Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Aug 3 2013, 01:00 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 320

They did get the headline right in the newspaper this week. The article does expand the detail with the news that visits to the district's libraries had dropped from 528,842 to 481,758. Perhaps time to review the S106 payments attributed to the libraries for every planning application that is heard.

+Quote Post
GrumblingAgain
post Aug 3 2013, 02:33 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15

I have always felt that this newspaper batted for the leftward side of politics - Lib Dem / Labour and this "mistake" does nothing to make me think otherwise. Perhaps it was the headline deep down they were hoping to write. I wonder if they have anything in common with the BBC? ....

+Quote Post
Sherlock
post Aug 3 2013, 05:39 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,467

QUOTE (GrumblingAgain @ Aug 3 2013, 03:33 PM) *
I have always felt that this newspaper batted for the leftward side of politics - Lib Dem / Labour and this "mistake" does nothing to make me think otherwise. Perhaps it was the headline deep down they were hoping to write. I wonder if they have anything in common with the BBC? ....

Seriously?

The Beeb is shot at from all sides so is obviously getting it right. The lefties I know spend a lot of time whining that Auntie has virtually ignored the coalition's privatisation of the NHS and police and simply prints government press releases intended to rubbish public services so that they can be sold of to their mates.

Obviously most Tories would prefer US Fox News style coverage of all issues here and, given Murdoch still has politicians' testicular areas firmly in his grasp, in spite of the alleged criminal behaviour of many of his most senior underlings, he'll probably get his way.

The reversal of the headline has nothing to do with a leftwards bias in our own dear paper (what a hilarious idea!) but journos these days are trained to accentuate the negative and eliminate the positive whenever possible (except when gushing over a new royal brat, obviously) and that's a much more likely explanation for this particular feck up.

+Quote Post
user23
post Aug 3 2013, 07:40 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (GrumblingAgain @ Aug 3 2013, 03:33 PM) *
Really? The most frequent guest on Question Time is Nigel Farage and he's hardly left wing.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Aug 3 2013, 08:15 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (user23 @ Aug 3 2013, 08:40 PM) *
Really? The most frequent guest on Question Time is Nigel Farage and he's hardly left wing.

It's all relative User.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 4 2013, 12:04 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

Giving a person the 'oxygen of publicity' isn't necessarily done to endorse their views. 'Give them enough rope...'.

+Quote Post
GrumblingAgain
post Aug 4 2013, 08:14 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Why not count up all the left wing and right wing panellists on the programme, over say a period of 1 year. I think you will find that almost every week, the panel will be made up of 1 or 2 right wingers versus 3 or 4 left wingers.

+Quote Post
GrumblingAgain
post Aug 4 2013, 08:23 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Sherlock @ Aug 3 2013, 06:39 PM) *
Seriously?

The Beeb is shot at from all sides so is obviously getting it right. The lefties I know spend a lot of time whining that Auntie has virtually ignored the coalition's privatisation of the NHS and police and simply prints government press releases intended to rubbish public services so that they can be sold of to their mates.

Obviously most Tories would prefer US Fox News style coverage of all issues here and, given Murdoch still has politicians' testicular areas firmly in his grasp, in spite of the alleged criminal behaviour of many of his most senior underlings, he'll probably get his way.

The reversal of the headline has nothing to do with a leftwards bias in our own dear paper (what a hilarious idea!) but journos these days are trained to accentuate the negative and eliminate the positive whenever possible (except when gushing over a new royal brat, obviously) and that's a much more likely explanation for this particular feck up.

I notice no apology from them from what is big error. It's not a case of accentuating up the negative but outright lying. As for the BBC, you obviously don't monitor their spectrum of broadcasting otherwise you'd notice the blatant pro-Palestine, pro-EU, pro-Global Warming, pro-Unions, pro-Islamic, pro-Gay rights & pro-Labour bias. I am sure the lefties do write in, on the rare occasions when the News is slanted to the right, boy do we get to hear of the protests.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Aug 4 2013, 09:01 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (GrumblingAgain @ Aug 4 2013, 09:14 AM) *
Why not count up all the left wing and right wing panellists on the programme, over say a period of 1 year. I think you will find that almost every week, the panel will be made up of 1 or 2 right wingers versus 3 or 4 left wingers.

It all depends where you define as the middle.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 4 2013, 09:10 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Aug 4 2013, 10:01 AM) *

Anything left of intolerant by the looks of it! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Aug 4 2013, 12:48 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (blackdog @ Aug 4 2013, 10:01 AM) *

Me

+Quote Post
user23
post Aug 4 2013, 01:21 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GrumblingAgain @ Aug 4 2013, 09:14 AM) *
This isn't actually true. Here's a list of every panel on the show, ever.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 4 2013, 05:39 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Aug 4 2013, 02:21 PM) *

That isn't a complete list.

"The following is an incomplete list of episodes of Question Time, a current affairs debate television programme broadcast by BBC Television." wink.gif Newbury's appearances are missing for a start!

+Quote Post
GrumblingAgain
post Aug 4 2013, 06:55 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Aug 4 2013, 02:21 PM) *

That's just a list of names. Doesn't prove show the 'politics' of anyone.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Aug 4 2013, 07:27 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (GrumblingAgain @ Aug 4 2013, 07:55 PM) *

It was you who alleged bias, so how about you give some evidence. To my mind that list of panellists demonstrates that the BBC balances the political spectrum of the panellists rather well, and if you find the majority to the left of you (whatever you mean by "left") then that's really more about your politics than it is about bias.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
user23
post Aug 4 2013, 07:37 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GrumblingAgain @ Aug 4 2013, 07:55 PM) *
It does if you click on each name. It'll tell you which political party they're a member of or have an affiliation to.

It looks like you're wrong and most panels were fairly evenly balanced. Take a look at 30th May though, two Conservative Party members, one UKIP and two people from or with a connection to Labour.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 4 2013, 08:40 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (user23 @ Aug 4 2013, 08:37 PM) *
It does if you click on each name. It'll tell you which political party they're a member of or have an affiliation to.

It looks like you're wrong and most panels were fairly evenly balanced. Take a look at 30th May though, two Conservative Party members, one UKIP and two people from or with a connection to Labour.

Just wondering, does this have anything to do with Newbury?
tongue.gif

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
user23
post Aug 4 2013, 08:43 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Aug 4 2013, 09:40 PM) *
Just wondering, does this have anything to do with Newbury?
tongue.gif
Yes. They were all shown on TV in Newbury. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 5 2013, 08:20 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (user23 @ Aug 4 2013, 09:43 PM) *
Yes. They were all shown on TV in Newbury. tongue.gif

Ah, the well-known GMR defence smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:29 AM