Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Newbury Market, Fading away?
On the edge
post Nov 13 2010, 04:53 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 98

Is it just me, over the past few of months the market has gone through phases - some weeks big, some weeks small. On each of the small weeks - its smaller than ever! Is this an example of the economic 'dead cat bounce' theory, in other words its now on the way out? This week was particularly bad, can't all be down to the weather! Oh well, another Newbury feature bites the dust!

--------------------
Know your place!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Nov 13 2010, 04:57 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (On the edge @ Nov 13 2010, 04:53 PM) *
Is it just me, over the past few of months the market has gone through phases - some weeks big, some weeks small. On each of the small weeks - its smaller than ever! Is this an example of the economic 'dead cat bounce' theory, in other words its now on the way out? This week was particularly bad, can't all be down to the weather! Oh well, another Newbury feature bites the dust!

Look at Blackbushe, it used to be massive, now you can get the same discount (and the same knocked-off goods) from your computer chair.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Nov 13 2010, 04:59 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (On the edge @ Nov 13 2010, 04:53 PM) *

I've noticed the same, and the changes. Different faces etc. To be honest; I think the problem is where it is. Nobody things of going down there. The Market place is known as dead mans alley. You often hear the stall holders moaning about the decline of their trade.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Nov 13 2010, 06:38 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (GMR @ Nov 13 2010, 04:59 PM) *
I've noticed the same, and the changes. Different faces etc. To be honest; I think the problem is where it is. Nobody things of going down there. The Market place is known as dead mans alley. You often hear the stall holders moaning about the decline of their trade.

I walked through today, first time for a couple of months, not very many stall at all very disappointed I must say. sad.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Nov 13 2010, 07:55 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Nov 13 2010, 06:38 PM) *
I walked through today, first time for a couple of months, not very many stall at all very disappointed I must say. sad.gif

To be fair I did buy a body warmer from the market last week (and the only reason I went past it was because I was going to the Diamond Tap with my daughter); it was a good bargain. I was thinking of getting another one.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Nov 13 2010, 08:07 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Nov 13 2010, 07:55 PM) *
To be fair I did buy a body warmer from the market last week (and the only reason I went past it was because I was going to the Diamond Tap with my daughter); it was a good bargain. I was thinking of getting another one.

But not any more?

+Quote Post
Dodgys smarter b...
post Nov 13 2010, 08:16 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,100

QUOTE (GMR @ Nov 13 2010, 07:55 PM) *

How many daughters does a man need?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Nov 13 2010, 08:28 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Dodgys smarter brother. @ Nov 13 2010, 08:16 PM) *
How many daughters does a man need?

That depends what task i am training them for. But you can't have too many daughters.... Why do you want one?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Nov 13 2010, 08:29 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Nov 13 2010, 08:07 PM) *
But not any more?

Why?

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Nov 13 2010, 08:52 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Nov 13 2010, 08:29 PM) *
Why?

Just playing with you.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Nov 13 2010, 09:03 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Nov 13 2010, 08:52 PM) *
Just playing with you.

Is this your way of proposing then? And we haven't even had our first kiss.... what sort of woman man do you think I am? Cheap or what? I was expected something better from you.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Nov 13 2010, 09:41 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (GMR @ Nov 13 2010, 08:28 PM) *
That depends what task i am training them for. But you can't have too many daughters.... Why do you want one?

From Newbury Market? I'd sooner buy on-line or pick one up in the supermarket.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Nov 13 2010, 09:49 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Nov 13 2010, 09:41 PM) *
From Newbury Market? I'd sooner buy on-line or pick one up in the supermarket.

I didn't know you could pick up daughters in supermarkets (on line, yes... but not supermarkets... but then they are branching out all the time... I've got a Sainsbury's loyality card... will that help?)

+Quote Post
HJD
post Nov 13 2010, 10:06 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 322

If anyone is in the area or has the need to be in Thame on Tuesday's ( of all days ), you will see their market is still massive & apparently thriving. So what's the difference, are modern Newbury's residents a bit to upper class to be seen shopping at the market perhaps ohmy.gif !

+Quote Post
GMR
post Nov 13 2010, 10:14 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (HJD @ Nov 13 2010, 10:06 PM) *
If anyone is in the area or has the need to be in Thame on Tuesday's ( of all days ), you will see their market is still massive & apparently thriving. So what's the difference, are modern Newbury's residents a bit to upper class to be seen shopping at the market perhaps ohmy.gif !

I think the way Newbury has gone down the last couple of years I can’t imagine anybody who is stuck up still frequenting its shops. Chavs, drunks, litterlouts, swearers, abusers, single-mothers now patronize our town.... upper class? Not here guv! wink.gif tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Chesapeake
post Nov 14 2010, 01:42 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 205

QUOTE (GMR @ Nov 13 2010, 10:14 PM) *
I think the way Newbury has gone down the last couple of years I can't imagine anybody who is stuck up still frequenting its shops. Chavs, drunks, litterlouts, swearers, abusers, single-mothers now patronize our town.... upper class? Not here guv! wink.gif tongue.gif

Sorry GMR but what is your problem with "single-mothers"!!!!? angry.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Nov 14 2010, 01:48 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Chesapeake @ Nov 14 2010, 01:42 PM) *
Sorry GMR but what is your problem with "single-mothers"!!!!? angry.gif

Nothing at all, I was a single-parent myself bringing up kids on my own (it was said tongue in cheek (that is why I put two smilies at the end of my post... so people would know I was joking), sorry if I offended). The majority of single-parents are decent people. It is only the few that spoils it for the rest of us (and notice I said 'us' as I include myself in that group, or at least was).

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Nov 14 2010, 02:36 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (HJD @ Nov 13 2010, 10:06 PM) *

A large part of the problem is that it's run by Newbury Town Council. Hand the whole thing over to a commercial concern and let it sink or swim, and let's save £40k on the precept. I'd be surprised if it didn't thrive.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
KMcC
post Nov 14 2010, 03:07 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 234

Put the market back into Northbrook Street and ban the buses for two days a week. It works in Christchurch, a town of similar size to Newbury, that has a very busy, successful market every Monday.

+Quote Post
Darren
post Nov 14 2010, 03:24 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

Would a move of 0.25 of a mile make that much difference? All you would get is an increase of passing traffic simply because you cannot avoid it. It would look busier but would there be the increase in sales?

The demographic of the market customer base is getting older. It dates back to when there were no supermarkets and everything came from either the baker, butcher, fishmonger, greengrocer, general store etc. Now, one trip to the supermarket and you can get nearly all you need. They have offers each week, BOGOF's and you can pick exactly the fruit and veg you want, rather than looking at the decent stuff in the front, but get served the rubbish at the back.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:36 AM