IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Muppetry at Thatcham Level Crossing Today, What on earth was going on?
Washwaterman
post Jan 14 2015, 12:29 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,018

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jan 14 2015, 10:52 AM) *
No!, you don't say!! ohmy.gif

No, can't do that. All to do with safe stopping distances etc. You need to look at facts a bit more before making assumptions.
Obviously not for the fast trains but they Manage it in Holland and other parts of the world
They do. (If the trains is heading towards Reading and there is no other train coming).
Granted but not every time

Like to know how many times you cross the crossing.

20 minutes? The Ghost Train? what on earth are you talking about?
You need to look at facts a bit more before making assumptions.
Ghost train, yes been seen it or not barriers down then raised with no train going through FACT.

By who? It's discussed on here enough.
Various times this topic has been raised
Here is a page where you can submit comments / suggesti
ons regarding the crossing to NR.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jan 14 2015, 12:42 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

Actually, just noticed the slogan at the top of the page on the link.
"Level crossings.
They're not time wasters, They're life savers."

tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Washwaterman
post Jan 14 2015, 03:01 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 9,018

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jan 14 2015, 12:42 PM) *
"Level crossings.

tongue.gif

Feel my life ebbing away the amount of time I spend waiting there biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
motormad
post Jan 14 2015, 04:19 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jan 14 2015, 12:42 PM) *
"Level crossings.

tongue.gif

they can be both.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jan 14 2015, 10:26 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Washwaterman @ Jan 14 2015, 04:01 PM) *
Feel my life ebbing away the amount of time I spend waiting there biggrin.gif

I agree, it is a problem, but I get annoyed at some of the misunderstandings held by many of why the barriers are down for the time they are.
There is no easy (cheap) solution.
Crossings are a legacy from the past when roads were not a consideration when building a railway. (There was not much on them!)
All I know is that no more are being built (or have been for many years) and NR is keen to remove as many as possible. There are probably many other crossings that cause as much road congestion. (And probably much more in many cases.)
How far Thatcham is down the priority list for removal I would not know.
Perhaps WWMan's inquiries with NR may enlighten us.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 14 2015, 11:36 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

I seems to me, despite your sneering, the most practical available tool is a gate down app. I was trialist and was unhappy about some of the ways it works, but I miss it. It is great to know if the next half hour are predicted as busy, and if you are caught, you can see roughly how longs you will be sat. This knowledge really does help to reduce the annoyance when held up.

Considering the relative modest expense, it as sad that Network Rail were not interested in help finance the development.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jan 15 2015, 10:18 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 15 2015, 12:36 AM) *
I seems to me, despite your sneering, the most practical available tool is a gate down app. I was trialist and was unhappy about some of the ways it works, but I miss it. It is great to know if the next half hour are predicted as busy, and if you are caught, you can see roughly how longs you will be sat. This knowledge really does help to reduce the annoyance when held up.

Considering the relative modest expense, it as sad that Network Rail were not interested in help finance the development.

I agree, some sort of on-line system that can reliably tell people when the barriers will be down would be extremely useful.
The reason I "sneer" is that, due to the unpredictability of the railway operation, I fail to see how such a system can possibly reliable predict when the barriers will be down in sufficient time to allow users to plan and use an alternative route, or to change their planned travelling time.
I have, however, throughout wished the scheme "good luck"! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 15 2015, 11:13 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jan 15 2015, 10:18 AM) *
The reason I "sneer" is that, due to the unpredictability of the railway operation, I fail to see how such a system can possibly reliable predict when the barriers will be down in sufficient time to allow users to plan and use an alternative route, or to change their planned travelling time.

OK, so this useful, but...

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jan 15 2015, 10:18 AM) *
I agree, some sort of on-line system that can reliably tell people when the barriers will be down would be extremely useful.

...this isn't? huh.gif

Like I said, one useful feature is to recognise periods of the next hour that have high possibility of being caught and when I there is a low possibility. Another handy feature (for the millionth time) is that when sat there waiting, being able to see roughly how long you will be is half the battle against frustration.

Your apparent sarcasm with your good luck messages is obvious. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Blake
post Jan 16 2015, 09:25 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 75

But would an app tell you if the barriers were stuck down and broken?; that was the problem we all had on the 12th.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jan 16 2015, 10:03 AM
Post #30

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 16 2015, 12:13 AM) *
OK, so this useful, but...

...this isn't? huh.gif

Your apparent sarcasm with your good luck messages is obvious. wink.gif

The emphasis being on the word "reliable" in both cases AC.
Seriously I wish it luck.
One of the rare cases where I would like to be proved wrong. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 16 2015, 12:02 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jan 16 2015, 10:03 AM) *
The emphasis being on the word "reliable" in both cases AC.
Seriously I wish it luck.
One of the rare cases where I would like to be proved wrong. wink.gif

It is not 100% reliable, but it doesn't need to be. What happens is, after a while, you get to know times that are safer, that's how the app worked for me. If I did get caught out, I'd check the app and get an idea how long I will be waiting, I would then have a choice to bother going a different way, or just holding out.

The blurb is here: http://levelx.info/index.php/how-it-works

It's around 97% accurate, whatever that means. rolleyes.gif

My view is I like the idea, but I'm not keen on the solution (for iPhone).

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jan 17 2015, 10:13 AM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

It might ‘work’ but is it ‘useful’?

Why I see this app as being a waste of bandwidth is that whilst it might give some basic level of information on how long you might have to wait, that doesn’t of course take into account how far back you might be in the queue of traffic. Drivers have to factor in whether it’s worth waiting in the queue and whether the vehicles in front of them will get to the crossing before the barriers come down again. And even then, once you’ve committed to come down Crookham Hill on the assumption that you’ll make it to the crossing but then are faced with a long queue of cars, there’s not much you can do about it. Turning around on that narrow road isn’t an option (especially as you may be half way through a 3 point turn by the time the barriers open and a convoy of speeding and frustrated drivers from the Thatcham side race towards you.

It’s something to play with as you site in the car. Not really much use though.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 17 2015, 11:12 AM
Post #33

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Jan 17 2015, 10:13 AM) *
It might ‘work’ but is it ‘useful’?

Why I see this app as being a waste of bandwidth is that whilst it might give some basic level of information on how long you might have to wait, that doesn’t of course take into account how far back you might be in the queue of traffic. Drivers have to factor in whether it’s worth waiting in the queue and whether the vehicles in front of them will get to the crossing before the barriers come down again. And even then, once you’ve committed to come down Crookham Hill on the assumption that you’ll make it to the crossing but then are faced with a long queue of cars, there’s not much you can do about it. Turning around on that narrow road isn’t an option (especially as you may be half way through a 3 point turn by the time the barriers open and a convoy of speeding and frustrated drivers from the Thatcham side race towards you.

It’s something to play with as you site in the car. Not really much use though.

You obviously don't read well. rolleyes.gif

No, it's not perfect, but I have already explained how it can be useful and it doesn't take a nuclear physicist to work out that if the app says the gates will be down from 0800 to 0815 and then again from 0816 to 0821 in the morning, the queue is gonna be big immediately after! Notwithstanding there are queues both sides, so while some of your councillor mates might struggle to 3 point turn their Vogues on Crookham Hill, that problem isn't so great the other side. Also, if you are in a long queue, if you check the app, you can check how long the barriers will be up, because if it is only for a minute or so before they go down again, you can decide to bail.

The point for all you dingbats is that it gives you easy and readable access to information that tells you the quietest periods in the hour. I found after a while I didn't really need the app as I had started to learn the time periods.

So to answer your question: yes, it is useful, but it is not perfect. My gripe is with the program, not the idea.

HOWEVER, it is the only available help we have with the problem.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jan 17 2015, 12:52 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 17 2015, 01:12 PM) *
it doesn't take a nuclear physicist to work out that if the app says the gates will be down from 0800 to 0815 and then again from 0816 to 0821 in the morning,

But again I don't see how it can do this.
The gates are operated manually at the demand of approaching trains.
If one of those trains is late, or is delayed for some reason (or possibly even early!!) how can it predict a manual action?
It is often down to seconds as to whether the signaller keeps the barriers down between trains or raises them.
If the app. gives inaccurate information then surely it is a hindrance rather than a help?
I know trains run to a timetable but, as everyone knows, this can and does change.
There are so many factors which can influence this.
I am sorry but, having a knowledge of how railways and signalling work, I am finding it difficult to see how a system like this can predict accurately an operation which changes constantly as the situation demands.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 17 2015, 01:26 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jan 17 2015, 12:52 PM) *
I am sorry but, having a knowledge of how railways and signalling work

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jan 17 2015, 12:52 PM) *
I am finding it difficult to see how a system like this can predict accurately an operation which changes constantly as the situation demands.

It isn't necessarily about predicting accurately all the time; every time (although it would be nice)!!! If you get caught occasionally, so what, on average the system worked. Occasionally it didn't. I was able to see after a while when the high-risk times were and when the low risk times were: what is so freakin' hard to understand about that!!!

Take this image as an example.

]

I would look at this and think that between 0720 and 0725 is a good time to pick, given that trains are not often more than a few minutes late. If I was due at the crossing at 0710 then I'd consider an alternative route because it is waiting for two trains; however, if the down time was for a single HST, then I wouldn't be fussed because they usually only cause the barriers to be down for about 3 minutes.

Behind the scenes we are using data feeds from Network Rail, and also a camera giving the exact closing times of the gates. Combining these two information sources enables us to build a history of how trains run, and an accurate prediction of future closing times - including those from delayed trains and freight trains, which you can't find out from passenger timetables.

Now that I don't have the app, I do miss it. That's all the endorsement it needs for me.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jan 17 2015, 10:31 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 17 2015, 03:26 PM) *

Only stating a fact AC.
I only said that because many show their ignorance on here of how it all works.
far be it from me to blow my own trumpet eh? wink.gif
(Yourself excluded of course! tongue.gif )
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 17 2015, 03:26 PM) *
given that trains are not often more than a few minutes late.

You hear that OTE?? ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 18 2015, 08:46 AM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Yeah, I heard. Remember folks, the timetable is only for fun. Oh well, I suppose just like the trains, we have to put up with time expired technology trackside. Makes me (and a lot of others) question why we are investing in HS2 - when there is so much to put right on the old stuff.

The link you provided is fascinating. Has anyone thought of looking totally afresh at train control needs based on what is actually avaliable and safe today?

I still think UK railway engineering is amazing. For instance, it's amazing that a six year old kid can make a toy train go round a circle, but for all its clever investment TfL can't...

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jan 18 2015, 09:16 AM
Post #38

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jan 18 2015, 10:46 AM) *
The link you provided is fascinating. Has anyone thought of looking totally afresh at train control needs based on what is actually avaliable and safe today?

This is what we will have in the future on most main lines.
It will gradually be integrated into the new electric trains on GW.
I wonder if the timescales given will be achieved?. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 18 2015, 11:40 AM
Post #39

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jan 18 2015, 09:16 AM) *
This is what we will have in the future on most main lines.
It will gradually be integrated into the new electric trains on GW.
I wonder if the timescales given will be achieved?. rolleyes.gif

Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error
Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

tongue.gif

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jan 18 2015, 07:04 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

Interesting stuff but I had to give up on the video after a short while. The thumping bass line hurt my ears and also drowned out the commentary. Shame, because it looked interesting.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 06:42 PM