> newbury parking charges
Andy Capp
post Dec 2 2012, 10:53 AM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Dec 2 2012, 12:44 AM) *
Traffic was queing back to London Road to get into PW car park today.

I would imagine being the first weekend of the month and being December has helped that. Lets hope the queues don't put people off.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Dec 2 2012, 11:24 AM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Nov 25 2012, 11:46 AM) *
I would imaging that this shop is the reason Fabricland in Bart street is closing.....

Just goes to show what effect a little bit of parking can have.

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Dec 2 2012, 11:48 AM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

QUOTE (Strafin @ Dec 2 2012, 11:24 AM) *
Just goes to show what effect a little bit of parking can have.

According to their website the shop is closing due to a greedy landlord not parking.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Dec 2 2012, 02:40 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Dec 2 2012, 11:48 AM) *
According to their website the shop is closing due to a greedy landlord not parking.

That may be the case but accesibility has to be a factor. In my case, it would have doubled the cost of my purchase, I would have had to park in the KC, walked across to Fabricland, big time waster for me, and then back to my car and go to all the grief of getting out of the carpark.
Not sure that my purchase would have saved their bacon but mutiply that during the week and you have an answer perhaps.

Newbury was a traffic shambles today, the A339 moving south towards Sainsbury at a walking pace. Hambridge Road the same because of the traffic lights at the roundabout construction, that because a couple of OpenReach guys working in a hole in the footpath have coned off half the road. I didn't even bother with the retail park up by Tesco's.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 2 2012, 02:42 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 2 2012, 10:53 AM) *
I would imagine being the first weekend of the month and being December has helped that. Lets hope the queues don't put people off.

Yes, they did. We were supposed to be meeting my sister, who called us to say she'd turned round and gone into Reading. We made it, a bit of a delay but not too bad. Called her back when we'd finished to be told she'd only just arrived. From the words between the expletives we gather she's learned her lesson!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Dec 2 2012, 04:06 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Dec 2 2012, 11:48 AM) *

If they had more customers they could pay their greedy landlord. I guess there's always plenty of reasons for shops closing, but the out of town and retail park shops seem to stay around for a lot longer than the town ones.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Dec 2 2012, 07:21 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Strafin @ Dec 2 2012, 04:06 PM) *
If they had more customers they could pay their greedy landlord. I guess there's always plenty of reasons for shops closing, but the out of town and retail park shops seem to stay around for a lot longer than the town ones.

You mean like Borders, Comet & Sports Direct....

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Dec 2 2012, 07:59 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

Yes, among others. Isn't sports direct doing a roaring trade? Borders was a national high street chain who happened to have one retail park unit here, and Comet which was around for ages has only just gone.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Dec 2 2012, 08:18 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (Strafin @ Dec 2 2012, 07:59 PM) *
Yes, among others. Isn't sports direct doing a roaring trade? Borders was a national high street chain who happened to have one retail park unit here, and Comet which was around for ages has only just gone.

So what? They all went bust as have others - MFI, Mothercare, I'm sure you can think of others. It's no longer High St v Retail Park, online shopping and the 'sell everything' superstores (Tesco, Sainsburys) are taking sales away from everyone else.

Town centres will increasingly become places for boutique shopping and leisure (coffee shops, restaurants, etc) - not sure what will happen in retail parks - replaced by US-style malls perhaps.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 08:24 AM