Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Flaming fireworks
Phil_D11102
post Nov 3 2010, 11:03 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 846

I do not mean to impede on anyones civil liberties here, but isn't it getting a bit much with the fireworks.

We shoot off fireworks once a year in the states, and that's on the 4th of July. Some mindless people do shoot them off a day or two earlier, but it's all ususally over at about 9pm. After 9pm, someone would call the police. On the 4th it ends about 11pm.

It seems here in the UK it's now starting on Halloween, and carrying on through to the 6th or 7th of Nov. Then there is also New Years where everything goes crazy for 30 minutes.

Tonight seemed kinda quiet, one or two bangs, that is until 10pm when the 3rd World War started. We had to sedate the dog as it was going mental..

I don't mean to be a damp squib here, but we need to sedate the dog for a week in the evenings now.

Shouldn't there be some sort of law where there is no fireworks past 9pm during the work week, and 10pm on the weekends.

It's also not the noise, it the fire hazard as well. People shoot off fireworks in their backyards, and we always find rockets and other stuff in our back yard. Dry leaves makes a great combustable for a wayward rocket or sparks.

I am all for organised displays, and there is enough open spaces around the area for people to shoot off fireworks, but it's now getting kinda stupid with the stuff people do.

Enjoy the 5th of November, but keep it real...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Nov 3 2010, 11:07 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

While fireworks are sometimes awe inspiring; I'd be inclined to withdraw them from general sale if I had my way.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Nov 3 2010, 11:11 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

Those 10pm fireworks were way to big for a back yard. Judging from the view I had I'd say they were at rthe racecourse. God knows what it must have sounded like nearer to them.

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post Nov 3 2010, 11:19 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Those 10pm fireworks were way to big for a back yard. Judging from the view I had I'd say they were at rthe racecourse. God knows what it must have sounded like nearer to them.

This evenings 10pm ones were not in someone's backyard, but from my front door you can actually smell the gun powder (granted it was windy).

If they would of been in a neighbors backyard, the confrontation would of been on tomorrow's front page of the NWN.

angry.gif

+Quote Post
Ozzy
post Nov 4 2010, 09:16 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 649

There were definitely some fireworks up at the Racecourse last night. I went to the driving range and there was World War 1 kicking off over the fence. It must have cost a fortune.

I for one hate firework shows in the back garden. Our dog nearly died of a heart attack last year and his barking wakes the baby up.

I like fireworks and could quite happily put up with them for one night, but it lasts nearly two weeks. The level of fireworks being let off concern me as well. They're huge and I end up with all the bits and pieces in my garden! It's all too close for comfort.

I'd like to see it restricted to just one night at the very least. Alternatively I don't see why people can't just go to an organised firework show in an open space. Surely a £5 ticket costs less than buying the usual armoury that get let off at home?

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Nov 4 2010, 10:59 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,076

I was up in Lincolnshire yesterday so got home late-ish. I couldn't believe how loud the fireworks were in Thatcham last night, there was some massive ones going off and then someone at the back of us were letting them off too.

I like fireworks, especially official and organised displays. Last night was maybe a step too far being only the 3rd of November!!!

+Quote Post
Chesapeake
post Nov 4 2010, 01:45 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 205

Hi all, just to let you know that last nights fireworks @ 10pm were from the racecourse. Apparently it was "a small dinner" and they had fireworks afterwards! I think that the main costs for last nights small dinner were the cost of the fireworks display. Wish I had their money to burn (literally).

We also have a dog. But, as we had her from a puppy we made sure that when the loud bangs from the fireworks happened we acted as if they were a normal occurrance and so she is not badly affected by them now (she is only 3yrs old). In fact when we went out last night to view said fireworks she came into the garden with us and she barked only once and I told her to "SHHH" and she then carried on as if nothing worrying was happening. If you react to the bangs and comfort your dog when it shows alarm you give them the impression that there is something to be scared of and they get very anxious. I understand that this is far more difficult if you have an older dog who is already traumatised by these things. If you have a puppy or a young dog please remember that their fears are nearly alwayas learnt behaviours and so try not to give them any reason to be scared by acting as if it is all normal and carry on as you normally would.

I am not an expert in this but gun dogs and police dogs etc are trained not to react by exposing them to loud bangs without giving them any cause to be scared or anxious. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post Nov 4 2010, 03:25 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Chesapeake @ Nov 4 2010, 01:45 PM) *
Hi all, just to let you know that last nights fireworks @ 10pm were from the racecourse. Apparently it was "a small dinner" and they had fireworks afterwards! I think that the main costs for last nights small dinner were the cost of the fireworks display. Wish I had their money to burn (literally).

We also have a dog. But, as we had her from a puppy we made sure that when the loud bangs from the fireworks happened we acted as if they were a normal occurrance and so she is not badly affected by them now (she is only 3yrs old). In fact when we went out last night to view said fireworks she came into the garden with us and she barked only once and I told her to "SHHH" and she then carried on as if nothing worrying was happening. If you react to the bangs and comfort your dog when it shows alarm you give them the impression that there is something to be scared of and they get very anxious. I understand that this is far more difficult if you have an older dog who is already traumatised by these things. If you have a puppy or a young dog please remember that their fears are nearly alwayas learnt behaviours and so try not to give them any reason to be scared by acting as if it is all normal and carry on as you normally would.

I am not an expert in this but gun dogs and police dogs etc are trained not to react by exposing them to loud bangs without giving them any cause to be scared or anxious. biggrin.gif

I will agree, but I think it may also depend on the breed of dog. I don't see many Jack Russell's acting as police dogs or gun dogs.

When our dog was smaller, we tried to do exactly as you said. We also got a CD from the vet, but that didn't work either.

At the end of the day, I would imagine the real issue is not the dog, or the fireworks waking up our one year old if it was one day a year. The real issue is the EXCESSIVE amount of fireworks being shot off days before and after. Compound that with neighbors who don't care about others and insist on having a 30 minute display with the hot debris landing on the roofs and in the back gardens of others causing a fire hazard.

Should they limit the sale of fireworks to just one day before and a brining noise ordenance into effect will alleviate the inconvenince cause by others. We go to the fireworks display at the racecourse. It is well organised, and the money goes to worthy causes.

+Quote Post
Chesapeake
post Nov 4 2010, 04:18 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 205

QUOTE (Phil_D11102 @ Nov 4 2010, 03:25 PM) *
I will agree, but I think it may also depend on the breed of dog. I don't see many Jack Russell's acting as police dogs or gun dogs.

When our dog was smaller, we tried to do exactly as you said. We also got a CD from the vet, but that didn't work either.

At the end of the day, I would imagine the real issue is not the dog, or the fireworks waking up our one year old if it was one day a year. The real issue is the EXCESSIVE amount of fireworks being shot off days before and after. Compound that with neighbors who don't care about others and insist on having a 30 minute display with the hot debris landing on the roofs and in the back gardens of others causing a fire hazard.

Should they limit the sale of fireworks to just one day before and a brining noise ordenance into effect will alleviate the inconvenince cause by others. We go to the fireworks display at the racecourse. It is well organised, and the money goes to worthy causes.

I agree with you whole-heartedly, there are far too many fireworks and far too often. My family and I love to go to the racecourse fireworks display as it's as safe as it could be taking into acount that they are, after all, explosives. The people who have stupid little displays, if you can call them that, in their gardens seem to have abolutely no concern or care about their own lives let alone the distress that they cause their neighbours, their neighbours children and their neighbours pets. Fireworks should be for licenced operatives only.

Don't get me wrong, I love fireworks, they are SO beautiful but when they go wrong they are FAR from beautiful. sad.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Nov 4 2010, 05:36 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

The days have gone when people accepted them good natured.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Nov 4 2010, 09:20 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

Ban them from general sale I say they are just dangerous in the wrong hands.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Nov 4 2010, 09:37 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Nov 4 2010, 09:20 PM) *

So is a toothbrush.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Nov 4 2010, 09:50 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

How? And it has a use other than exploding.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Nov 4 2010, 10:04 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Nov 4 2010, 09:50 PM) *
How? And it has a use other than exploding.

A toothbrush could be used as a deadly weapon; being pushed into somebody's eye or stabbed at the throat.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Nov 4 2010, 10:07 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

But those are the actions of a person, not the sole use and purpose of the toothbrush. A toothbrush is an inanimate object.

+Quote Post
user23
post Nov 4 2010, 10:10 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Strafin @ Nov 4 2010, 09:20 PM) *
I agree, at minimum one should not be able conduct a fireworks display without some form of qualifications.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Nov 4 2010, 10:15 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Nov 4 2010, 10:07 PM) *
But those are the actions of a person, not the sole use and purpose of the toothbrush. A toothbrush is an inanimate object.

So is a car.

+Quote Post
Bumbles
post Nov 18 2010, 03:47 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 887

My neighbour decided that he would stand at the end of the garden, hold onto the fireworks and shoot them up towards the house !!!! And with lots of young children watching (ages 5 to 10yrs) - such great role models!!!

Organised displays are the only way to go i feel.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:37 AM