Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bulling in schools
GMR
post Sep 11 2009, 09:19 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 33

Do you think teachers are doing enough to stop bullying in schools? If kids that are caught bullying should they be immediately expelled and the police called in and the child or children prosecuted (maybe even the parents of that child)?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Roost
post Sep 11 2009, 09:57 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 31

Several points to this I think.
1) What are teachers and schools actually allowed to do? I believe that their 'powers' for discipline / exclusion / expulsion are severely limited to say the least.
2) Bullying has gone on for many a year. Without 24/7 supervision, it can never be eradicated and I for one would not want to live in such a society (although I know that there are those on here who may say that we're approaching it already...!)
3) Is it proportionate to criminalise a 10-16 year old over bullying? Would we require a sliding scale of repercussions (for stealing lunch money the punishment is 10 lashes, for a black eye it's 20 etc laugh.gif ).
4) Would it be fair to pass this on to a police force / criminal justice system that is barely for purpose as it is?

Bullying is a problem and schools do not have adequate powers to deal with it but I'm not sure that putting the onus onto the police would be the right way to move forward.

--------------------
Roost

Welcome to the jungle....

+Quote Post
Chesapeake
post Sep 12 2009, 10:35 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 205

I was aware of a particular incident at my daughters school that concerned me enough to go to the school and speak to them about it. They listened to my conceerns and said that they would look into it and keep an eye on the situation.

I spoke to them about a 'friend' of mine who speaks all over the world on several issues including bullying in schools and I e-mailed his contact details to the school (he is ex-police at a senior level). As far as I know nothing ever happened as far as engaging him to speak at that school. Very depressing as I believe that this is a far greater issue than any school is willing to admit happens on their premises.

"Ours is but to reason why!" sad.gif

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Sep 12 2009, 11:12 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

I think we should also help people cope with bullying. Bullying is a human trait and something that we need to learn deal with ourselves. This also includes trying to make bullying unacceptable by peers.

+Quote Post
graham
post Sep 14 2009, 07:42 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 80

I know a school in newbury that has a big problem with bullying a couple of friends have had problems trying to get there children to school and there seems to be no surport from the head of the school

+Quote Post
Rose8
post Sep 14 2009, 12:21 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 104

I was bullied at secondary school (it started because i had to wear the correct / 'sensible' shoes) when others wore fashionable pointy toe shoes !!! My mum believed i should wear the uniform correctly and who was i to argue, going into to secondary school, all a bit daunting, no elder siblings (only younger).

I ran away from school several times, mum and dad finally got called in, but i was too embarassed to say WHY i ran away !! All i said was that i didnt like school. Although i never reported it (why would i, it would have been ten times worse!!!), i do know that several times a teacher witnessed me being called a name or/and pushed along the corridor. At MOST all they ever did was call out the students name so they knew they had been seen !! The teachers KNOW, its just what CAN they do ?? Its a very real problem. It DOES effect you for the rest of your life, it really does. Your confidence is knocked so very badly, i dont feel you EVER get it back 100%!!

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Sep 14 2009, 12:30 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

I'm not too sure what 'Bulling' in schools is?
Is it some sort of contest to see who can come out with the most bull? wink.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 14 2009, 01:41 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Sep 14 2009, 01:30 PM) *
I'm not too sure what 'Bulling' in schools is?
Is it some sort of contest to see who can come out with the most bull? wink.gif

As in animal?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:37 AM