Reply to this topicStart new topic
> God Squad...
TallDarkAndHands...
post Oct 25 2011, 09:23 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 60

Being agnostic I do get a little peeved with being bothered by god squad door knockers.
Was watching Corrie last night and enjoying a nice glass of pinot and I get 2 foreign gentlemen bothering me. Still after telling a little porkie and explaining that I was a scientist and that Richard Dawkins was a hero of mine they soon left.....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Oct 25 2011, 01:05 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

Have you considered a move to wash common?

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Oct 25 2011, 01:10 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Oct 25 2011, 02:05 PM) *
Have you considered a move to wash common?

No door knockers? Does it apply to god squad as well as door to door salesman or are the god squad actually door to door salesman in any case???

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Oct 25 2011, 02:06 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Oct 25 2011, 02:10 PM) *
No door knockers? Does it apply to god squad as well as door to door salesman or are the god squad actually door to door salesman in any case???

By strict interpretation, yes it does - it's still cold calling. So is charity collecting, political canvassing, carol singers, trick or treat and people doing surveys. Someone told me that it only covered 'commercial' activity - but then many churches, charities and such like are governed by 'commercial' holding companies. Perhaps Wash Common could be renamed Coventry?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
stewiegriffin
post Oct 25 2011, 04:40 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,387

How do you know they were the God squad? You make no mention of which God they represent. And how do you know they were foreign? And how is your hearing? Have you had a hearing test recently? Why haven't you provided a map detailing their precise movements? And why hasn't xjay started trolling this thread yet?

Sorry, just trying to keep up the high standards expected here.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 25 2011, 04:42 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (stewiegriffin @ Oct 25 2011, 05:40 PM) *
How do you know they were the God squad? You make no mention of which God they represent. And how do you know they were foreign? And how is your hearing? Have you had a hearing test recently? Why haven't you provided a map detailing their precise movements? And why hasn't xjay started trolling this thread yet?

Sorry, just trying to keep up the high standards expected here.

And yours are insurmountable. wink.gif

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Oct 25 2011, 04:45 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

With the God Botherers it sometimes helps to answer the door a bit boggle-eyed and say you're a follower of David Icke's teachings..... (Genuflect in a random way after saying 'His' name to further confuse them....)

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Oct 25 2011, 07:21 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Oct 25 2011, 10:23 AM) *
Being agnostic I do get a little peeved with being bothered by god squad door knockers.
Was watching Corrie last night and enjoying a nice glass of pinot and I get 2 foreign gentlemen bothering me. Still after telling a little porkie and explaining that I was a scientist and that Richard Dawkins was a hero of mine they soon left.....

You seem confused. As an agnostic, Richard Dawkins' certainty of the non-existence of a deity would be as objectionable to you as a god-botherer's zeal.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Oct 26 2011, 07:27 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Oct 25 2011, 08:21 PM) *
You seem confused. As an agnostic, Richard Dawkins' certainty of the non-existence of a deity would be as objectionable to you as a god-botherer's zeal.

Not confuesd. Just wanted rid so I lied. Thank you.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Oct 26 2011, 08:39 AM
Post #10

Guests

I respect peoples religious beliefs but what is it with religious people (mainly Christians) who try and force their opinion and beliefs upon someone else...it's completely daft, selfish, and surely contradicts Jesus' prophecies about loving thy neighbour and all that rubbish.

And what's with this weird thing they do?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RYq-KiKjrM

Further to that, the pope saying Condoms wouldn't help Africa's aids problem was a joke, much like how Jesus is always somehow a very tall thin man, with a beard.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Oct 26 2011, 09:00 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

Remember that old joke..........................?

What's the difference between a Skoda and a Jehovah's Witness.........................................?

You can shut the door on a Jehovah's Witness!

(Don't suppose it applies now does it as I believe they are now quite good cars>?) sad.gif

The point being TDH - just shut the door!! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Oct 26 2011, 12:26 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Oct 26 2011, 09:39 AM) *
I respect peoples religious beliefs but what is it with religious people (mainly Christians) who try and force their opinion and beliefs upon someone else...it's completely daft, selfish, and surely contradicts Jesus' prophecies about loving thy neighbour and all that rubbish.

And what's with this weird thing they do?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RYq-KiKjrM

Further to that, the pope saying Condoms wouldn't help Africa's aids problem was a joke, much like how Jesus is always somehow a very tall thin man, with a beard.

Not that you do, but why would you want to respect someone's religious belief's any more than, say, their cultural, moral, political, or scientific beliefs? And then again, if it isn't doing you any harm, why would you want to disrespect someone else's beliefs? I don't see how any particular belief should be beyound question, criticism, or ridicule, nor why it should necessarily be wrong just because I don't share it.

Do Christians try and force their opinions and beliefs on others? Politicians never stop badgering us to believe what they profess, but I don't actually come accross a Christian too often who wants to preach the gospel. You neither it would seem: The prophesy about lions and lambs was Isiah, and the Golden Rule about treating others how you'd be treated youself is common to pretty much all religeous and moral teaching (apart from maybe the Old Religion, and the Norse).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Oct 26 2011, 12:32 PM
Post #13

Guests

So take the conservative party election manifesto; basically a load of things which sound enticing, likely to have happened, and interesting stories but ultimately it was all lies?

I suppose one could liken politics to religion.

I personally to to disrespect everyone's moral beliefs because they're all ****

(that part was made up)

Without wanting to get into a whole religious debate, and all that - treating others how you want to be treated isn't really religion, it's common sense and basic human nice-ness. Neither are many "religious preachings"...it's just common sense. Although if you think about it in a factual type of way, the religion I would most likely follow (if I had a hard knock on the head, for example) would be Buddhism as that's what my personal ethos mirrors most.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Oct 26 2011, 01:13 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Oct 25 2011, 10:23 AM) *

As an agnostic you should welcome them - they are only trying to help you come off the fence. Mind you its not often we get an athiest knocking on the door trying to persuade us to join them in their disbelief.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Oct 26 2011, 01:18 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Oct 26 2011, 02:13 PM) *
As an agnostic you should welcome them - they are only trying to help you come off the fence. Mind you its not often we get an athiest knocking on the door trying to persuade us to join them in their disbelief.

I have no objection to people believing in anything they want. I do object to people believing they have a right to 'convert'. People should be allowed to have free will. And in a lot of cases where individuals are open to 'persuasion' then free will can be compromised (in my opinion).

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Oct 26 2011, 03:13 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Oct 26 2011, 01:32 PM) *
So take the conservative party election manifesto; basically a load of things which sound enticing, likely to have happened, and interesting stories but ultimately it was all lies?

And you read their election manifesto did you?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Oct 26 2011, 03:25 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Oct 26 2011, 02:18 PM) *
I have no objection to people believing in anything they want. I do object to people believing they have a right to 'convert'. People should be allowed to have free will. And in a lot of cases where individuals are open to 'persuasion' then free will can be compromised (in my opinion).

It's a problem isn't it, being open to persuasion. But there is an answer...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Oct 26 2011, 08:18 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

It's not about converting people, it's about finding like minded people.

I remember canvassing for the tories near the racecourse once and the Lib Dems were not far behind us. We soon discovered that Jehovas Witnesses were not too far ahead either. **** of a morning for the residents!

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Oct 26 2011, 10:30 PM
Post #19

Guests

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Oct 26 2011, 04:13 PM) *

Are you like a pet poodle for Mr Cameron? Any time anyone says anything against the Conservative party you do get quite the hump. Did they ruin your allotment as well?

To answer your question, not in entirety, but I had to read it as, I was rudely interrupted by a door-to-door salesman (I say salesman, he was a tory "supporter") doing the whole "PLEASE VOTE TORY I BEG YOU" routine and thrust several leaflets into my pants. (I was half naked at the time)

After getting over the large bulge in my crotch (it was a pen, I wasn't very happy to see him), he asked me who I was likely to vote for and I said Lib Dems (at the time) and rather than having a reasoned discussion about what I liked about their manifesto and proposed policies, he said, basically, everyone else was poo, labour ruined the country, the Liberals are morons and that David Cameron was some sort of hero. I said I didn't think David understood the normal sort of working class people that most of us are, and would be a poor leader making judgements which contradicted public opinion, and oh - guess what, that's what's happening! Needless to say I would have given this chap an hour of my time to listen or whatever but if some supporters/members of parties are so...affirmative...in their beliefs then there's no point having a discussion.

In the end I didn't vote because I couldn't be bothered.

Just watching Ms. Spankhurts... huh.gif Being watched in bed by aliens, well.......gotta get material somewhere. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 26 2011, 10:49 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Oct 26 2011, 01:32 PM) *

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Oct 26 2011, 04:13 PM) *

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Oct 26 2011, 11:30 PM) *
Are you like a pet poodle for Mr Cameron? Any time anyone says anything against the Conservative party you do get quite the hump. Did they ruin your allotment as well?

To answer your question, not in entirety, but I had to read it as, I was rudely interrupted by a door-to-door salesman (I say salesman, he was a tory "supporter") doing the whole "PLEASE VOTE TORY I BEG YOU" routine and thrust several leaflets into my pants. (I was half naked at the time)

After getting over the large bulge in my crotch (it was a pen, I wasn't very happy to see him), he asked me who I was likely to vote for and I said Lib Dems (at the time) and rather than having a reasoned discussion about what I liked about their manifesto and proposed policies, he said, basically, everyone else was poo, labour ruined the country, the Liberals are morons and that David Cameron was some sort of hero. I said I didn't think David understood the normal sort of working class people that most of us are, and would be a poor leader making judgements which contradicted public opinion, and oh - guess what, that's what's happening! Needless to say I would have given this chap an hour of my time to listen or whatever but if some supporters/members of parties are so...affirmative...in their beliefs then there's no point having a discussion.

In the end I didn't vote because I couldn't be bothered.

I'll take that as a no then.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 03:52 PM