IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

12 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Deception Training at Newbury Station, Undercover reporter at Station uncovers truth
HeatherW
post Jun 9 2015, 06:22 PM
Post #81

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 988

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 9 2015, 06:16 PM) *
I don't think anyone will get abused if they behave, but if someone starts to insult other people then it stands to reason that there will be conflict. Petra, for example, came on here an immediately started telling people how intellectually inferior they were. It was bound to get a little fruity, but the arguments here are never savage. This is a relatively friendly place.

Being a troll is a behaviour, and Petra's behaviour was evidently troll like. Trolls like to provoke people into doing or saying something bad and that is what Petra was doing.

And who decides what is good behaviour or not? You? As I said, I didn't like her arrogance, but I certainly wouldn't call her a troll. She seemed to be somebody who looked down at the low life from their lofty perch. I agree with you that one should fight fire with fire, but shouting Troll all the time demeans the shouter and basically says he or she has nothing else to give. I agree with GMR, be a bit more creative.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 9 2015, 06:25 PM
Post #82

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 9 2015, 07:20 PM) *
I don't love the word 'troll', I just try to use the appropriate word for a given situation. My preference is that we can discuss, debate, argue, about items, I'd rather we never had to resort to childish squabbles.

Didn't she say - if a remember rightly - that she read this forum before joining? If that is the case she learnt and picked up the bad habits of those that infested this forum. That was her big mistake.

It is not just her, but anybody that comes on here and says something controversial is called a troll. I think the real trolls are the ones that actually infest this forum.

+Quote Post
HeatherW
post Jun 9 2015, 06:27 PM
Post #83

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Jun 9 2015, 06:25 PM) *
Didn't she say - if a remember rightly - that she read this forum before joining? If that is the case she learnt and picked up the bad habits of those that infested this forum. That was her big mistake.

It is not just her, but anybody that comes on here and says something controversial is called a troll. I think the real trolls are the ones that actually infest this forum.

Seeing as you are one of the top contributors on here,, along with Andy Capp and a few others, then I presume you are one of those that infest? Any good exterminators on here?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 9 2015, 06:28 PM
Post #84

Advanced Member

QUOTE (HeatherW @ Jun 9 2015, 07:27 PM) *
Seeing as you are one of the top contributors on here,, along with Andy Capp and a few others, then I presume you are one of those that infest? Any good exterminators on here?

Very witty laugh.gif

+Quote Post
HeatherW
post Jun 9 2015, 06:30 PM
Post #85

Advanced Member

On a seriously note, let us respect each other and debate the issues or ignore them, but cheap throwaway comments does not help anybody and only brings this forum and ones self into disrepute. Maybe if that happened more will come and join in.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 9 2015, 06:32 PM
Post #86

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (GMR @ Jun 9 2015, 07:25 PM) *

I don't believe that is true, but even if it was, it is hardly the most shocking term to throw at someone. If I have wrote it I am happy to stand-up and explain why if any one wants to ask or show me where. And if any one is offended, PM me and I will will deal with it accordingly.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 9 2015, 06:36 PM
Post #87

Advanced Member

QUOTE (HeatherW @ Jun 9 2015, 07:30 PM) *
On a seriously note, let us respect each other and debate the issues or ignore them, but cheap throwaway comments does not help anybody and only brings this forum and ones self into disrepute. Maybe if that happened more will come and join in.

Hear, hear.

Accusations like the ones above (the 'T' word) are referenced when I have feared a conversation is being deliberately side tracked or a thread is being deliberately 'spoiled'. It is not anything malicious, but is only to serve as a warning to people that they might be being suckered.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 9 2015, 06:38 PM
Post #88

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 9 2015, 07:32 PM) *
I don't believe that is true, but even if it was, it is hardly the most shocking term to throw at someone. If I have wrote it I am happy to stand-up and explain why if any one wants to ask or show me where. And if any one is offended, PM me and I will will deal with it accordingly.

For you and I such terminology isn't a problem, we give as good as we get. But for others it just gets in the way and they leave. As I said; we should be debating the points raised and fight back where necessary, but throwing the word trolls at people isn't very helpful; just annoying. She annoyed me, but I didn't throw the word "troll" at her, I just persisted.

+Quote Post
HeatherW
post Jun 9 2015, 06:43 PM
Post #89

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 9 2015, 06:36 PM) *
Hear, hear.

Accusations like the ones above (the 'T' word) are referenced when I have feared a conversation is being deliberately side tracked or a thread is being deliberately 'spoiled'. It is not anything malicious, but is only to serve as a warning to people that they might be being suckered.

But as I previously said. Who gave you the mods job to give out warning? And who decides what is a warning? You are just one person, but talk as if you are a mod. This is not a single persons forum, but the proprietors of this forum.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 9 2015, 06:48 PM
Post #90

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Jun 9 2015, 07:38 PM) *
For you and I such terminology isn't a problem, we give as good as we get. But for others it just gets in the way and they leave. As I said; we should be debating the points raised and fight back where necessary, but throwing the word trolls at people isn't very helpful; just annoying. She annoyed me, but I didn't throw the word "troll" at her, I just persisted.

If that's all I did, perhaps, but it wasn't.

Remember this post GMR?

http://forum.newburytoday.co.uk/index.php?...st&p=102168

And this one?

http://forum.newburytoday.co.uk/index.php?...l=&pid=2541

wink.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 9 2015, 06:50 PM
Post #91

Advanced Member

QUOTE (HeatherW @ Jun 9 2015, 07:43 PM) *
But as I previously said. Who gave you the mods job to give out warning? And who decides what is a warning? You are just one person, but talk as if you are a mod. This is not a single persons forum, but the proprietors of this forum.

You seemed to have missed my point. Warning people that there is 'T-word' about is to try to stop a flame war or similar. People are free to ignore me and I don't care if they do.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 9 2015, 08:10 PM
Post #92

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 9 2015, 07:48 PM) *
If that's all I did, perhaps, but it wasn't.

Remember this post GMR?

http://forum.newburytoday.co.uk/index.php?...st&p=102168

And this one?

http://forum.newburytoday.co.uk/index.php?...l=&pid=2541

wink.gif

Apart from posts I see nothing special.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 9 2015, 08:13 PM
Post #93

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 9 2015, 07:50 PM) *
You seemed to have missed my point. Warning people that there is 'T-word' about is to try to stop a flame war or similar. People are free to ignore me and I don't care if they do.

I am with you Andy; tell her who is in charge and if she causes problems troll her out of the forum. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 9 2015, 08:52 PM
Post #94

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Jun 9 2015, 09:10 PM) *
Apart from posts I see nothing special.

Well back then you seem to be agreeing with me, but now you have changed your tune so that you might have a go at me; there's a word for people behaving like that! tongue.gif

QUOTE (GMR @ Apr 1 2015, 08:19 PM) *
QUOTE (Andy Capp)

What people on hear need to be weary of is trolling. I thought with the new member(s) that we could have some engaging debate, but as has been demonstrated, their posts are as ridiculous as the posters they claim to resent.

Wait until the elections out of the way and we can get bac to normal! tongue.gif

Beware the troll!

I Agee.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 9 2015, 09:01 PM
Post #95

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 9 2015, 09:52 PM) *
Well back then you seem to be agreeing with me, but now you have changed your tune so that you might have a go at me; there's a word for people behaving like that! tongue.gif

Genius?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 9 2015, 09:08 PM
Post #96

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 9 2015, 09:52 PM) *

I Agee.

Yes, but which parts was I agreeing with, that is the question.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 10 2015, 08:18 AM
Post #97

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Jun 9 2015, 10:08 PM) *
Yes, but which parts was I agreeing with, that is the question.

I'd imagine it will only be the parts that are least damaging to your previous point of view.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 10 2015, 08:29 AM
Post #98

Advanced Member

QUOTE (HeatherW @ Jun 9 2015, 07:22 PM) *
And who decides what is good behaviour or not? You? As I said, I didn't like her arrogance, but I certainly wouldn't call her a troll. She seemed to be somebody who looked down at the low life from their lofty perch. I agree with you that one should fight fire with fire, but shouting Troll all the time demeans the shouter and basically says he or she has nothing else to give. I agree with GMR, be a bit more creative.

You make it sound like that accusing someone as trolling was the only thing I did. In any case that is not true as I tried to engage too. In deed, I'd say I was one of the more engaging of the members here, like trying to show examples of why I thought Petra's case was flawed and things like that. The other thing is, I don't necessarily believe in fighting fire with fire, it is just that some people can be forgiven for reacting to people who show a large amount of disrespect. We all have a our moments, but with Petra it was relentless.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Jun 10 2015, 02:49 PM
Post #99

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

Indeed I think Petra was trying to be Newburys Katie Hopkins but with shall we say, a lot less finesse, and no matter what evidence or facts was brought forward would always try and put an opposite spin on any reply. I think perhaps it could be judged that both sides of the Forum were embarrassed to be associated with any of Petra's input! rolleyes.gif

I don't think anyone has to have any guilty feelings about Petra's leaving the forum, Petra just ran out of steam. Petra was just unable to keep up the pretense any longer I believe, no one could be like that in real life, I sincerely hope anyway? unsure.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 10 2015, 03:15 PM
Post #100

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 10 2015, 09:18 AM) *
I'd imagine it will only be the parts that are least damaging to your previous point of view.

What is, what is, whatever point it is coming from.

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 03:39 PM