> Thefts
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jul 13 2009, 09:29 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 60

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=10535

No mention of actually trying to catch the Criminals. Yes its all your fault people for leaving things for people to steal. Its not the Criminals fault at all. angry.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Good Boy Racer
post Jul 13 2009, 09:41 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 22

You have to laugh though, when i went to Basingstoke shopping centre or reading... can't remember which as they all look the same to me about a few weeks ago now. I noticed a car door was left wide open and no one around... i could of easily nicked the radio and other things that i saw in there. Instead i did the most decent thing and walked away but i did leave the door left open though... sorry but it could of been a bait car wink.gif

I've seen other things in the past and it makes you think how careless some people are. I've never been robbed and i wish to keep it that way. I'm always looking behind my back, especially in Newbury.

--------------------
"Quick, Hide something that looks like fun!"

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jul 14 2009, 08:46 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jul 13 2009, 10:29 AM) *
http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=10535

No mention of actually trying to catch the Criminals. Yes its all your fault people for leaving things for people to steal. Its not the Criminals fault at all. angry.gif

Incredible isn't it that it is now an expectation that your belongings will be stolen if you don't have a fortress mentality.
I love the sign that says "Warning, thieves operate in this area"
What a pity the Police don't!!!!!!

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 14 2009, 08:57 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

This is one thing that annoys me; people passing the buck. The police know there is a problem and should make more of an effort to deal with it.

I know somebody who had their bike stolen from town; even though the bike was locked and near a CCTV camera. All the police said to the person was that they should have had a better lock.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jul 14 2009, 09:26 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 14 2009, 09:57 AM) *
This is one thing that annoys me; people passing the buck. The police know there is a problem and should make more of an effort to deal with it.

I know somebody who had their bike stolen from town; even though the bike was locked and near a CCTV camera. All the police said to the person was that they should have had a better lock.

Yep. When my house was burgaled I got a crime number and about 50 leaflets through the post a week or so later advising me on how best to 'secure' my property. As the thieves broke my back window to gain access I guess in future I'll just have to purchase and install iron bars for my windows and also steel shutters. Welcome to Newbury. Twinned with Moss Side.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 14 2009, 09:45 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jul 14 2009, 10:26 AM) *
Yep. When my house was burgaled I got a crime number and about 50 leaflets through the post a week or so later advising me on how best to 'secure' my property. As the thieves broke my back window to gain access I guess in future I'll just have to purchase and install iron bars for my windows and also steel shutters. Welcome to Newbury. Twinned with Moss Side.

Yes, but if you put steel bars in and one of the thieves gets stuck you could be prosecuted for hurting the little darlings. You should be putting something up that doesn’t compromise the health or safety of the thief.

Near where I live a lamp post was destroyed, however, the police know who did it. When I asked them why they didn’t prosecute the culprit they said that they didn’t have “proof”. What! If they didn’t have proof then how did they know who did it?

Fire Tree school had ties ripped from their roof. The police wouldn't prosecute because they were under age.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jul 14 2009, 09:50 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jul 14 2009, 10:26 AM) *

Me too. I was burgaled and had the same experience.
Come on Justice System time to protect us, the people who are paying for it. Not council and compensate the low-life that is livng off of us

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 14 2009, 09:53 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jul 14 2009, 10:50 AM) *
Come on Justice System time to protect us, the people who are paying for it. Not council and compensate the low-life that is livng off of us

I also witnessed a crime in action (i.e. the culprits could have been caught) and I phoned the police to say what was happening at that moment.... two days later they came out. That tells you everything.

+Quote Post
Andy
post Jul 14 2009, 12:09 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 26

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jul 14 2009, 10:50 AM) *

I got burgled last year, the police arrived within an hour of phonig them, took statements and details of missing items. SOCO arrived withing 4 hours (after working on a murder case) and they had caught the thief within 2 days in Southampton. So they are not always bad

--------------------

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 14 2009, 12:11 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy @ Jul 14 2009, 01:09 PM) *
I got burgled last year, the police arrived within an hour of phonig them, took statements and details of missing items. SOCO arrived withing 4 hours (after working on a murder case) and they had caught the thief within 2 days in Southampton. So they are not always bad

I agree that they are not always bad, but they should be consistent.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jul 14 2009, 12:15 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 14 2009, 01:11 PM) *
I agree that they are not always bad, but they should be consistent.

Perhaps I'm being cynical, but I wonder if post codes have anything to do with the level of response... (Do I need to elaborate?)

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jul 14 2009, 12:22 PM
Post #12

Guests

My wife was mugged when she was visibly pregnant back in 2002, the male and female who did it were in custody within a couple of hours and went to prison for it.

I hope things haven't got a lot worse since then, but from the majority of posts on here, fear that it this is the case.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 14 2009, 01:48 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jul 14 2009, 01:15 PM) *
Perhaps I'm being cynical, but I wonder if post codes have anything to do with the level of response... (Do I need to elaborate?)

That has already been suggest and in fact been proven to be the case. No; you are not being cynical.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 14 2009, 02:13 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 14 2009, 02:48 PM) *
That has already been suggest and in fact been proven to be the case. No; you are not being cynical.

I'd be interested in know where you found this out. I wouldn't mind betting that certain areas are regarded as more 'important' than others.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 14 2009, 02:19 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 14 2009, 03:13 PM) *
I'd be interested in know where you found this out. I wouldn't mind betting that certain areas are regarded as more 'important' than others.

You can’t always be specific. I got it from talking to the police. I am on a NAG committee. I also got it from various news style programmes and reading. Not everybody takes notes every time they hear something interesting.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 14 2009, 02:45 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 14 2009, 03:19 PM) *
You can’t always be specific. I got it from talking to the police. I am on a NAG committee. I also got it from various news style programmes and reading. Not everybody takes notes every time they hear something interesting.

True, but I don't think one should say, 'proven fact'. What you state seems to be hearsay, albeit one that wouldn't surprise me.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 14 2009, 03:08 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 14 2009, 03:45 PM) *
True, but I don't think one should say, 'proven fact'. What you state seems to be hearsay, albeit one that wouldn't surprise me.

If you mean because I get my information from the papers (such as the Economist) and programmes like Newsnight etc then so be it. You also seem to be saying that the only think that can be relied upon is what the polls and proper research confirm. Such research and polls said that Wilson would win the 1970 election; he didn’t. As for proper channels; most of the time they are contradictory. So what are you left with? You’ve offered nothing to contradict my “hearsay” other than trying to be clever.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 14 2009, 03:18 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 14 2009, 04:08 PM) *
If you mean because I get my information from the papers (such as the Economist) and programmes like Newsnight etc then so be it. You also seem to be saying that the only think that can be relied upon is what the polls and proper research confirm. Such research and polls said that Wilson would win the 1970 election; he didn’t. As for proper channels; most of the time they are contradictory. So what are you left with? You’ve offered nothing to contradict my “hearsay” other than trying to be clever.

Not at all, but if someone were to say, 'proven fact' and then were to subsequently fail to say where, they will cease to be a credible source. It is a form of crying wolf. I only wish to verify what other people say, I am not one to absorb tittle-tattle as fact. Too many people do that and it leads to misinformation.

Bare in mind before you get all defensive, I never said you were wrong AND I have not said anything about where I prefer my information comes from. Unlike you it seems, I don't believe everything I read.

Had you posted, 'I understand that it is a postcode lottery with the Police', I would have agreed, but when you said, 'it is a proven fact', I was interested in where you got this information from, because it isn't one that I have come by.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 14 2009, 06:19 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Not at all, but if someone were to say, 'proven fact' and then were to subsequently fail to say where, they will cease to be a credible source. It is a form of crying wolf. I only wish to verify what other people say, I am not one to absorb tittle-tattle as fact. Too many people do that and it leads to misinformation.

Actually I didn’t fail to say where; try reading back. As for incredible source; I also – and you can say I am wrong for doing this – write under the assumption that most members on here are better educated and a bit better read than you. What I quoted was from reliable sources.

Bare in mind before you get all defensive, I never said you were wrong AND I have not said anything about where I prefer my information comes from. Unlike you it seems, I don't believe everything I read.

As for “defensive”; if I can recall another statement of yours on here; your main objective is to “wind people up” and not engage in intelligent debate. I am used to dealing with people who come on message boards because they have one common goal, which differs from yours.

Had you posted, 'I understand that it is a postcode lottery with the Police', I would have agreed, but when you said, 'it is a proven fact', I was interested in where you got this information from, because it isn't one that I have come by.

There has been quite a few reports than concur with the postcode lottery comments I made.

As for “it isn’t one that I have come by” sounds like your are the moral police on here and if you haven’t heard about it then it doesn’t exist or there is a fault. However, you’ve got the wrong job, going by some of your crass statements. I would respect your comments if you were a bit better read and knowledgeable; which you don't seem to be going by some of your comments. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 14 2009, 07:30 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 14 2009, 07:19 PM) *
Actually I didn’t fail to say where; try reading back. As for incredible source; I also – and you can say I am wrong for doing this – write under the assumption that most members on here are better educated and a bit better read that you. What I quoted was from reliable sources.

It took three posts for you hint at where you come by the information. Mind you, I'm beginning to think that you make things up to suit your argument. All you did is give examples of where you source information, nothing specific. That isn't the same thing as telling where you come by something. You are still yet to do so. I also note you immediately started to hurl abuse at me again. rolleyes.gif

As for “defensive”; if I can recall another statement of yours on here; your main objective is to “wind people up” and not engage in intelligent debate. I am used to dealing with people who come on message boards because they have one common goal, which differs from yours.

Show me where I said my main objective is to wind people. Show me where I said my main objective is NOT to have intelligent debate, that's more fantasy form the world of GMR. I do find winding you up easy, but it is not the case my only objective is to wind people up. My first is to debate and question when I read something that interests me. I see also that you are now attempting to deflect the argument. I question a very powerful point you make - quite reasonable I'd say - and you come out with this rubbish. Why do you have to go back to this 'victim' attitude of yours when your posts come under scrutiny? huh.gif

There has been quite a few reports than concur with the postcode lottery comments I made.

After a brief bit of barely research, it seems people, especially rape victims, get varying standards of Policing according to where they live, in other words according to the police force they fall under. I don't think that was the point being made by JeffG. I'll apologise in advance if I'm mistaken, but I think the point he was trying to make is that Police in the Thames Valley will act more favourably to a certain type of people, a more influential type of person and that can be determined by their postcode. If I'm right then there's a difference. wink.gif

As for “it isn’t one that I have come by” sounds like your are the moral police on here and if you haven’t heard about it then it doesn’t exist or there is a fault. However, you’ve got the wrong job, going by some of your crass statements. I would respect your comments if you were a bit better read and knowledgeable; which you don't seem to be going by some of your comments. wink.gif

Here comes the abuse again. You cannot help yourself can you. rolleyes.gif

The point about me questioning you and others like this, is that I cannot stand it when people make sweeping statements as apparently misleading as yours - like stating facts - yet seemingly can't back them up. This isn't to say that you are wrong in your opinion, but it is just for my own benefit, if someone says something I am not aware of, I like to learn more. huh.gif

I resent that when I ask for clarity, you resort to abuse. In this instance, my understanding is that JeffG suggested that Police will treat people unfairly according to where they live and how influential they are. When you said you knew for fact I think this is quite an damning thing to say, so I think I am entitled to ask as I did. What do you say? cool.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:53 AM