blackdog
post Jul 17 2010, 11:02 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 130

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jul 17 2010, 10:46 AM) *
Huh?

British Waterways have just re-categorised the K&A as a Cruiseway - which is great news for the K&A because it raises it to the first tier of inland waterways and increases the likelihood of money being spent on its maintenance. Until now it was classified as semi-derelict or somesuch - perhaps they hadn't noticed that it had been reopened?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 17 2010, 11:19 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

Why don't people include even the most basic information when they start a new thread? We don't all automatically know what you're talking about.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jul 17 2010, 11:56 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jul 16 2010, 04:44 PM) *
When it's a 'Cruiseway'....

Does that mean George Michael will be 'cruising' down at the K&A? blink.gif

Are you infact Jim Davidson? or Royston Vasey? Bernard Manning?

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jul 18 2010, 08:27 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 17 2010, 12:19 PM) *
Why don't people include even the most basic information when they start a new thread? We don't all automatically know what you're talking about.

Perhaps some view this as a forum to comment on NWN stories and hence expect contributors to have read (at least) the online articles.

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=14007

Obviously I didn't take it all in - the reclassification has not yet happened.

BBC teletext is putting a different slant on the story today - NWN have the reclassification as a given - BBC makes it sound like it is far from a given. "Supporters of the Kennet & Avon Canal are attempting to get the waterway reclassified as a fully-working canal".

+Quote Post
user23
post Jul 18 2010, 11:28 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

Looks like the consultation into whether it should be reclassified didn't start until Friday.

http://kennetavontrustnews.blogspot.com/

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jul 18 2010, 12:48 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

Thank you for the link Blackdog - must have been really hard. I didn't even know there was a news item about it (I see now it's way down in the "Other news" section.)

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 18 2010, 03:18 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 17 2010, 12:19 PM) *

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jul 18 2010, 01:48 PM) *
Thank you for the link Blackdog - must have been really hard. I didn't even know there was a news item about it (I see now it's way down in the "Other news" section.)

Top tip: If some one appears to refer to a topic not in the national news, it is likely to be a reaction to a recent news item on Newburytoday.co.uk. It is the first place I'd look. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 18 2010, 04:30 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Invariably those posts without a source link or an inclination as to what they are referring to, tend to be the ones with fewer responses. It is in the interests of the person opening a thread to include these things.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 18 2010, 04:58 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 18 2010, 05:30 PM) *
Invariably those posts without a source link or an inclination as to what they are referring to, tend to be the ones with fewer responses. It is in the interests of the person opening a thread to include these things.

Like I said: top tip, if in doubt, check the news section of newburytoday.co.uk site. In other words (IOW) - stop being lazy! wink.gif biggrin.gif

Although, myself, I do include a link to a story. That is because not only am I modest, I'm thoughtful too! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 18 2010, 05:07 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Surely the poster is the one being lazy? If I want to make a point and start a thread I should tell people what it's about. I've seen posts on here before with no relevant info that is not to do with stories on the website but just in the paper - should I go out and buy the paper just to respond to a thread?

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 18 2010, 05:21 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 18 2010, 06:07 PM) *
Surely the poster is the one being lazy? If I want to make a point and start a thread I should tell people what it's about. I've seen posts on here before with no relevant info that is not to do with stories on the website but just in the paper - should I go out and buy the paper just to respond to a thread?

Only if you want to find out what's happening, but I suggest trying the paper's website first, if they have one. It'll save on petrol. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 18 2010, 06:58 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Nah, I'm just going to ignore stupid threads.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 18 2010, 07:00 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 18 2010, 07:58 PM) *
Nah, I'm just going to ignore stupid threads.

That's probably the best idea. What you don't know can't hurt you!

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jul 18 2010, 08:16 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jul 18 2010, 01:48 PM) *

It was easy enough - it was the top item when the first post was made.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jul 19 2010, 08:22 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

The facts......................

Please find latest press release below regarding the future of the Kennet and Avon Canal
Kind Regards
Alan

Alan Whitewick
Honorary Editor
The Butty
www.katrust.org

Kennet & Avon Canal cruises into the future
16th Jul 2010

Almost 200 years to the day that it was first opened, 20 years since the navigation was opened once more, and 10 years after the hugely successful Lottery supported restoration project, the Kennet & Avon Canal could soon reclaim its status as a fully-fledged, working canal.

The reclassification, backed by British Waterways, The Kennet and Avon Canal Trust and by canal supporters, would see the historic, 87-mile long waterway upgraded from ‘remainder’ status – one step above a derelict canal – to that of a national ‘cruiseway’.

A six week public consultation will begin on Friday 16 July to gauge opinion on the move. Following the consultation, a decision to re-classify will be made by a Minister from the waterways sponsoring government department, the Department for Food and Rural Affairs.

Mark Stephens, British Waterways’ waterway manager, said: “British Waterways has, in reality, been managing the Kennet & Avon Canal as if it has had cruiseway status since its multi-million pound restoration.

“We think that the formalisation of this status is beneficial to the canal, helping to secure its long term future by legally stating that the canal should be maintained to a level whereby cruising craft, such as narrowboats, can safely navigate the length of the canal. Here at British Waterways we believe that this is the appropriate classification for this popular and much-loved waterway, which this year is celebrating its 200th anniversary.”

Whilst the canal is classified as a remainder waterway, legally, the maintenance requirements are significantly lower, as technically the waterway doesn’t need to support navigational craft.

Thriving leisure resource

The reclassification of the waterway during this the canal’s bicentenary year would be especially poignant, and a way to acknowledge the amazing works undertaken by volunteers and partnership groups to save the canal from oblivion and turn it back into a thriving leisure resource, a piece of working heritage and a linear wildlife habitat.

The Kennet & Avon Canal is regarded as a blueprint for successful waterway restoration and regeneration and the restored canal managed by British Waterways, working with volunteers from the local community and local authorities, is one of the inspirations behind plans to establish a new ‘national trust’ for the waterways.

David Rees, Chairman, Kennet & Avon Canal Trust said: “The Trust welcomes British Waterways desire to change the status of the canal from a remainder waterway to a cruiseway canal. It has long been the ambition of my predecessors to gain this objective for we see this as a commitment from British Waterways to the long-term future of the canal and a public promise to maintain this wonderful historic waterway that brings enjoyment and pleasure to so many people.”

The re-classification notice regarding the change in status will be advertised in a variety of local and national papers, online at www.katrust.org and will be posted in British Waterways’ information boards along the length of the Kennet & Avon Canal.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jul 19 2010, 08:24 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

Just a quick apology to say that I should have included the link to the article. I thought I had but must have been a bit forgetful that day. sad.gif

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 19 2010, 06:09 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

I forgive you!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:07 PM