> Still no Newbury tip pass yet
user23
post Oct 9 2016, 12:08 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 50

QUOTE (On the edge @ Oct 9 2016, 11:30 AM) *
So what? I seem to remember a very large number round here didn't want the Vodafone development. Isn't the fracking issue a national issue; same reaction can be expected in any locality where it was proposed. In fact, this particular issue demonstrates why centralising things is actually fairer and better.
Blimey, that's a fairly contemptuous of local people's views coming from one of our local politicians there.

I take it you voted Remain then, as you think centralising things is actually fairer and better?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Oct 9 2016, 12:50 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (user23 @ Oct 9 2016, 01:08 PM) *
Blimey, that's a fairly contemptuous of local people's views coming from one of our local politicians there.

I take it you voted Remain then, as you think centralising things is actually fairer and better?

No, quite the reverse! I certainly hope I'm not a 'local' politician, and getting closer as made me even less inclined. Seeing things at close quarters brings them into sharp focus; if you do a dispassionate a analysis, the existing system is damaged beyond repair. Until we can get a mechanisim that delivers real local accountability, nothing will change. What real power does a local council have over any service it delivers? Where does the bulk of their money come from? What real difference in services is Joe Average wanting to see when he has a choice of house in different local authority areas? When we are scrabbling around for coins behind the sofa to pay for essential services, we really can't afford the comic opera going on between District and parish level councils.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
user23
post Oct 9 2016, 12:54 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Oct 9 2016, 01:50 PM) *
No, quite the reverse! I certainly hope I'm not a 'local' politician, and getting closer as made me even less inclined. Seeing things at close quarters brings them into sharp focus; if you do a dispassionate a analysis, the existing system is damaged beyond repair. Until we can get a mechanisim that delivers real local accountability, nothing will change. What real power does a local council have over any service it delivers? Where does the bulk of their money come from? What real difference in services is Joe Average wanting to see when he has a choice of house in different local authority areas? When we are scrabbling around for coins behind the sofa to pay for essential services, we really can't afford the comic opera going on between District and parish level councils.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Oct 9 2016, 02:51 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Oct 9 2016, 01:54 PM) *

Quite the reverse. I voted Brexit to leave the stultifying, dead hand of the un representative self satisfied bureaucracy that epitomises the EU. Far from encouraging fairness, it's doing the opposite. The idea is great, the institutionalised incompetence isn't - get the picture?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
user23
post Oct 9 2016, 07:13 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Oct 9 2016, 03:51 PM) *
Quite the reverse. I voted Brexit to leave the stultifying, dead hand of the un representative self satisfied bureaucracy that epitomises the EU. Far from encouraging fairness, it's doing the opposite. The idea is great, the institutionalised incompetence isn't - get the picture?
You said centralising things is actually fairer and better, yet you voted against it in the EU Referendum.

Can't have it both ways mate. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Oct 9 2016, 07:57 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Oct 9 2016, 08:13 PM) *
You said centralising things is actually fairer and better, yet you voted against it in the EU Referendum.

Can't have it both ways mate. biggrin.gif

Of course I can. Get rid of unnecessary, expensive and incompentent bureacracy either side of our parliament. What's wrong with that? What properly focussed organisation hasn't done exactly the same.

Centralising things properly doesn't actually mean loss of democratic or indeed local input IF the organisation set up to deliver the service is created properly. After all, that's exactly what's happening with schools right now.

Odd, I thought you'd get that.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
user23
post Oct 9 2016, 08:19 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Oct 9 2016, 08:57 PM) *
Of course I can. Get rid of unnecessary, expensive and incompentent bureacracy either side of our parliament. What's wrong with that? What properly focussed organisation hasn't done exactly the same.

Centralising things properly doesn't actually mean loss of democratic or indeed local input IF the organisation set up to deliver the service is created properly. After all, that's exactly what's happening with schools right now.

Centralising things would be giving more power to Brussels, not one of 28 regional parliaments taking back control.

What's happening with schools right now is a fair few are close to going bust.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Oct 9 2016, 08:35 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Oct 9 2016, 09:19 PM) *
Centralising things would be giving more power to Brussels, not one of 28 regional parliaments taking back control.

What's happening with schools right now is a fair few are close to going bust.

Sigh, no, now we have Brexit, centralisation will just give more power to Westminister, actually finalising a process already underway.

As for schools, yes, failures finish; what's wrong with that? Equally, 'close to going bust' is a million miles from actually doing so. Most competent organisations I know operate on a financial knife edge, very successfully, as the saying goes, every penny counts. Do you know any public sector finance officer who'd say in public he had enough money? laugh.gif

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
user23
post Oct 9 2016, 08:40 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Oct 9 2016, 09:35 PM) *
Sigh, no, now we have Brexit, centralisation will just give more power to Westminister, actually finalising a process already underway.

As for schools, yes, failures finish; what's wrong with that? Equally, 'close to going bust' is a million miles from actually doing so. Most competent organisations I know operate on a financial knife edge, very successfully, as the saying goes, every penny counts. Do you know any public sector finance officer who'd say in public he had enough money? laugh.gif
Sign, no, Brexit is exactly the opposite of centralisation.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Oct 9 2016, 08:45 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Oct 9 2016, 09:40 PM) *
Sign, no, Brexit is exactly the opposite of centralisation.

Don't you understand the concept of sovereignty? That's what Brexit is about. Like it or not, the majority in the Country are not internationalists. It's disenjenuous to suggest otherwise.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
user23
post Oct 9 2016, 08:57 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Oct 9 2016, 09:45 PM) *
Don't you understand the concept of sovereignty? That's what Brexit is about. Like it or not, the majority in the Country are not internationalists. It's disenjenuous to suggest otherwise.
We were discussing centralisation. You said you support that approach.

Then we discussed Brexit which is essentially decentralisation from Europe. You said you support that too.

You're either confused or on the wind up, taking two contrary points on the same topic.

Either way, I'm out.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Oct 10 2016, 06:09 AM
Post #52

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Oct 9 2016, 09:57 PM) *
We were discussing centralisation. You said you support that approach.

Then we discussed Brexit which is essentially decentralisation from Europe. You said you support that too.

You're either confused or on the wind up, taking two contrary points on the same topic.

Either way, I'm out.

By your elementary logic, and your previous responses take it that you are a 'Remainer' couple that with what you've said here means you must strongly support my contention that centralisation is the way forward, so we are both looking forward to the abolition of WBC.

Either way, you know you can't sustain your position, so of course you are out!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Oct 10 2016, 08:55 AM
Post #53

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (user23 @ Oct 9 2016, 09:57 PM) *
Then we discussed Brexit which is essentially decentralisation from Europe.

I don't see it as decentralisation. More like raise-the-drawbridge inward looking centralisation.

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Oct 13 2016, 11:58 AM
Post #54

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

Back on topic, this guy is less than happy with the new permit system

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Oct 13 2016, 02:34 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

You couldn't make it up, could you?

+Quote Post
HJD
post Oct 13 2016, 02:56 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

Member No.: 322

Ah well it seems those over the border in Hampshire are going to get permits after all, although they have got to wait till Christmas though rolleyes.gif .

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Oct 13 2016, 03:55 PM
Post #57

Advanced Member

QUOTE (HJD @ Oct 13 2016, 03:56 PM) *
Ah well it seems those over the border in Hampshire are going to get permits after all, although they have got to wait till Christmas though rolleyes.gif .

So, then, back to square one, except some of us still can't use the dump because we turn up in a WBC licenced taxi, and we have been issued with passes checked by paid staff when we turn up.

Mmm, yet another sparkling success for our superb local authority.

As a previous response pointed out; you couldn't make it up!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 13 2016, 05:14 PM
Post #58

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

The big question is: is this actually saving ANY MONEY! If it is, is it worth the aggro this causes everyone! angry.gif

+Quote Post
Rdg
post Oct 13 2016, 10:43 PM
Post #59

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,577

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Oct 13 2016, 06:14 PM) *
The big question is: is this actually saving ANY MONEY! If it is, is it worth the aggro this causes everyone! angry.gif

As i stated before on average it can not be saving the tax payer money as no reading, newbury and hants all have permit systems and paid staff checking that they didnt before

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:09 AM