Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Coe defends enforcement of brand rules to protect sponsors
Andy Capp
post Jul 20 2012, 12:37 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 317

I can't wait for this example of contemporary gluttony is over! Be careful what you wear to The Games.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-18922964
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Newbelly
post Jul 20 2012, 12:57 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,669

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jul 20 2012, 01:37 PM) *
I can't wait for this example of contemporary gluttony is over! Be careful what you wear to The Games.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-18922964

Quite, this is branding overkill. Look at the torch procession and how it had to stop outside McDonalds in many towns, so photos and TV pictures had the Golden Arches in the background. But some say, without sponsorship or support from big companies, these type of events wouldn't happen. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jul 20 2012, 01:20 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Newbelly @ Jul 20 2012, 01:57 PM) *
Quite, this is branding overkill. Look at the torch procession and how it had to stop outside McDonalds in many towns, so photos and TV pictures had the Golden Arches in the background. But some say, without sponsorship or support from big companies, these type of events wouldn't happen. rolleyes.gif

Boo! to sponsorship then.

I'm not so concerned with the torch as that was free to attend and was a good community event that perhaps millions have enjoyed. You didn't or don't have to worry too much about what you wear or wore either. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Newbelly
post Jul 20 2012, 03:46 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,669

The more I hear about the organisation of the Olympics, the more believable is BBC TV's Twenty Twelve.

+Quote Post
gel
post Jul 20 2012, 09:55 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 337

QUOTE (Newbelly @ Jul 20 2012, 04:46 PM) *
The more I hear about the organisation of the Olympics, the more believable is BBC TV's Twenty Twelve.

Essential viewing apparently for employees of the inept organisation behind the so called event.

+Quote Post
stewiegriffin
post Jul 21 2012, 08:14 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,387

I'm looking forward to the games.

I'll be there, wearing my Nike trainers, drinking Pepsi and eating Burger King. I'll get there in an Audi fueled by Shell and I'll pay for it by Mastercard on my mobile with it's Vodafone contract.

I'm sure Lord Fauntleroy, sorry, Coe won't mind.

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Jul 21 2012, 01:00 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

I am sorry stewiegriffin.I must disagree.
Lord Coe is a running hare. And should be protected from lampers.

Actually I don't disagree. Since the first days he has been a strange choice.
Something Lords reform should consider.

Even "Gazza" would have got the beer tents running.
ce

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jul 21 2012, 04:32 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

No, shame we couldn't have had Prezza (good old two Jags) - we could have had a true Olympic size c*** up. What we';ve seen so far isn't even bronze!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Jul 21 2012, 06:10 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jul 21 2012, 05:32 PM) *
No, shame we couldn't have had Prezza (good old two Jags) - we could have had a true Olympic size c*** up. What we';ve seen so far isn't even bronze!

Half of team GB will not be at the opening ceremony. BMX riders who have trained for months cannot take part in the opening ceromony as nobody realised people could not get home and it has to finish earlier than planned. Soldiers are being used to take branded crisps off children. Security, well lets not even go there, except to say yet again Ms May cannot understand a calendar. Chilax Dave wants to do his morning jog through the Volley Ball venue. Passport control, gallary staff and transport may be on strike. Competitors have been given the grand tour of London for 4 hours as nobody knew where the stadium was. You cannot move through London, despite one lane in the road being empty. Thousands of civil servants are not at work and the Government has gone on extended holiday. All ex prime ministers have got freebies for the games except Gordon Brown who has paid for him and his family. It is costing us an absolute fortune and you cannot get tickets.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jul 21 2012, 07:11 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

Well I hope London is working next Thursday as I am "going up to tine", and I have to get from Paddington to Waterloo. Perhaps I can hire ce as my driver...

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jul 21 2012, 07:42 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Jul 21 2012, 07:10 PM) *
Half of team GB will not be at the opening ceremony. BMX riders who have trained for months cannot take part in the opening ceromony as nobody realised people could not get home and it has to finish earlier than planned. Soldiers are being used to take branded crisps off children. Security, well lets not even go there, except to say yet again Ms May cannot understand a calendar. Chilax Dave wants to do his morning jog through the Volley Ball venue. Passport control, gallary staff and transport may be on strike. Competitors have been given the grand tour of London for 4 hours as nobody knew where the stadium was. You cannot move through London, despite one lane in the road being empty. Thousands of civil servants are not at work and the Government has gone on extended holiday. All ex prime ministers have got freebies for the games except Gordon Brown who has paid for him and his family. It is costing us an absolute fortune and you cannot get tickets.

It is what you get when you win the bidding for the Olympics. It has nowt to do with parties.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jul 21 2012, 08:45 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jul 21 2012, 08:11 PM) *
Well I hope London is working next Thursday as I am "going up to tine", and I have to get from Paddington to Waterloo. Perhaps I can hire ce as my driver...

Take a good book and change at Reading!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jul 21 2012, 09:17 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jul 21 2012, 09:45 PM) *
Take a good book and change at Reading!

No changes involved with the trains I am taking wink.gif Next thing I have to get to grips with is how texting the car park people (Apcoa) works - I have registered on their site, but the instructions are confusing to say the least.

(As you may have gathered I am no longer a frequent traveller. The Docklands commute was a nightmare and I'm glad when that finished!)

+Quote Post
Dodgys smarter b...
post Jul 21 2012, 10:06 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,100

QUOTE (stewiegriffin @ Jul 21 2012, 09:14 AM) *
I'm sure Lord Fauntleroy, sorry, Coe won't mind.

Those of us with slightly longer memories will remember when Coe was battling against Steve Ovett. They famously met in the 'Clash of the Titans' (two races - the 5000 and 10000 meters if memory serves).

Coe beat Ovett in 1 race and Ovett was the first to go up to him and shake his hand. Ovett beat Coe in the other race and Coe stormed off in a hissy fit without shaking anyone's hand.

Poor sportsmanship.

So, apart from giving William Hague judo lessons (that'll be my knighthood please - kerrr-ching) what has he actually done to prove that in any way, shape or form he's up to the task of organising a World Class event to be shown around the world?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jul 22 2012, 09:02 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Yes, Coe is a Tory 'merchant banker'.

+Quote Post
stewiegriffin
post Jul 22 2012, 09:09 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,387

QUOTE (Dodgys smarter brother. @ Jul 21 2012, 11:06 PM) *
Those of us with slightly longer memories will remember when Coe was battling against Steve Ovett. They famously met in the 'Clash of the Titans' (two races - the 5000 and 10000 meters if memory serves).

It was the 800 & 1500 metres. Sadly, I'm old enough to remember watching it. They each won the race the other was favourite to win.

Coe has alwas been a prissy little posh boy who looks down his nose at the lower orders. That's what lay behind his real dislike of the council estate kid Ovett.

His snotty, "how dare you question my greatness" attitude oozes out of him every time he gets asked a tricky question about the organization of the games.

He has always been completely unqualified to run an event of this size.

Wait until the final accounts for the games are published. The cost to the taxpayer will be horrendous. That will be the only meaningful 'Legacy' Coe will have left behind.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jul 22 2012, 09:58 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jul 21 2012, 10:17 PM) *
No changes involved with the trains I am taking wink.gif Next thing I have to get to grips with is how texting the car park people (Apcoa) works - I have registered on their site, but the instructions are confusing to say the least.

(As you may have gathered I am no longer a frequent traveller. The Docklands commute was a nightmare and I'm glad when that finished!)

Change at Reading onto a train to Waterloo - then you don't need to do the cross London leg.

But the Waterloo trains are slow - so it might take longer.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jul 22 2012, 10:32 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Jul 22 2012, 10:58 AM) *
Change at Reading onto a train to Waterloo - then you don't need to do the cross London leg.

But the Waterloo trains are slow - so it might take longer.

Thank you but no. Did you know that the rail distance from Reading to Paddington is 35 miles but the rail distance from Reading to Waterloo is 70 miles, i.e. twice the distance? So it's not surprising it takes longer.

I have fond memories (not) of having to catch the Waterloo service home when I've got to Paddington and found it closed for some reason.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jul 22 2012, 10:42 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Jul 22 2012, 10:58 AM) *
Change at Reading onto a train to Waterloo - then you don't need to do the cross London leg. But the Waterloo trains are slow - so it might take longer.
QUOTE (JeffG @ Jul 22 2012, 11:32 AM) *
Thank you but no. Did you know that the rail distance from Reading to Paddington is 35 miles but the rail distance from Reading to Waterloo is 70 miles, i.e. twice the distance? So it's not surprising it takes longer. I have fond memories (not) of having to catch the Waterloo service home when I've got to Paddington and found it closed for some reason.

OK, we don't have to worry about categories, but could you try and keep it in the same thread? This one is a b1tch about 'Toryboy' sycophant Seb Coe! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jul 22 2012, 10:49 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Sorry sad.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:32 PM