> International Burn a Koran Day
TallDarkAndHands...
post Sep 9 2010, 08:31 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 60

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11223457

This guy should be sectioned for the safety of Western people living in Moslem Countries. They may burn flags and books in order to show their disdain for the West but we would be sinking to a new low and risking the lives of 1000's of troops and the public by allowing this to happen. I'm all for a free and open society but this is provocative and dangerous.

Of course he could just be doing it for Publicity and will not actually carry out this 'stunt'.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darren
post Sep 9 2010, 09:11 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

Perhaps a trip to burn his bible is a good thing.

+Quote Post
DrPepper
post Sep 9 2010, 09:23 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 776

I think you'll find the USA is a major leader of the free world and advocate of free speech. Or does this not apply if it may offend a Muslim. Why should anyone loose their right to demonstrate for fear of offending? We seem to be running scared of the Muslim faith, perfect example is Leicester - all the lights up for Ramadan but a few weeks later no Christmas lights but "Winter Wonderland" lights for fear of offence - apparently other faiths are not allowed to be offended by the Ramadan lights though (that would be racist wouldn't it). It does seem like this faith has become the bully in playground i.e you disagree with me and I'll hit you.

Mind you I was relieved, as I first read the title as "burn a Korean day" - something even the most staunch advocate of free speech couldn't condone!

+Quote Post
Bofem
post Sep 9 2010, 11:19 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 924

Book-burning and blasphemy. Good to see we've progressed since the Beatles.

--------------------
Newbury's #1 ill-informed internet poster

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Sep 9 2010, 11:34 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (DrPepper @ Sep 9 2010, 10:23 AM) *
I think you'll find the USA is a major leader of the free world and advocate of free speech. Or does this not apply if it may offend a muslim wink.gif

Mind you I was relieved, as I first read the title as "burn a Korean day" - something even the most staunch advocate of free speech couldn't condone!

Free speech today is very selective particularly if you are a white, tax paying christian.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Sep 9 2010, 12:06 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

Freedom of speech does not extend to freedom to "incitement of violence or prejudicial action against or by a protected individual or group, or because it disparages or intimidates a protected individual or group."

The conventions mentioned apply to all "European, inter-American and African regional human rights law equally". Whether they are applied equally is another matter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_speech

In my view, all religion is cobblers, but this Koran burning bloke is acting to provoke...not exactly Christian. On the other hand, right-minded Muslims should treat it with the contempt it deserves.

+Quote Post
DrPepper
post Sep 9 2010, 12:18 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Sep 9 2010, 01:06 PM) *
Freedom of speech does not extend to freedom to "incitement of violence or prejudicial action against or by a protected individual or group, or because it disparages or intimidates a protected individual or group."

The conventions mentioned apply to all "European, inter-American and African regional human rights law equally". Whether they are applied equally is another matter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_speech

In my view, all religion is cobblers, but this Koran burning bloke is acting to provoke...not exactly Christian. On the other hand, right-minded Muslims should treat it with the contempt it deserves.

And therein lies the problem, far to many Muslims are far from being "right-minded", and the rest of us live in fear of upsetting them in case of reprisal.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Sep 9 2010, 12:21 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (DrPepper @ Sep 9 2010, 01:18 PM) *
And therein lies the problem, far to many Muslims are far from being "right-minded", and the rest of us live in fear of upsetting them in case of reprisal.

Another problem might be too many Christian countries invading Muslim ones. Neither Islam nor Christianity are innocent in all this.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Sep 9 2010, 12:23 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Iommi @ Sep 9 2010, 01:21 PM) *
Another problem might be too many Christian countries invading Muslim ones.

No, that's allowed - they are just bringing democracy and freeing the people.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Sep 9 2010, 12:29 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Sep 9 2010, 01:23 PM) *
No, that's allowed - they are just bringing democracy and freeing the people.

A euphemism for taking control of their oil? unsure.gif I'd advocate secularists ceremoniously burning copies of all religious texts, except that would be no better than the zealots we are already discussing!

+Quote Post
DrPepper
post Sep 9 2010, 12:30 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Sep 9 2010, 01:21 PM) *
Another problem might be too many Christian countries invading Muslim ones. Neither Islam nor Christianity are innocent in all this.

It's been a little while the Christian crusades - I can't think of last time we (including the USA) invaded anywhere on the grounds of religion. On the grounds of "we would like that oil" maybe.

Why the **** can't people go about with own religious beliefs without blowing up those who have another faith?

+Quote Post
DrPepper
post Sep 9 2010, 12:34 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Why the **** can't people go about with own religious beliefs without blowing up those who have another faith?
[/quote]

There you go, can't say h e l l, but heaven and h e l l and fundamental to the Christian faith yet censored. Lets try a few others - Allah, Muhammed, Koran, nope they seem to be ok huh.gif

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Sep 9 2010, 12:36 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (DrPepper @ Sep 9 2010, 01:30 PM) *

Oil, religion; both involve death and destruction to families.

Islamic countries have a different form of rule than us. We have a state and a church. Islam often have a state that is a church. Invading a state, is invading a church. We in the West have a culturally different outlook than many in the East.

Which ever way you look at this, this Koran burner is acting falsely.

H e l l is banned as a Christian swear word; I would imagine.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Sep 9 2010, 12:44 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Sep 9 2010, 01:06 PM) *

I actually agree with you on this.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Sep 9 2010, 12:45 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (DrPepper @ Sep 9 2010, 01:18 PM) *

Seems to be that way doesn't it.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Sep 9 2010, 12:46 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Sep 9 2010, 01:36 PM) *
Islamic countries have a different form of rule than us. We have a state and a church. Islam often have a state that is a church. Invading a state, is invading a church. We in the West have a culturally different outlook than many in the East.

Well at the moment we do.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
DrPepper
post Sep 9 2010, 12:47 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Sep 9 2010, 01:36 PM) *
H e l l is banned as a Christian swear word; I would imagine.

Yes but H e l l isn't a swear word, it is quoted in the bible and fundamental to the Christian believe. It is actually the controlling factor of the religion.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Sep 9 2010, 01:58 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (DrPepper @ Sep 9 2010, 01:47 PM) *
Yes but H e l l isn't a swear word, it is quoted in the bible

I understand that so is the word: b a s t a r d. But just like that word, it can be used to form an insult, like: go to h e l l .

QUOTE (DrPepper @ Sep 9 2010, 01:47 PM) *
and fundamental to the Christian believe. It is actually the controlling factor of the religion.

I thought h e l l exists in Islam as well?

At the end of the day, I don't think the word is censored because of Islamic sensibilities.

When I read what the preacher planned to do, I thought: idiot! When I saw the predictable response from Muslims, I thought the same.

+Quote Post
DrPepper
post Sep 9 2010, 02:06 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Yep, the world without religion would be a far better and safer place.

Hey, new game - lets see who can spell out the worst swear word, with spaces, before it's deleted by admin biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 9 2010, 02:15 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

It is ironic that this Christian preacher is acting like the worst aspects he condemns in fundamental Muslims.

He also forgets that Muslims died in 9/11. When the Christian McVie bombed the Government building in America, Christians and Muslims also died. Maybe the Muslims should reciprocate and burn Bibles for the Christian atrocities?

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:11 AM