IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Parkway development, Anyone fancy a surveyors job ?
lordtup
post Sep 23 2009, 10:44 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 164

A snippet of information has been drawn to my attention regarding the "discovery" of an underground water course which runs through the new development in Parkway. This is causing unforeseen headaches including having to increase the depth of the footings and to continuously pump the excess water into the canal .

This may be a bit of a propaganda issue , but I would be interested to know if anyone else has heard a similar story .

sad.gif

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Sep 23 2009, 12:47 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

As long as they don't discover any microscopic snails - that would really put the lid on the project.

(Those with short memories, click here.)

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Sep 23 2009, 01:47 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (lordtup @ Sep 23 2009, 11:44 AM) *
A snippet of information has been drawn to my attention regarding the "discovery" of an underground water course which runs through the new development in Parkway. This is causing unforeseen headaches including having to increase the depth of the footings and to continuously pump the excess water into the canal .

This may be a bit of a propaganda issue , but I would be interested to know if anyone else has heard a similar story .

sad.gif

I am not sure of the detail and timing of your information however I believe that it was known that there was a watercourse under North "BROOK" street.
The clue is in the name.
If they didn't know about it then they should be sued.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
LeeG
post Sep 23 2009, 02:24 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 195

I believe there to be a water course under Northbrook Street, but water course or not, the last thing I want to see is a new five storey anything in Newbury! I was born here and have lived here all my life. I am very protective of our lovely old town and don't want to see it turned into another Bracknell or Basingstoke.
We have at least 3 hotels in the town, as well as the two golf complexes and the two Hiltons on the outskirts. Is there really a demand for another hotel? And where are all these guests going to park?
If Newbury is to be tidied up, lets do it in the traditional market town style and keep it special.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Sep 23 2009, 02:51 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (LeeG @ Sep 23 2009, 03:24 PM) *
I believe there to be a water course under Northbrook Street, but water course or not, the last thing I want to see is a new five storey anything in Newbury! I was born here and have lived here all my life. I am very protective of our lovely old town and don't want to see it turned into another Bracknell or Basingstoke.
We have at least 3 hotels in the town, as well as the two golf complexes and the two Hiltons on the outskirts. Is there really a demand for another hotel? And where are all these guests going to park?
If Newbury is to be tidied up, lets do it in the traditional market town style and keep it special.

Sadly Lee I think you might be too late judging by what I saw today.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
ropey
post Sep 23 2009, 03:00 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 353

I am not in the least bit surprised that this ill feted development is now 6 months behind schedule. I think it may well even yet be capped off. Those of us who understand economics will know very well that Parkway is not sustainable, inadequate footfall, a poor and unwelcoming parking stategy and a refusal to see reason over bollards whch are quite frankly dangerous and would not pass a health and safety asessment if they were privately owned, this council is already resposnsible for policies that are closing shop after shop and bar after bar and restaurant after restaurant things like evening parking charges, huge loss of surface parking in Parkway. these policies are all anti business.

Of course, a six month delay will mean a further six month loss of Parkway surface parking which will mean two more poor Christmas trading periods for Newbury of that I am certain. I am surprised that the independant retailers are not marching to the doors of WBC with letters to local cllrs, who , it seems have not the least bit of commercial nouse and even less knowledge of Newbury.

And in the midst of all of this what are Newbury Town Council saying? they can not and should not be passing this back as not their responsibilty, they should be fighting and fighting hard to restore an environment that peolple want to come to. SO local councillors get off your backside and start to get politcal and save this town from the hands of developers and senior council officers who do not live here or spend their vast salaries here.

+Quote Post
user23
post Sep 23 2009, 05:36 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (ropey @ Sep 23 2009, 04:00 PM) *
I am not in the least bit surprised that this ill feted development is now 6 months behind schedule. I think it may well even yet be capped off. Those of us who understand economics will know very well that Parkway is not sustainable, inadequate footfall, a poor and unwelcoming parking stategy and a refusal to see reason over bollards whch are quite frankly dangerous and would not pass a health and safety asessment if they were privately owned, this council is already resposnsible for policies that are closing shop after shop and bar after bar and restaurant after restaurant things like evening parking charges, huge loss of surface parking in Parkway. these policies are all anti business.
This seems to be little more than a random collection of the gripes thrown together. You've even managed to include the bollards which are nowhere near Parkway in terms of accessing the new 700+ space car park.

Perhaps you could tell this forum of the bar after bar and restaurant after restaurant that are closing because of what you state, because I haven't seen any, and in fact there'll be a whole load more opening before Christmas. As far as shop after shop goes, there are hardly any empty units compared to most other towns of Newbury's size and they seem to be snapped up pretty quickly when a trader moves out, I believe Trespass is the latest addition to Newbury, opening shortly. Those of us who understand economics will know very well that traders like these would not be moving into the town if things were as bad as you would have us believe.

Scaremongering like this does nothing but harm Newbury's reputation.

+Quote Post
ropey
post Sep 24 2009, 08:32 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (user23 @ Sep 23 2009, 06:36 PM) *
This seems to be little more than a random collection of the gripes thrown together. You've even managed to include the bollards which are nowhere near Parkway in terms of accessing the new 700+ space car park.

Perhaps you could tell this forum of the bar after bar and restaurant after restaurant that are closing because of what you state, because I haven't seen any, and in fact there'll be a whole load more opening before Christmas. As far as shop after shop goes, there are hardly any empty units compared to most other towns of Newbury's size and they seem to be snapped up pretty quickly when a trader moves out, I believe Trespass is the latest addition to Newbury, opening shortly. Those of us who understand economics will know very well that traders like these would not be moving into the town if things were as bad as you would have us believe.

User 33 is clearly not in retail business in this town and very obviously does not understand the economics of retail, national chains have all too frequently made mistakes when opening in Newbury, this town has a veneer of wealth that is too thin, the demographics are not right and I reiterate that current draconian parking policies continue to do more harm than just about anything the council can do. If the so called vision truly cared about the town and its traders and shoppers today, they would be creating free parking in Newbury until Parkway is open. The loss of revenue would be more than made up by the goodwill that this would create and at least give the current retailers a fighting chance. This is not scaremongering user 33, this is being business like and knowing all too well exactly what the public, say, feel and want, which is the first rule of retail....know your customers, listen to them and act.

+Quote Post
ropey
post Sep 24 2009, 08:38 AM
Post #9

forgot to add does user 33 know the facts behind the so called 700 place car park that is being created, 150 are for the flats that are being built there, 150 for the shop workers, that leaves about 400 which is about the same as the old open parkway surface car park.

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Sep 24 2009, 08:50 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 164

QUOTE (ropey @ Sep 24 2009, 09:32 AM) *
User 33 is clearly not in retail business in this town and very obviously does not understand the economics of retail, national chains have all too frequently made mistakes when opening in Newbury, this town has a veneer of wealth that is too thin, the demographics are not right and I reiterate that current draconian parking policies continue to do more harm than just about anything the council can do. If the so called vision truly cared about the town and its traders and shoppers today, they would be creating free parking in Newbury until Parkway is open. The loss of revenue would be more than made up by the goodwill that this would create and at least give the current retailers a fighting chance. This is not scaremongering user 33, this is being business like and knowing all too well exactly what the public, say, feel and want, which is the first rule of retail....know your customers, listen to them and act.

Refreshing to read a common sense posting .
Pity the council doesn't engage with such valid points as your good self has highlighted before embarking on it's blinkered approach to town development .

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Sep 24 2009, 09:02 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (lordtup @ Sep 24 2009, 09:50 AM) *
Refreshing to read a common sense posting .
Pity the council doesn't engage with such valid points as your good self has highlighted before embarking on it's blinkered approach to town development .

Sadly it would appear from the results of the recent "Place Survey" poll the the Council are not interested in the views of the people that elect them and prefer to maintain their own opinions regardless of what information is supplied to them.
Their heads are very deeply in the sand.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Sep 24 2009, 09:07 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (user23 @ Sep 23 2009, 06:36 PM) *

Walk down Batholomew Street. You will find more empty untis that ones let!!! tongue.gif tongue.gif

+Quote Post
user23
post Sep 24 2009, 12:35 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (ropey @ Sep 24 2009, 09:32 AM) *
You seem to have missed out the "bar after bar and restaurant after restaurant" that I asked you for names of, that have closed as a result of what you claim.

There is simply no evidence that what you say is true whereas the fact there will be at least four new restaurants and bars opening before Christmas supports what I know to be true.

We're in the middle worst recession for decades and national chains (who you've dismissed as knowing little about business, often making mistakes) are opening up new stores in our town. What you say simply does not ring true and it's quite apparent you do not seem to grasp the economics of retail and are looking for someone to blame for your shortcomings.

+Quote Post
ropey
post Sep 24 2009, 01:56 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (user23 @ Sep 24 2009, 01:35 PM) *
You seem to have missed out the "bar after bar and restaurant after restaurant" that I asked you for names of, that have closed as a result of what you claim.

There is simply no evidence that what you say is true whereas the fact there will be at least four new restaurants and bars opening before Christmas supports what I know to be true.

We're in the middle worst recession for decades and national chains (who you've dismissed as knowing little about business, often making mistakes) are opening up new stores in our town. What you say simply does not ring true and it's quite apparent you do not seem to grasp the economics of retail and are looking for someone to blame for your shortcomings.

You are right we are in the middle of a bad rececession but not as bad as the one that hit Newbury in 1990/1 which hit retail far harder then, but it was more of retail economy then, e commerce is stronger now. I am not looking for someone to blame I know who to blame, it is developer and architect lead people without any feel for retail helped by a council that does not understand the needs of its council tax payers.

Threshers wine shop in the broadway closed on Tuesday, , Next in Northbrook Street about a month ago, Rosebys, Woolworths ( though woolies more to do with over geared funding) Adams Childrens wear, Madagascan Gin Palace, these are very recent, The Pig and Paper, more will follow regretably, National chains are advised by surveyors or rather retained surveyors who are sent out to 'buy' business, frequently buying leases to gain what they think is market share, the demographics are rarely looked at closely, I will give the new Trespass shop a maximum of 8 months. I hope its more. The Works did not last more than two years and I am unable to recall who was there before. The Chocaloate Shop called Montezumas closed early this year to be replaced by Thorntons who are also struggling.

So faced with these conditions the council should act, it should commence a programme of welcoming the customer and the car by providing free parking, drop evening parking charges, improve facilities at the bus station, ie open the loos arrange late night buses for people to come into town, so they can enjoy a drink, welcome the likes of Snooty Fox who want to trade in the market place. Local councilors should start to wage war on this reccession and the develpment blighted town and get things moving rather and wait for Parkway to be finsihed which is a long way off.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Sep 24 2009, 02:14 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (ropey @ Sep 24 2009, 02:56 PM) *
welcome the likes of Snooty Fox who want to trade in the market place.

As a matter of interest, how would the Snooty Fox trade in the Market Place when it isn't located there. ie in the next street over?

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Andy
post Sep 24 2009, 02:17 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 26

You are right we are in the middle of a bad rececession but not as bad as the one that hit Newbury in 1990/1 which hit retail far harder then, but it was more of retail economy then, e commerce is stronger now. I am not looking for someone to blame I know who to blame, it is developer and architect lead people without any feel for retail helped by a council that does not understand the needs of its council tax payers.

Threshers wine shop in the broadway closed on Tuesday, , Next in Northbrook Street about a month ago, Rosebys, Woolworths ( though woolies more to do with over geared funding) Adams Childrens wear, Madagascan Gin Palace, these are very recent, The Pig and Paper, more will follow regretably, National chains are advised by surveyors or rather retained surveyors who are sent out to 'buy' business, frequently buying leases to gain what they think is market share, the demographics are rarely looked at closely, I will give the new Trespass shop a maximum of 8 months. I hope its more. The Works did not last more than two years and I am unable to recall who was there before. The Chocaloate Shop called Montezumas closed early this year to be replaced by Thorntons who are also struggling.

So faced with these conditions the council should act, it should commence a programme of welcoming the customer and the car by providing free parking, drop evening parking charges, improve facilities at the bus station, ie open the loos arrange late night buses for people to come into town, so they can enjoy a drink, welcome the likes of Snooty Fox who want to trade in the market place. Local councilors should start to wage war on this reccession and the develpment blighted town and get things moving rather and wait for Parkway to be finsihed which is a long way off.

And your proposals for paying for all of these freebies?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darren
post Sep 24 2009, 02:20 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Sep 24 2009, 03:14 PM) *
As a matter of interest, how would the Snooty Fox trade in the Market Place when it isn't located there. ie in the next street over?

Well seem to want to dominate Bartholomew St. Funny thing though, I thought it was a public footpath where they have put their 'smoking area'?

+Quote Post
Darren
post Sep 24 2009, 02:23 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (lordtup @ Sep 23 2009, 11:44 AM) *

sad.gif

Don't see why it was undiscovered, how did they think North Brook St got it's name?

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Sep 24 2009, 02:33 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

Threshers wine shop in the broadway closed on Tuesday, ...

You forgot the Clock Tower - perhaps because, like most people you haven't strayed up past the Northbrook St roadworks recently.

It is difficult to say why businesses fail - the recession, failure to keep up with customer requirements, changes in shopping habits, shopping environment, access etc etc. can all contribute. It is therefore impossible to state for certain that the current state of Newbury as a building site with expensive car parking it THE reason for a closure.

However, there is little doubt that footfall would be increased by making car parking free - to the extent that we would probably end up with a different problem as there would be too few car parking spaces available. We would also have plenty on here objecting to the rise in Council Tax required to compensate for the loss of the car parking revenue.

+Quote Post
Darren
post Sep 24 2009, 02:39 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Businesses fail even when there is a boom on. Causes include competition, owner getting bored, lease expires and landlord doesn't want to renew, another business owned goes bust, being declared bankrupt etc. etc.

Just because someone has closed and they blame the recession, doesn't mean that's the true reason.

Free parking might work, at least it will free the parking enforcement team to concentrate on the residential areas.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:57 PM