> He's gone.
Turin Machine
post Mar 14 2018, 10:07 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,104

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/...6-a8254836.html

I bet he's up on a cloud arguing with the gods about creation. A truly amazing man, possibly a greater mind than Einstein, possibly the greatest mind ever. A loss to science and to the world. We will miss you.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Mar 14 2018, 10:29 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Mar 14 2018, 10:07 AM) *
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/...6-a8254836.html

I bet he's up on a cloud arguing with the gods about creation. A truly amazing man, possibly a greater mind than Einstein, possibly the greatest mind ever. A loss to science and to the world. We will miss you.

A man of truly staggering intellect, I can just see that, Stephen at a lectern, an audience of saints and angels, Al looking at one another and thinking " we wuz wrong!" Makes me smile. Bless him. Wife bought me his book once, fascinating!

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Mar 14 2018, 11:15 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,341

Great loss but equally a great legacy. He not only answered those questions we wanted to know but also gave us the ability to see questions that were not at first apparent. One of the few times I wish there actually was a god so Prof Hawking could fill in a few blank spaces as they discussed quantum physics over a glass of vino.

--------------------
Si non prius succederent.......... relinquere

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Mar 18 2018, 06:16 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

hmmm... I don't side with the pseudo-intellectuals that mourn his passing and refer to the copy of his book that's in their possession...mostly unread... (but they have read the Amazon feedback contribution from other readers, so have a general idea)

I'm no cosmologist and don't have a deep understanding of what happened so that over a short matter of several millennia we have become what we are, but I do appreciate that he was a clever chap and he had a mind trapped in a useless body and that he did have a sense of humour as his personal contributions on The Simpsons will testify.

My knowledge and appreciation of cosmology is more on the 'general' level and is fairly well described by Mr Python....
The Galaxy 'n all that stuff

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Mar 19 2018, 09:26 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,341

QUOTE (spartacus @ Mar 18 2018, 06:16 PM) *
hmmm... I don't side with the pseudo-intellectuals that mourn his passing and refer to the copy of his book that's in their possession...mostly unread... (but they have read the Amazon feedback contribution from other readers, so have a general idea)

I'm no cosmologist and don't have a deep understanding of what happened so that over a short matter of several millennia we have become what we are, but I do appreciate that he was a clever chap and he had a mind trapped in a useless body and that he did have a sense of humour as his personal contributions on The Simpsons will testify.

My knowledge and appreciation of cosmology is more on the 'general' level and is fairly well described by Mr Python....
The Galaxy 'n all that stuff

And that, dear friends, is all we need to know. Thank you for the link.

--------------------
Si non prius succederent.......... relinquere

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:51 AM