Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Drunks, contradictions and such, but never a dull moment
GMR
post Jul 26 2009, 02:29 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 33

I was in Newbury Town centre today and outside the Halifax sat a drunk, with 5 cans of alcohol, cussing the passersby, occasionally he was in merriment. Somebody did say they had called the police but I was there over an hour and I didn’t see even a smidgen of blue uniform. On top of that I counted 5 cars driving through the high street, and 5 motorcycles convey as well.

There isn’t much point of having laws to say you mustn’t to that only for people to do it and nobody is there to stop them.

I suppose we can/ should look at it as a good advertisement for Newbury, including the Traffic Wardens acting like Mercenaries and upsetting drivers.

Maybe we should call Newbury a town of contradictions; but forget about shopping.
laugh.gif laugh.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Jul 26 2009, 02:54 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 164

It's interesting that you site the two aspects of law breaking.
Which one do we view as the most,or least, offensive ?
The alcoholic is controlled by his addiction, no one forced him to take up drinking as hobby but his actions are deeply disturbing to himself and those in his vicinity.
The arrogant drivers that think they are beyond the law by driving down Northbrook Street are in a way not dissimilar as they have no control over their actions but appear to be driven by some outside motivation that defies logic.
The fact that we have a police force that would rather hound an old age pensioner for putting their rubbish bin out on the wrong day than patrol our streets, only highlights what a bloody awfull country we have become.

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 26 2009, 03:07 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE (lordtup @ Jul 26 2009, 03:54 PM) *
The alcoholic is controlled by his addiction, no one forced him to take up drinking as hobby but his actions are deeply disturbing to himself and those in his vicinity.
The arrogant drivers that think they are beyond the law by driving down Northbrook Street are in a way not dissimilar as they have no control over their actions but appear to be driven by some outside motivation that defies logic.
The fact that we have a police force that would rather hound an old age pensioner for putting their rubbish bin out on the wrong day than patrol our streets, only highlights what a bloody awfull country we have become.

It is always best - from a police point of view - to target law abiding citizens than take the time and effort to target the more fruitful members of our society wink.gif

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jul 26 2009, 05:01 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

The fact that we have a police force that would rather hound an old age pensioner for putting their rubbish bin out on the wrong day

Oh? What's your source?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 26 2009, 09:42 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jul 26 2009, 06:01 PM) *
Oh? What's your source?

I don't know what is source is but recently some council hounded a certain street and threatened them with prosecution for putting their bins out the day before. In this instance the bins were collected at 7 in the morning so had to be put out the night before; their ruling didn't make sense.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jul 27 2009, 12:52 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Yes I'd heard some councils have come down on people putting their bins out on the wrong day (as far as I recall, with good reason), but lordtup said the police were doing this, rather than their job, which is why I asked for his source.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jul 27 2009, 09:45 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

Well said Lordtup.
The Police sometimes seem to get the balance wrong.
I wonder if Anon123 would like to comment.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 27 2009, 11:33 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jul 27 2009, 10:45 AM) *
Well said Lordtup.
The Police sometimes seem to get the balance wrong.
I wonder if Anon123 would like to comment.

I think the poor girl is in hiding laugh.gif

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jul 28 2009, 11:12 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 26 2009, 04:07 PM) *
It is always best - from a police point of view - to target law abiding citizens than take the time and effort to target the more fruitful members of our society wink.gif

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jul 26 2009, 06:01 PM) *
Oh? What's your source?

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 26 2009, 10:42 PM) *
I don't know what is source is but recently some council hounded a certain street and threatened them with prosecution for putting their bins out the day before. In this instance the bins were collected at 7 in the morning so had to be put out the night before; their ruling didn't make sense.

What has this got to do with your original accusation about the police targetting law abiding citizens?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 28 2009, 11:22 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Jul 29 2009, 12:12 AM) *
What has this got to do with your original accusation about the police targetting law abiding citizens?

Well.... I was replying to another poster.

Are you saying police don't target law abiding citizens? What I mean by targeting law abiding citizens; petty crime over more serious crime. Petty crime is more easy to deal with and helps their crime rate figures just as a more serious crime.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jul 29 2009, 04:56 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Blackdog, you quoted me out of context. Just to put the record straight, my question was to lordtup, not GMR.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 29 2009, 06:24 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jul 29 2009, 05:56 PM) *
Blackdog, you quoted me out of context. Just to put the record straight, my question was to lordtup, not GMR.

I don't think he saw the original post which I replied to.

+Quote Post
Roost
post Jul 30 2009, 01:57 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 31

"Petty crime over more serious crime".
Um............
So who decides which is petty and which is serious and anyway, petty or not, the operative word is "CRIME!
The previous comments about police hounding an OAP for putting his bin out etc were erroneous to say the least as it was and would have been the council hounding him, not the police as this would be a civil offence and not a criminal one...!

--------------------
Roost

Welcome to the jungle....

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 31 2009, 09:22 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Roost @ Jul 30 2009, 02:57 PM) *
"Petty crime over more serious crime".
Um............
So who decides which is petty and which is serious and anyway, petty or not, the operative word is "CRIME!
The previous comments about police hounding an OAP for putting his bin out etc were erroneous to say the least as it was and would have been the council hounding him, not the police as this would be a civil offence and not a criminal one...!

There are degrees of crime; ie some are more important than others, or they should be. Anti social behaviour is more important than a traffic offence (and we are talking minor parking offences here) or illegal parking.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jul 31 2009, 09:25 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 31 2009, 10:22 AM) *
There are degrees of crime; ie some are more important than others, or they should be. Anti social behaviour is more important than a traffic offence (and we are talking minor parking offences here) or illegal parking.

you forgot to append IMHO.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jul 31 2009, 01:56 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jul 29 2009, 05:56 PM) *

Sorry - didn't notice that. I guess I was misled by GMR quoting your comment and seemingly answering it out of context (council persecution rather than police).

But then he comes up with -

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 29 2009, 12:22 AM) *
Well.... I was replying to another poster.

Are you saying police don't target law abiding citizens? What I mean by targeting law abiding citizens; petty crime over more serious crime. Petty crime is more easy to deal with and helps their crime rate figures just as a more serious crime.

Sorry Glenn - petty crime is not carried out by law abiding citizens. So yes, I am saying that the police do not target law abiding citizens - what would be the point?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 31 2009, 02:12 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Jul 31 2009, 02:56 PM) *
Sorry Glenn - petty crime is not carried out by law abiding citizens. So yes, I am saying that the police do not target law abiding citizens - what would be the point?

People can be law abiding and make mistakes, compared to the habitual type.

Like somebody dropping litter and the police jump on the person and totally ignore the anti-social behaviour. Somebody who just goes over the speed limit and is jumped upon etc. If the police only use that sort of enthusiasm for real scum instead of "law abiding citizens."

+Quote Post
Andy
post Jul 31 2009, 02:41 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 26

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 31 2009, 03:12 PM) *
People can be law abiding and make mistakes, compared to the habitual type.

Like somebody dropping litter and the police jump on the person and totally ignore the anti-social behaviour. Somebody who just goes over the speed limit and is jumped upon etc. If the police only use that sort of enthusiasm for real scum instead of "law abiding citizens."

Can you prove they don't or is this just a personal rant against the police?

--------------------

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 31 2009, 02:49 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy @ Jul 31 2009, 03:41 PM) *
Can you prove they don't or is this just a personal rant against the police?

It is not hard to prove they don't; just look at some of the posts on here. I've observed personally the police ignore certain people and it has been reported in the press. That doesn't mean that every police officer is like that, as they are not. But we are not concerned with those, but those that don't observe or do anything.

As for "rant", what is a rant? It is just semantics. It is a personal annoyance against any individual that doesn't do what the public wish them to do; was that wrong? Should we keep our mouths shout? If that is the case then what is the point of these forums? They are there so that we can express our concerns, our joys or whatever. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 31 2009, 03:06 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

The police will target whoever appears softer, if there's a chance of confrontation they will run a mile, stand up to them and they will probably leave you alone.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 05:49 PM