Times today:

Michael Phillips, Dublin City Council engineer, said 500 personnel were working to clear the streets to help shoppers and that some 100 army staff were helping to clear snow in and around transport hubs and hospitals

and in Ireland they pay no local tax/rates either mellow.gif

+Quote Post
Batfink
post Dec 24 2010, 08:55 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 202

QUOTE (gel @ Dec 23 2010, 11:47 PM) *
In Ireland Councils still clear the streets... and in Ireland they pay no local tax/rates either mellow.gif

Is this the same Ireland who is effectively bankrupt? wink.gif

+Quote Post
pinkfluffyclouds
post Dec 24 2010, 10:57 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 881

QUOTE (gel @ Dec 23 2010, 11:47 PM) *
In Ireland Councils still clear the streets:
From Irish Times today:

Michael Phillips, Dublin City Council engineer, said 500 personnel were working to clear the streets to help shoppers and that some 100 army staff were helping to clear snow in and around transport hubs and hospitals

and in Ireland they pay no local tax/rates either mellow.gif

No tax or rates rolleyes.gif Is that why they are in such a pickle then and having to be bailed out !!!

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Dec 24 2010, 01:05 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,076

Yeah, aren't WE paying £10bn to Ireland?

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Dec 24 2010, 01:11 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Dec 24 2010, 01:05 PM) *
Yeah, aren't WE paying £10bn to Ireland?

No, we're borrowing money and selling it to Ireland at a favourable rate, if that is what you mean. So-long as they pay up that is.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Dec 24 2010, 05:38 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Just wanted to say thank you to those who assisted me in Newbury this afternoon, fell over twice in ten minutes!!! Knock to the head, and a few bumps and bruises but I will live. Just leaves me asking how many others have fallen? It doesn't look bad in most parts of town, but some areas (including car parks by the Library and the paths near the police station / sainsbury's) are a disgrace.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Dec 24 2010, 06:56 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

I Blame the coalition !! Paths were clearer under labour, sky was bluer, beer was colder and everyone had a job. 'sigh' O' the good ole days !

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Dec 24 2010, 07:26 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

I believe the council should ask the probation service and cadets to help clear the ice from our streets when the weather is bad and put down grit on paths and public car parks. The roads in West Berks look ok from what I've seen, but the pavements are shocking. As the Government are not directly responsible for what streets get gritted, I would very much doubt that the buck could be passed on to them!!!

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Dec 24 2010, 07:42 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Aye ! conscription, thats t'answer

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
user23
post Dec 24 2010, 07:44 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Dec 24 2010, 07:42 PM) *
Aye ! conscription, thats t'answer
Chain gangs clearing the ice, perhaps?

Dickie's found another bandwagon, it would seem.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Dec 24 2010, 08:00 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Teach 'em some discipline, thats what I say !! Hangin's too good for 'em

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Dec 24 2010, 08:40 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

Perhaps you should have have been wearing appropriate footwear Richard? Slick soled shoes designed for the carpetted corridors of the Labour Party Conference halls are hardly up to walking on snow are they..... Get yerself off to Millets, they've got special offers for 'proper footwear' for winter conditions....

Or were you out 'shopping' in the Lock Stock and Barrel?.... wink.gif

tsk tsk..... rolleyes.gif.... I dunno Richard.... And it's the Council's fault that you slipped.....

Today's blame culture eh? rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Dec 24 2010, 09:31 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

I haven't blamed anyone have I??? I simply suggested a way to try and get rid of the ice and slush nearly a week after the snowfall. The probation service are used all over the country for community projects and doing council work such as painting and gardening etc. Why not have these guys putting down grit? As for the cadets, if they were called to a battle zone, wouldn't they be doing civil work such as this? It would be good practice, and hasn't it been happening in other parts of the UK? Just suggesting that we follow the lead of other councils to get round potential issues like we seem to have had over the last week with footpaths and car parking areas. Maybe then I could get away with wearing a pair of shoes in the town centre without falling over!!!

Then again, West Berkshire Council could sit back and do nothing? I thought a few people may have been entertained by me falling over today, happens to the best of us!!! But for those who take it in a light hearted manner, how many people who fall put in compensation claims against the local authority?

+Quote Post
Darren
post Dec 24 2010, 10:01 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Dec 24 2010, 09:31 PM) *
But for those who take it in a light hearted manner, how many people who fall put in compensation claims against the local authority?

Probably none. If you are out walking on snow/ice you have a duty of care to yourself.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/nl1/newsroom/dg_191868

Of course, you could give it a try and see what happens.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Dec 25 2010, 07:26 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

'Cadets'? Who might they be?
Someone who knows what they are talking about may be able to shed light on the work that can be done by those on Community Service. I rather suspect mobilisation for such work is not so easily done

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Dec 25 2010, 07:33 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Army cadets are used for civil projects when they are called into service, helping to clear key paths and car parking in emergencies would be good practice of working in a situation. As for community service, I don't see what would be restrictive in putting grit down on paths and car parks when these people cut the grass on council owned land and paint fences and such like.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Dec 25 2010, 07:55 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Dec 25 2010, 07:33 PM) *
Army cadets are used for civil projects when they are called into service, helping to clear key paths and car parking in emergencies would be good practice of working in a situation. As for community service, I don't see what would be restrictive in putting grit down on paths and car parks when these people cut the grass on council owned land and paint fences and such like.

'Army Cadets', 'called into service'. Now I know you are talking with your imagination. MACP is not simple by any means.

I don't know Community service people cannot do the work, it is eminently suitable. I just think it better to check before asking why they are not being used.

+Quote Post
gel
post Dec 25 2010, 08:52 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 337

I've seen Community Payback "Volunteers" ie UK Chain Gang at Sneslsmore Common presumably litter picking.

Obviously not doable this weather so some grit/salt spreading would be good diversion of resources.

I'm sure Sheriff Joe Arpaio would have no hesitation in his jurisdiction ordering this:-
ones I saw just had yellow jackets, nothing like one of his chain gangs!!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:21 PM