Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vanity of Vanities all is Vanity
Simon Kirby
post Mar 17 2016, 10:15 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,011

Is see in the paper that Greenham Parish Council are to borrow a further £150k to pay for some more repairs to the Greenham Common Control Tower that they didn't initially allow for. There seems to be no difficulty finding money for vanity projects, and the Town Council have increased their budget by 4% and are going to borrow £500k for an ice cream kiosk as well as buying the ceremonial mayor a new fox-furred robe - so is austerity real, or is this just a Tory con.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Mar 18 2016, 07:28 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Mar 17 2016, 10:15 PM) *
Is see in the paper that Greenham Parish Council are to borrow a further £150k to pay for some more repairs to the Greenham Common Control Tower that they didn't initially allow for. There seems to be no difficulty finding money for vanity projects, and the Town Council have increased their budget by 4% and are going to borrow £500k for an ice cream kiosk as well as buying the ceremonial mayor a new fox-furred robe - so is austerity real, or is this just a Tory con.

I think it outrageous that they are having to borrow more money in these difficult times?
Surely they can find a few more wheelchairs or other essential services they can confiscate instead of having to borrow? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Mar 18 2016, 09:26 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Mar 17 2016, 10:15 PM) *

I'll see that, and raise this,
http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/news/news/17...taff-after.html

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Mar 18 2016, 12:58 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Mar 18 2016, 09:26 AM) *

Six years is a long time and requirements change.

There is no rule saying you cannot hire previously employed staff.
I wonder how much was saved in the long term.

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 18 2016, 01:12 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

5% re-employ seems fair to me. Many managers don't know WTF people actually do, and one way to find out is to remove them.

+Quote Post
Gazzadp
post Mar 18 2016, 08:11 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684

What struck me about reading that article was how julian Swift-Hook's name was conspicuous by its absence, so far be it from me to suggest but it would appear that he is happy to comment on positive "control tower" matters, but now that the proverbial cr*p is hitting the fan, he has decided to fly below the control towers radar! Typical behaviour of a councillior in West Berkshire.

--------------------
Obnoxious possiby, VEXATIOUS definitely not.

www.notellingyou.not

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Mar 18 2016, 08:49 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

QUOTE (Gazzadp @ Mar 18 2016, 08:11 PM) *
What struck me about reading that article was how julian Swift-Hook's name was conspicuous by its absence, so far be it from me to suggest but it would appear that he is happy to comment on positive "control tower" matters, but now that the proverbial cr*p is hitting the fan, he has decided to fly below the control towers radar! Typical behaviour of a councillior in West Berkshire.

He wasn't asked. If he was, his response would have been published.

You make an astounding assumption.

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Mar 19 2016, 09:25 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

The control tower project has gone horribly wrong, and holding the control tower discussions in secret when the wheels were falling off prevented the kind of public scrutiny that would potentially have given the councillors a reality-check and allowed them to pull the plug before they were too committed. Council meettings are supposed to be held in public for just this reason and this lack of openness is as much responsible for tje mess as anything else. There should be some accountability.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Mar 19 2016, 12:03 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (Gazzadp @ Mar 18 2016, 08:11 PM) *
Typical behaviour of a councillior in West Berkshire.

I know you are not perhaps suggesting that JSH is a WBC councillor but using West Berkshire and councillor in the same line does imply that in my opinion. The whole Control Tower thing is to do with Greenham Parish Council and whilst we might know that it was an expenditure too far for a small parish, it was perhaps for the right reasons and one which, led by a very "committed" parish councillor was certainly a hands up all those in favour decision.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 19 2016, 12:11 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Mar 19 2016, 12:03 PM) *
I know you are not perhaps suggesting that JSH is a WBC councillor but using West Berkshire and councillor in the same line does imply that in my opinion. The whole Control Tower thing is to do with Greenham Parish Council and whilst we might know that it was an expenditure too far for a small parish, it was perhaps for the right reasons and one which, led by a very "committed" parish councillor was certainly a hands up all those in favour decision.

Which means the comment you are criticising is grammatically correct.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Mar 19 2016, 12:17 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Is it not the responsibility of the individual Councillor to find out all the facts and make an informed decision on those findings?
So unless there were facts that the general public were unaware of then the very ambitious project was doomed for failure from the start, unless Greenham precept payers were prepared to finance the projects yearly loss running costs! huh.gif

You are of course not mentioning that all of our local Councils are more or less run as one! All decisions are usually approved by or refused by WBC. Occasionally a charade is carried out to give the impression otherwise! Hence why WBC and NTC share Councillors. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Mar 19 2016, 01:40 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Yep, got it.

That's the party line; just a bit too big for Greenham, top marks to JSH for trying, all done with the best of intentions. That's OK then all squared up now, so doubles all round.

.........the proles are watching!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Mar 19 2016, 02:10 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Yes it was an expenditure too far and because such expenditures have happened in several parish level councils locally it must surely demonstrate that these bodies are seriously out of control; in both democratic and financial terms.

As to the leader being committed and it being done for the right reasons, I seem to recall much the same was said about Derek Hatton and Liverpool some good few years back.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Mar 19 2016, 02:29 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (On the edge @ Mar 19 2016, 02:10 PM) *
Yes it was an expenditure too far and because such expenditures have happened in several parish level councils locally it must surely demonstrate that these bodies are seriously out of control; in both democratic and financial terms. As to the leader being committed and it being done for the right reasons, I seem to recall much the same was said about Derek Hatton and Liverpool some good few years back.

I was trying to be "kind" with my choice of words. I could have said arrogant but feel free to use whatever title you wish. I agree that the parish councils could be construed as being out of control but is this because our councils have a political allegiance and when the leader wants to push something through a version of the whip is used making the councillors toothless.

Wasn't Derek Hatton found not guilty by the way.

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Mar 19 2016, 12:17 PM) *
You are of course not mentioning that all of our local Councils are more or less run as one! All decisions are usually approved by or refused by WBC. Occasionally a charade is carried out to give the impression otherwise! Hence why WBC and NTC share Councillors.

Do you believe that is true and if it is true, surely we have an illegality in the procedural system.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Mar 19 2016, 03:35 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

You are quite right. Hatton wasn't found guilty; what has happened isn't a crime, it's simply exploiting weaknesses. Nonetheless, the biggest weakness comes from those 'silent members' who simply close ranks when the problems are made manifest. That's politics though, which as you rightly point out serve us ill locally.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Mar 19 2016, 03:49 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Mar 19 2016, 02:29 PM) *
I was trying to be "kind" with my choice of words. I could have said arrogant but feel free to use whatever title you wish. I agree that the parish councils could be construed as being out of control but is this because our councils have a political allegiance and when the leader wants to push something through a version of the whip is used making the councillors toothless.

Wasn't Derek Hatton found not guilty by the way.

Do you believe that is true and if it is true, surely we have an illegality in the procedural system.

Only if it was investigated properly and proved.............but then again people know that water does not run uphill unless pushed somehow? rolleyes.gif tongue.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:54 PM