Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Victor Meldrew
Simon Kirby
post Feb 5 2015, 09:48 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,011

A short letter in this week's Newbury Weekly by Adrian Edwards, writing in his capacity as Falkland ward councillor, describing Stan Green's letter as "nonsense" and referring to him as Victor Meldrew.

That seems unnecessarily disrespectful, and I have to say it strikes me a pretty crappy standards from the Newbury Weekly News to publish the petulant letter. I would suggest that Cllr Edwards needs to remember that Stan Green is a Newbury resident and his yah-boo politicking is inappropriate. Whatever Mr. Green's views, while Cllr Edwards is expressing himself in his capacity as a local councillor he should show a little more respect, else how can he expect any respect to be shown to him or his office? Challenge opinions by all means, but address the opinion, don't ridicule the man, and put up a better argument than "nonsense".

I would be pleased to see Cllr Edwards apologise, and I think the Newbury Weekly might apologise too.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lolly
post Feb 5 2015, 11:32 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,763

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Feb 5 2015, 09:48 PM) *
A short letter in this week's Newbury Weekly by Adrian Edwards, writing in his capacity as Falkland ward councillor, describing Stan Green's letter as "nonsense" and referring to him as Victor Meldrew.

That seems unnecessarily disrespectful, and I have to say it strikes me a pretty crappy standards from the Newbury Weekly News to publish the petulant letter. I would suggest that Cllr Edwards needs to remember that Stan Green is a Newbury resident and his yah-boo politicking is inappropriate. Whatever Mr. Green's views, while Cllr Edwards is expressing himself in his capacity as a local councillor he should show a little more respect, else how can he expect any respect to be shown to him or his office? Challenge opinions by all means, but address the opinion, don't ridicule the man, and put up a better argument than "nonsense".

I would be pleased to see Cllr Edwards apologise, and I think the Newbury Weekly might apologise too.

Well said Simon. I also noticed the letter, and thought much the same thing about the author. I'm not so sure I agree with your comments about the NWN publishing it though - I think it gives a good example of the calibre of some of our local politicos. Unfortunately I have thrown out last week's copy of the NWN so have no idea what Stan Green said. Presumably critical of the.local establishment? Another vexatious candidate?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 6 2015, 12:28 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

Apparently he was responding to criticism of a previous letter of his. He went on to illustrate his point that Newbury was a 'scary town'.

He claimed Newbury was only any good if you are well-off and can afford the 'stratospheric' prices of Parkway Shopping and not to mention 'extortionate' local parking charges. He laid into the council for 'commandeering' all the available 'convenient' parking spaces for profit. Then he went on about WBC anti-cyclist stance and its pursuit of initiatives that promote pollution and congestion. Next up was the night time economy with its street pastors and how it was a no-go area for the elderly, despite its application for a Purple Flag. He also asked why, if Newbury was so good, did business feel it necessary to form a BID.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Feb 6 2015, 01:06 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 6 2015, 12:28 AM) *
Apparently we was responding to criticism of a previous letter of his. He went on to illustrate his point that Newbury was a 'scary town'.

He claimed Newbury was only any good if you are well-off and can afford the 'stratospheric' prices of Parkway Shopping and not to mention 'extortionate' local parking charges. He laid into the council for 'commandeering' all the available 'convenient' parking spaces for profit. Then he went on about WBC anti-cyclist stance and its pursuit of initiatives that promote pollution and congestion. Next up was the night time economy with its street pastors and how it was a no-go area for the elderly, despite its application for a Purple Flag. He also asked why if Newbury was so good, did business feel it necessary to form a BID.

Not far off is he? Not sure about anti cycling but the rest is fairly accurate. The trouble is that most of these councillors have a rather self satisfied, bucolic view of both the town and their office.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Feb 6 2015, 08:44 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Feb 5 2015, 10:48 PM) *

Agree Simon.
Never happens on polite forums does it!? wink.gif
Hang on, does Cllr. Edwards contribute on here? wink.gif

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Feb 6 2015, 08:45 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 6 2015, 12:28 AM) *
He claimed Newbury was only any good if you are well-off and can afford the 'stratospheric' prices of Parkway Shopping.......

That bit's cobblers though isn't it.... Aldi or Lidl on your doorstep. Poundland, Peacocks and the 99p Store. Charity shops galore. More than enough shopping choice for the poor and down-trodden of Newbury. .....and all conveniently located AWAY from Parkway and mostly in the tatty Kennet Centre so that us well off types don't have to mix with the untermensch.... eugh...

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Feb 6 2015, 09:07 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

If I was Stan, I'd be quite pleased...he actually got a real reaction! Quite amazing really, when we see the antics of NTC week after week after week yet the opposition leader remains stoic and silent. Is the respondent the same person? No matter, at least it confirms what most of us round here think; that there really is no difference between the LibDems and the Tories. We also now know that both sides consider us, the great unwashed, to be vexatious comedians.

Actually, it would have made a great episode, Victor Meldrew meets Major Gowen at Fawlty Towers, trouble is we now know it wouldn't have been remotely funny.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Lolly
post Feb 6 2015, 09:30 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,763

Whether or not Cllr Edwards apologises, I hope the NWN gives Stan Green the further right of reply should he choose to exercise it.

Wikipedia description of 'Victor Meldrew', main character in the TV series 'one foot in the grave' here:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Meldrew

"The series was so successful that in the UK the term a Victor Meldrew has become a euphemism for a bitter and complaining elderly man. However, both Renwick and Wilson himself have disagreed that Victor is an example of this stereotype; Wilson himself once said in an interview that he was a "normal man in a world full of idiots"[citation needed], and he is shown to be more of a tragicomedy character, not bitter and grumpy by nature, but driven to it after becoming embroiled in complex misunderstandings, the victim of bureaucratic vanity and, at times, sheer misfortune."

I think there may be a bit of Victor Meldrew in many of us! biggrin.gif angry.gif

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Feb 6 2015, 10:11 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Lolly @ Feb 6 2015, 09:30 AM) *
Whether or not Cllr Edwards apologises, I hope the NWN gives Stan Green the further right of reply should he choose to exercise it.

Wikipedia description of 'Victor Meldrew', main character in the TV series 'one foot in the grave' here:

"The series was so successful that in the UK the term a Victor Meldrew has become a euphemism for a bitter and complaining elderly man. However, both Renwick and Wilson himself have disagreed that Victor is an example of this stereotype; Wilson himself once said in an interview that he was a "normal man in a world full of idiots"[citation needed], and he is shown to be more of a tragicomedy character, not bitter and grumpy by nature, but driven to it after becoming embroiled in complex misunderstandings, the victim of bureaucratic vanity and, at times, sheer misfortune."

I think there may be a bit of Victor Meldrew in many of us! biggrin.gif angry.gif

Hear, hear!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Feb 6 2015, 10:17 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (On the edge @ Feb 6 2015, 11:11 AM) *
Hear, hear!

Yes, well put Lolly.
Quite a lot of Victor in me I think! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Feb 6 2015, 10:30 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Brilliant. One foot in the mouth I think Cllr Edwards. smile.gif

Je suis Victor!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 6 2015, 01:24 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Feb 6 2015, 08:45 AM) *
That bit's cobblers though isn't it.... Aldi or Lidl on your doorstep. Poundland, Peacocks and the 99p Store. Charity shops galore. More than enough shopping choice for the poor and down-trodden of Newbury. .....and all conveniently located AWAY from Parkway and mostly in the tatty Kennet Centre so that us well off types don't have to mix with the untermensch.... eugh...

That's OK, because he went on to say that parking has priced those types out of the town anyway! wink.gif

+Quote Post
The Hatter
post Feb 6 2015, 08:09 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,046

I'm even less likely to vote at the next election, this just shows nothing is going to change.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Feb 13 2015, 06:50 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

I see Stan has upped the gameplan in this week's NWN. Like Simon, he has gone public with a suitable hobby horse complete with photograph.
I must say that he looks the part, urban warrior complete with hivis jacket, shades and a suitable weapon, a tape measure. WBC watch out, not a man to be trifled with. Trouble is he might be on his way to vexatious status.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Feb 13 2015, 08:11 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Whether or not Cllr Edwards apologises, I hope the NWN gives Stan Green the further right of reply...

Yes, fair play NWN, that was a decent thing to do to give Stan Green an unstinting right of reply.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 13 2015, 08:35 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

And despite West Berks Council painting undersized parking bays, they will not be issuing the West Berkshire Boot Boys with any guidance on the matter. All new spaces will conform to government advice of course! Muppets rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Feb 13 2015, 09:54 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

It's a fact of life that whenever they, WBC, get it wrong, they just cannot hold their hands up and say sorry. Not just this one time but every time. Parkway bridge, incorrect signs and so on. Everybody makes mistakes but this is a council that employs trained and skilled and of course well remunerated staff, It shouldn't happen. I believe the councillors should hold the officers to account.
By leaving the issue of a penalty notice to the discretion of a CEO means that there is an inconsistency in what should be clearly defined guidelines. Makes one wonder what other discretionary powers WBC are allowing. Bay sizes seems to be one of them although it wasn't done to boost income from fines. We all believe that of course. Well done Stan Green for making the point.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Feb 14 2015, 12:25 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Feb 13 2015, 06:50 PM) *
I must say that he looks the part, urban warrior complete with hivis jacket, shades and a suitable weapon, a tape measure. WBC watch out, not a man to be trifled with.

So that's what an urban warrior looks like?? A post-apocalypse tramp more like... and I think that manky jacket he's wearing lost any hi-vis qualities around 1980.

I must say though, that has got to be one of the most boring of waste times I've seen... Going round the council car parks measuring bays. Armed with a tape measure and f*** all knowledge. Wouldn't be surprised if he measured up some spaces meant for motorbikes and complained they were too small for a car....

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Feb 14 2015, 08:09 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Feb 14 2015, 12:25 AM) *
So that's what an urban warrior looks like?? A post-apocalypse tramp more like... and I think that manky jacket he's wearing lost any hi-vis qualities around 1980.

I must say though, that has got to be one of the most boring of waste times I've seen... Going round the council car parks measuring bays. Armed with a tape measure and f*** all knowledge. Wouldn't be surprised if he measured up some spaces meant for motorbikes and complained they were too small for a car....

That"s an uncharacteristically spiteful post spartacus. I have little time for anything Stan Green might have to say as I found his previous anti-dog comments about as objectionable as can be, but mocking someone for their appearance is pretty mean-spirited, and like it or not his criticism was objective and evidence-based. If he's mistaken then it should be a simple matter to show how, but it seems from the Council's response that he was right. It's always a good put-down for a council to cast a complainant as an obsessive for taking the bother to concern themselves in the council's business, but what Stan Green has done here is what every ratepayer and voter should be doing - he's exercised his democratic right to question his local government.

--------------------

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Feb 14 2015, 10:33 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

It's a classic diversion tactic! Did anyone else read the Council's incredible reply. In effect claiming institutionalised idleness. They'd 'overlooked' the guidelines amongst other things And this has been the situation for a long time. Never mind though, they probably won't enforce penalties. How nice! Wasn't this the self same outfit that created the Parkway bridge debacle? These people people are (rightly) paid well to be the experts. Along with everything else, is there any management at WBC? Of course, I'm sure Stan Green and us cynics on the side have no knowledge, but clearly we have a lot more than 'the experts' at WBC.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:54 AM