IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wondering whether to vote in the police elections? Listen to Ian Blair, Police & Crime Commissioners
Ruwan Uduwerage-...
post Oct 22 2012, 10:27 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 303

Daniel Hannan a writer and journalist, and Conservative MEP for South East England since 1999 today in the Telegraph <http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danielhannan/100185892/wondering-whether-to-vote-in-the-police-elections-listen-to-ian-blair/> accuses Lord Ian Blair, a former Metropolitan Police Commissioner and champion of police reform as being undemocratic for raising concerns about establishment of Police & Crme Commissioners.

Hannan claims that like "many senior coppers, he [Blair] resents the notion of constabularies being overseen by elected representatives", a statement that he seems unable to corroborate.

The PCC elections has nothing to do with increasing democracy, if this were a case, police authorities would have been reformed to be 'fit for purpose' and not replaced with a politically influenced individual, who actually is not required to possess any knowledge, understanding, skills, or ability (academic or professional) in order to take on this important role.

The reality is that the British policing model, as based on Sir Robert Peel's 'Nine Principles' of Policing have at there core the requirement for a civil police service to both work with, and alongside the civil populace. The uniformed officer is merely a citizen who has been granted further powers in order to more easily undertake their role.

Now I am not saying for one instance that the current, or event past police services have fulfilled this role as Peel had envisaged, but replacing the police authorities with a politically influenced and supported individual does not on the face of it appear to be increasing the democracy, and communities influence on policing.

Should people veto the elections? Well this is one matter for individual concience, for the reality is that the PCC's elections are going to take place on 15th November, and someone is going to be elected.

Frankly, with few exceptions the list of candidates for PCC's around the country would be laughable, if this job was not so important. I have seen and heard of few manifesto's that are not full of erroneous and outdated criminological theories, primarily based on the edicts of the "hang them high" brigade.

There is very little acknowledgement that we live in a globalised society, where the actors engaged in deviance may be influenced by the actions thousands of miles away on the other side of the planet, or even in the neighbouring force area. Policing has progressed beyond George Dixon, Z-Cars, and even The Bill is totally unrepresentative of what happens throughout the country 24/7, but many candidates seem to believe these fables.

As for the Thames Valley area, I would suggest that people look deep into the candidates manifesto, to assess their suitability. One very notable candidate from the Right actually has stated that TVP are doing a good job, so he does not intend changing anything, then I wonder what this candidate intends to do for the inflated salary?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Oct 22 2012, 11:53 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Without passing any other comment (yet!!) thanks for this considered outline. Which is far more than any of the politicians have provided thus far; even when trying to secure employment for their placemen.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Oct 22 2012, 04:13 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

I got my voting card to day but to be honest I don't really know who is standing for our area. Isn't it going to be just like voting in an election? They will all be politically linked to a party. I haven't seen anything in the NWN, unless I've missed it. I did see, however, that they will getting any from £40,000 to £100,000 per year. For that sort of money their loyalty will be to the government and the money itself. I can't see any difference to the way we are policed or crime going down anymore. Just more paperwork and bureaucracy.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Oct 22 2012, 05:23 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

The Conservative candidate for our area is Anthony Stansfield who lives Kintbury way and serves on WBC.
If you read his CV, he seems to have the experience for the job. It's a pity that once again Westminster politics have a hand in supporting candidates,

http://www.windsorconservatives.com/news/a...ioner-candidate

By the way, what's the annual salary for this position.

[edit]
Ah, I've just found it, around £100,000 per annum. Nice work if you can get it. No doubt a plush office and admin/secreterial services thrown in will make this an expensive (and sought after) appointment.

[edit 2]

Here's the Thames Valley hopefuls.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-19503420

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Oct 22 2012, 08:32 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Strikes me that they all want to do what we pay the Chief Constable for? Presumably he'll take a pay cut because part of his job will go. Then the lead contender Anthony Stansfield is already a member of the Authority. I thought this new role was to replace these nominated representatives because they have failed. Some election address - vote for failure!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 22 2012, 08:50 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

Under Cllr Stansfield tenure, crime has dropped by quite a bit; however, he did seem to make a mess of the CCTV installation and his public announcements were questionable over the affair.

Anthony Stansfield (Conservative)
Barry Cooper (UKIP)
Geoff Howard (Independent)
John Howson (Liberal Democrat)
Patience Awe (Independent)
Tim Starkey (Labour)

http://www.policeelections.com/candidates/thames-valley/

+Quote Post
Ruwan Uduwerage-...
post Oct 22 2012, 09:24 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 303

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Oct 22 2012, 09:50 PM) *
Under Cllr Stansfield tenure, crime has dropped by quite a bit; however, he did seem to make a mess of the CCTV installation and his public announcements were questionable over the affair

I am not sure that Cllr Stansfeld, or any politician can really claim credit for a national trend in reductions in recorded crime. Remember the crime statistics are based on what is recorded, and not what actually occurs. Police services for decades have been trying (I would like to say 'trying their best') to encourage people to report crime, but sadly vast amounts go unreported as the British Crime Survey tends to suggest.

As for CCTV, there is little evidence to actually support the numbers of camera's that we have here in the UK. Does it reduce crime, or merely move it around the corner and out of sight? There is though a feel good factor that the general law abiding community seem to gain from its (very expensive) introduction and use.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 22 2012, 10:26 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera @ Oct 22 2012, 10:24 PM) *
I am not sure that Cllr Stansfeld, or any politician can really claim credit for a national trend in reductions in recorded crime. Remember the crime statistics are based on what is recorded, and not what actually occurs. Police services for decades have been trying (I would like to say 'trying their best') to encourage people to report crime, but sadly vast amounts go unreported as the British Crime Survey tends to suggest.

As for CCTV, there is little evidence to actually support the numbers of camera's that we have here in the UK. Does it reduce crime, or merely move it around the corner and out of sight? There is though a feel good factor that the general law abiding community seem to gain from its (very expensive) introduction and use.

In this particular case some of use feel we haven't been told the full story, and some things were said that were possibly inaccurate. If CCTV is not as good as you suggest, perhaps we should know about it, rather than spending so much money on it.

The BCS seems to suggest people's perception of crime is going down. There could be a number of reason for that, but what I would say is, as far as I am concerned, people have always been reluctant to call the police.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 01:02 PM