> Replacement councillor
Darren
post Aug 16 2010, 11:36 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 61

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=14267

Now, I don't claim to know the ins and outs of local politics, but surely if a councillor resigns/dies etc. there should be a by-election called to elect their replacement. It's called Democracy.

Secondly, at 22, do they have enough life experience for the job? Fair play for getting involved, but is 22 too young?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 16 2010, 11:58 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

I agree that it seems like a good idea for the election to be delayed; for the sake of money.

Perhaps there should also be a protocol set up to allow for these eventualities (a deceased councillor and little money in the kitty) so there's no argument if it does. Perhaps a councillor seeking election should nominate a deputy in the event of something happening.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Aug 16 2010, 12:25 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (Darren @ Aug 16 2010, 12:36 PM) *
Now, I don't claim to know the ins and outs of local politics, but surely if a councillor resigns/dies etc. there should be a by-election called to elect their replacement. It's called Democracy.

The rules are simple - in the event of a vacancy arising, the parish council (for such is NTC) must advertise the fact and give 2 weeks for any 10 electors to call for a by-election. If the necessary electors do not come forward the council may then fill the vacancy by co-opting a new councillor.

NTC went through this process - they did not enough electors asking for an election. Therefore they are co-opting a new member. Most parish councils struggle to find enough people to serve so co-option is an incredibly common way of getting on to a parish council.

The process is muddied a bit in Newbury by the political machines that run the council - either of which could, presumably, have found ten electors to kick-off the election. As the co-opted councillor will serve for less than a year before the next election it may make some sense to save the cash. Alternatively it may be that the Tories and Lib Dems didn't want to expose themselves to an electorate that is already fed up with what they are doing in coalition at Westminster.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 16 2010, 12:33 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

I would think the electorate will be a lot more fed-up in a years time!

+Quote Post
Guest_Newburymafia_*
post Aug 16 2010, 01:41 PM
Post #5

Guests

Secondly, at 22, do they have enough life experience for the job? Fair play for getting involved, but is 22 too young?

To be honest, I'd much rather that the entirely ineffectual town council didn't spend any more money on its faffing around than it already does.

In my opinion it's an expensive tourist attraction that offers nothing that couldn't be hoovered up by WBC more efficiently and within the auspices of existing departments. Half of the town councillors are west berkshire councillors anyway.

Personally, I think the town council would be better served by having ONLY those around the age of 22 serving on it, because at least it would give those interested a stepping stone into politics and might invigorate the rather stale institution that it is.

How much life experience do you need to take care of a park? Run some allotments, rent out a market sqaure and spend hours debating the merits of negligable grants to various niche arts and crafts organisations?

Has anyone on this forum, other than the councillors themselves, ever sat in on a town council meeting?! Pulling teeth comes to mind.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 16 2010, 01:56 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Newburymafia @ Aug 16 2010, 02:41 PM) *
To be honest, I'd much rather that the entirely ineffectual town council didn't spend any more money on its faffing around than it already does.

In my opinion it's an expensive tourist attraction that offers nothing that couldn't be hoovered up by WBC more efficiently and within the auspices of existing departments. Half of the town councillors are west berkshire councillors anyway.

Personally, I think the town council would be better served by having ONLY those around the age of 22 serving on it, because at least it would give those interested a stepping stone into politics and might invigorate the rather stale institution that it is.

How much life experience do you need to take care of a park? Run some allotments, rent out a market sqaure and spend hours debating the merits of negligable grants to various niche arts and crafts organisations?

Has anyone on this forum, other than the councillors themselves, ever sat in on a town council meeting?! Pulling teeth comes to mind.

Sadly I'd have to agree. The Town Council started very well indeed; in fact a model of what local government administration ought to look like. Then local politicians started to notice...oh dear! So today, its as useful and effective as a Parish Council - an expensive and wholly unnecessary tier of local government. Let's scrap the lot - just one 'authority' for the area! If you count up the number of Councillors - district and parish, we've probably got more elected representatives running West Berks than we have Great Britian.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Aug 16 2010, 05:07 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

Democracy? - Ha!
We already have an unelected Deputy Prime Minister!
(And Prime Minister come to think of it - sort of.)

Exactly what have we got governing us? blink.gif

+Quote Post
Darren
post Aug 16 2010, 07:54 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Aug 16 2010, 06:07 PM) *
Democracy? - Ha!
We already have an unelected Deputy Prime Minister!
(And Prime Minister come to think of it - sort of.)

Exactly what have we got governing us? blink.gif

Can you name an elected Prime Minister?

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Aug 16 2010, 10:24 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

Isn't that blather about not having an election because it saves money all rather Mugabe-esque. If it cost £5k that's 35p on average for each council tax payer, so representative democracy is hardly a burden. Hang on though, the Council are sitting on £12k that we've already coughed up for election expenses, look.

Anyroad, I don't know what the Conservatives are complaining about as they can always propose their own candidate for co-option and I'm sure Mr Mayor won't be voting politically. Or it might happen that one of their councillors pairs off sick and then makes a last minute recovery and turns up anyway, and then their man would be in, and who knows, he might get elected Leader too.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 16 2010, 10:50 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

I think it is a case of good use of 5k, rather than being able to afford it.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 17 2010, 09:54 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

It's hardly worth making a fuss about, is it? It's not changing the political balance of the council, and presumably those who chose him think he's going to be an asset. Good luck to him.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 17 2010, 10:20 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (JeffG @ Aug 17 2010, 10:54 AM) *
It's hardly worth making a fuss about, is it? It's not changing the political balance of the council, and presumably those who chose him think he's going to be an asset. Good luck to him.

Tend to agree. The whole thing is a farce anyway; inadequate and ineffective. Just a shame we have to pick up the tab for this wholly unnecessary layer of bureacracy. If they really were intent on saving money - they would have run one light 'till the next election. Still, it keeps them out of the rain on a damp evening.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:01 AM