IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Deception Training at Newbury Station, Undercover reporter at Station uncovers truth
Biker1
post Jun 5 2015, 08:07 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 4 2015, 07:46 PM) *
I'm glad I wasn't using the bloody things today.

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/news/home/14...ng-between.html

Just a slight adjustment to their text: "Passengers travelling between the two stations were originally being warned to expect even more delays, the usual revised services and even fewer trains than normal until 5pm today (Thurs)."

There were NO major disruptions to train services between Newbury and London yesterday no trains were cancelled.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 5 2015, 08:14 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (gel @ Jun 4 2015, 05:29 PM) *
Interesting BBC4 prog I came across last night on BR.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b053p...of-british-rail

Thanks for sharing that Gel; a fascinating social history. Sadly, much the same could be written about the nations whole commercial endevour post war. Yes, we've always had the moaners and groaners, but that's just a British thing. At least then, we did have the organisations and firms fighting back and fighting forward. Not just seeing how much money they could extract for the minimum effort. Sure, the trades unions, or at least the usual gobs, did enormous damage, but then again where was British management? Aaah I remember, the dinner gong sounded and they were already near the trough. We ended the last war with an attitude of what can I do rather than what can I grab. Sadly, we worship the god of gold today, and until that changes, no hope. So then, who killed British Rail? We did.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jun 5 2015, 08:31 AM
Post #23

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jun 5 2015, 09:14 AM) *
Thanks for sharing that Gel; a fascinating social history. Sadly, much the same could be written about the nations whole commercial endevour post war. Yes, we've always had the moaners and groaners, but that's just a British thing. At least then, we did have the organisations and firms fighting back and fighting forward. Not just seeing how much money they could extract for the minimum effort. Sure, the trades unions, or at least the usual gobs, did enormous damage, but then again where was British management? Aaah I remember, the dinner gong sounded and they were already near the trough. We ended the last war with an attitude of what can I do rather than what can I grab. Sadly, we worship the god of gold today, and until that changes, no hope. So then, who killed British Rail? We did.

Quite right OTE. What you are saying is that a good number of the people who travel on and complain about the privatised railway voted for the government that did the killing? sad.gif

( I am enjoying this............makes a change from the endless council orientated threads biggrin.gif )
(Although I get the feeling this forum is dying ....much like the Newbury Community Forum. Sign of the times I suppose Even Petra has given up!!.)

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 5 2015, 11:13 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jun 5 2015, 09:07 AM) *
There were NO major disruptions to train services between Newbury and London yesterday no trains were cancelled.

What does major mean? The problem is, issuing those warnings means one is 'obliged' to make contingencies, so there would have been a distraction, even if there wasn't one.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 5 2015, 11:16 AM
Post #25

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jun 5 2015, 09:31 AM) *
Quite right OTE. What you are saying is that a good number of the people who travel on and complain about the privatised railway voted for the government that did the killing? sad.gif

( I am enjoying this............makes a change from the endless council orientated threads biggrin.gif )
(Although I get the feeling this forum is dying ....much like the Newbury Community Forum. Sign of the times I suppose Even Petra has given up!!.)

Petra was a pre-election distraction.

Isn't it the case the railways were broken up because it was not affordable?

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Jun 5 2015, 12:26 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

( I am enjoying this............makes a change from the endless council orientated threads.

Some have different tales to tell. SK,CF,B1,OTE and others are all posting on F/B...not sure about Petra though.

And I do as well

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 5 2015, 12:41 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 5 2015, 12:16 PM) *
Petra was a pre-election distraction.

Isn't it the case the railways were broken up because it was not affordable?

Or so we were told! If that was really the case, why did the sell off attract buyers? Does that mean the Tories could be sued for misselling?

It's a known that no effective or economic transport system works without public subsidy. As well demonstrated in Japan, Germany, France and indeed the States! In reality, road transport doesn't either, but the full costs there are well hidden.

Good example simply to demonstrate is tramways. Many European cities still have thus effective means of local public transport. In the UK, there are examples in the north and down here in Croydon. However, the UK killed them off stone dead. Why? We made the tram operator pay to keep and maintain the highway they used for their tracks. A bus just paid a road fund disc.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 5 2015, 03:20 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jun 5 2015, 09:05 AM) *
You crack me up GMR! biggrin.gif BR does not exist any more and to use the term is incorrect and misleading. Or is my lack of intelligence telling me something wrong there? tongue.gif

I am glad I crack you up, it is a gift, after all.

Yes, I know BR doesn't exist, but only misleading to those that are not informed... so I apologise for misleading you; but those that are a bit more wiser will have got it. wink.gif

As for a lack of intelligence on your part; anything is possible on here (but then again you did say it) tongue.gif

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 5 2015, 09:01 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jun 5 2015, 09:31 AM) *

I suppose the way it was privatised didn't help, political dogma never does. At the end of the day BR just needed a more effective finance model and (along with the rest of British Industry at the time) better management so that the trades unions could be faced down.

In my view, the choice between Morrisonian nationalisation or PLC privatisation is wholly bogus. There are several other and probably better alternatives. The biggest culprits in my book are the Labour Party who simply deleted Clause 4 and became red in tooth and claw Thatcher Tories.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 5 2015, 10:22 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jun 5 2015, 10:01 PM) *
I suppose the way it was privatised didn't help, political dogma never does. At the end of the day BR just needed a more effective finance model and (along with the rest of British Industry at the time) better management so that the trades unions could be faced down.

Er.. that is true of everything!

Government finances run a tight-rope and with that in mind Governments have little power. Thatcher beat the miners by stock-piling coal and the miners basically run out of money before the stock-pile run out. With trains there wasn't the luxury of such an item, until Thatcher gave the rail staff a mortgage to finance that is.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 6 2015, 06:05 AM
Post #31

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 5 2015, 11:22 PM) *
Er.. that is true of everything!

Government finances run a tight-rope and with that in mind Governments have little power. Thatcher beat the miners by stock-piling coal and the miners basically run out of money before the stock-pile run out. With trains there wasn't the luxury of such an item, until Thatcher gave the rail staff a mortgage to finance that is.

There should have been no need for those fights in the first place. At the time Britain was known as the sick man of Europe, our industrial relations record and industrial output appalling. Even the Labour party recognised that. Something drastic was needed and the Thatcher way was brutal. OK with that, but the cure killed the patient. Market forces are fine, IF there is a real market.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jun 6 2015, 07:05 AM
Post #32

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Nothing Much @ Jun 5 2015, 01:26 PM) *
( I am enjoying this............makes a change from the endless council orientated threads.

Some have different tales to tell. SK,CF,B1,OTE and others are all posting on F/B...not sure about Petra though.

And I do as well

Exactly CE "social media" seems to have rendered the forum format obsolescent.
I think I'll give it a rest on here for a while now while still resisting publishing my personal life on F/B.
Many have "sussed" me anyway!! tongue.gif

Just a final thought,,,,,,,,,,,,
Will the "undercover reporter" in the programme be donating her 6 weeks salary she received from First Great Western to charity, and does she feel bad about the genuine person she denied a job?
On both counts, I doubt it!! rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jun 6 2015, 07:11 AM
Post #33

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Jun 5 2015, 04:20 PM) *
I am glad I crack you up, it is a gift, after all.

You can say that again! wink.gif
Yes, I know BR doesn't exist, but only misleading to those that are not informed... so I apologise for misleading you; but those that are a bit more wiser will have got it. wink.gif

Accuracy is important. I have a friend who's wife asked if she should go and put some petrol in the car. Without a thought he just replied "yes please" so she did...................... It was a diesel!.
As for a lack of intelligence on your part; anything is possible on here (but then again you did say it) tongue.gif

No, you did!
According to you I am both unintelligent and unwise. dry.gif
Anyway you'll be pleased to know I'm off for a bit. (See above post.) Leave it to the bright ones eh? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 6 2015, 11:55 AM
Post #34

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jun 6 2015, 08:05 AM) *
Will the "undercover reporter" in the programme be donating her 6 weeks salary she received from First great Western to charity, and does she feel bad about the genuine person she denied a job?

I like to think it is those reports that put those swindlers in the spot light; you're defending the indefensible I think. And why throw the rattle out of the pram? Why not post when you feel like it, rather than to prescription? huh.gif

Yes forums are becoming less popular, but they are a superiors debating environment. Facebook is facile and insidious.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 6 2015, 12:09 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jun 6 2015, 07:05 AM) *
There should have been no need for those fights in the first place. At the time Britain was known as the sick man of Europe, our industrial relations record and industrial output appalling. Even the Labour party recognised that. Something drastic was needed and the Thatcher way was brutal. OK with that, but the cure killed the patient. Market forces are fine, IF there is a real market.

The government was up against a formidable ideologically motivated task force. It was more than a simple matter of poor management.

+Quote Post
user23
post Jun 6 2015, 12:44 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jun 6 2015, 08:05 AM) *
Exactly CE "social media" seems to have rendered the forum format obsolescent.
I think I'll give it a rest on here for a while now while still resisting publishing my personal life on F/B.
Many have "sussed" me anyway!! tongue.gif

Just a final thought,,,,,,,,,,,,
Will the "undercover reporter" in the programme be donating her 6 weeks salary she received from First great Western to charity, and does she feel bad about the genuine person she denied a job?
On both counts, I doubt it!! rolleyes.gif
Yes, I've spotted a few regulars from here posting in at least one of the local Facebook groups.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 6 2015, 02:55 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 6 2015, 01:09 PM) *
The government was up against a formidable ideologically motivated task force. It was more than a simple matter of poor management.

That's assuming the union members were mostly sheep. It took time for that motivated task force to grow and generally they made no secret of the fact. I'd agree, there were other factors, but poor management was certainly high on the list. That's also evidenced by poor commercial performance as well. In fact, Stafford Cripps recognised this deficiency in the dire circumstances of WW2; his rationale for facilitating the set up of the British institute of management.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jun 6 2015, 09:16 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 6 2015, 12:55 PM) *
I like to think it is those reports that put those swindlers in the spot light; you're defending the indefensible I think. And why throw the rattle out of the pram? Why not post when you feel like it, rather than to prescription? huh.gif

Me again despite post #33!
FGW swindlers??
Not exactly robbing OAP's of their life savings are they?
One example in the piece was of being sold a ticket return to London which came to an excess of £12 per week over 2 singles.
If you were going to London for that number of journeys then this would not be the case, you would be sold a weekly season saving yourself around £40! As is often the case, only selected stories are told to make it saleable to the television companies and the public.

No rattle AC, just feel that forum is dying with just a few regulars now debating the same old topics. Mainly NTC and WBC . Plus the odd few who still insist on doling out the insults (more akin to F/B). So I don't "feel like" posting.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 7 2015, 06:35 AM
Post #39

Advanced Member

You are quite right Biker1. Walk into any shop, are the staff going to make any great effort to sell you the 'bottom of the range' - hardly! Of course, if you ask, you'll get. So I'd wholly agree, just media mischief. One of my regular trips is to New Malden, cheaper the 'official' way. I generally ask for a via London ticket (which suits me better) and am invariably told it costs more, never any hassle.

I wouldn't disagree about this forum either same old same old is frankly unproductive. Dare I also say, the 'other place' has all but ceased. Anyway, serious question, what would you feel like debating?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Jun 7 2015, 01:53 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

Something for Victoria Park, as it is cracked up..How about a Boules surface.

http://www.thelondonaise.co/#!event/c1uh0

Not much Inglissh to be heard, but I chatted to a nice lady from Wallingford

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 03:48 PM