> What's in a name?
Strafin
post Jul 20 2010, 05:42 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 55

QUOTE (spartacus @ Jul 19 2010, 10:47 PM) *
Bonkers.... A good mate of mine is a 'Social Worker'... How does he answer when asked "What do you do for a living?"

"oh, I'm a social worker with West Berkshire council... "

Exactly he says I'm a social worker first. Suprisingly he then adds on WBC I would have thought he would only do this when questioned but not everyone's the same. My comments are based solely on my experiences and I stand by them.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ossy1
post Jul 20 2010, 06:22 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

QUOTE (HeatherW @ Jul 20 2010, 05:47 PM) *
On the subject of 'names' on forums I use my own. I can not understand why people want to hide their real names, unless they have something to hide. Did I not read somewhere in this thread that Billy and, I think, Ozzy, were abused? That would not have happened if people were countable for their actions. Personally I think that is why people like the forums so much, they can be abusive without suffering the consequences of their actions. Which is a sad indictment of our society. That is what I think.

I use a user name I have used for about 10 years as a result of a nickname I was given!! Not that I should have to explain myself. Anyway who is to say that you are in fact using your name????

People post abuse what ever name you use, if they don't agree with you are you with them or you say what your job is. I'm fairly comfortable with the fact that people have a go at me because they wouldnt be brave enough to do it face to face.

+Quote Post
user23
post Jul 20 2010, 07:01 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 20 2010, 06:40 PM) *
Not really, it's my opinion. I'll expand further if you tell us whether you work in a front line service, or in one of WBC's offices "administering".
Why the interest in what Bill does? Are you going to tell us all what you do for a living?
QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 20 2010, 06:42 PM) *
Exactly he says I'm a social worker first. Suprisingly he then adds on WBC I would have thought he would only do this when questioned but not everyone's the same. My comments are based solely on my experiences and I stand by them.
Doesn't everyone do this, right from "I work on the checkouts at Tesco", to "I'm a Director at Vodafone". I wouldn't find it surprising in the least for someone to name the organisation they work for after their role.

I would have though that those who work for the council would be proud to be putting something back into their community even if it meant a slightly lower standard of living for themselves, so would be even more likely to mention it.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 20 2010, 07:01 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (user23 @ Jul 20 2010, 06:19 PM) *
Me too. In fact anyone who thinks they have nothing to hide, please could they post their address, bank account details and mother's maiden name on here? wink.gif

Was that supposed to be humorous? Telling people your name and telling them your deeper personal details is two different things. I presume your work colleagues know who you are, including your wife/ boyfriend, but I doubt if they know your mother's maiden name or bank details.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 20 2010, 07:04 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

QUOTE (ossy1 @ Jul 20 2010, 07:22 PM) *
I use a user name I have used for about 10 years as a result of a nickname I was given!! Not that I should have to explain myself. Anyway who is to say that you are in fact using your name????

People post abuse what ever name you use, if they don't agree with you are you with them or you say what your job is. I'm fairly comfortable with the fact that people have a go at me because they wouldnt be brave enough to do it face to face.

What I say on here I would say to your or anybody's face; no problem. And I am easily traceable. But I do share what you say; people on here would say things to you, which they wouldn't say to your face. Which is sad.

+Quote Post
user23
post Jul 20 2010, 07:18 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

QUOTE (ossy1 @ Jul 20 2010, 07:22 PM) *
Spot on ossy. I'm fairly restrained in what I say on here as I suspect you are too for obvious reasons compared to a real life debate, I'm sure some on here are the other way around though.

+Quote Post
ossy1
post Jul 20 2010, 07:57 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 20 2010, 08:04 PM) *
What I say on here I would say to your or anybody's face; no problem. And I am easily traceable. But I do share what you say; people on here would say things to you, which they wouldn't say to your face. Which is sad.

Well then you would be a first, in all my years the only people that tell me to my face about what they think of my job have generally had a skin full and are usually wearing my handcuffs at the time.. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 20 2010, 08:12 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

QUOTE (ossy1 @ Jul 20 2010, 08:57 PM) *
Well then you would be a first, in all my years the only people that tell me to my face about what they think of my job have generally had a skin full and are usually wearing my handcuffs at the time.. laugh.gif

What makes you think I would say anything bad to you? All I said was that what I say on here I would say to your face. Even though i am very critical of some aspects of policing I am on the whole supportive of the police. But then again we all should be critical; constructive criticism is a way of valuating things and then trying to improve them. I am sure you are also very critical of certain aspects of policing as well?

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 20 2010, 08:21 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Jul 20 2010, 08:01 PM) *
Why the interest in what Bill does? Are you going to tell us all what you do for a living?Doesn't everyone do this, right from "I work on the checkouts at Tesco", to "I'm a Director at Vodafone". I wouldn't find it surprising in the least for someone to name the organisation they work for after their role.

I would have though that those who work for the council would be proud to be putting something back into their community even if it meant a slightly lower standard of living for themselves, so would be even more likely to mention it.

How does a receptionist, customer service rep or accountant put something back into the community? Are you again trying to imply that WBC pay less than other employers because they don't. I take on board what you are saying about mentioning your employer, but people who work for Primark (for example) wouldn't say I'm a sales assistant for Associated British Foods.

+Quote Post
user23
post Jul 20 2010, 08:27 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 20 2010, 09:21 PM) *
How does a receptionist, customer service rep or accountant put something back into the community? Are you again trying to imply that WBC pay less than other employers because they don't. I take on board what you are saying about mentioning your employer, but people who work for Primark (for example) wouldn't say I'm a sales assistant for Associated British Foods.
Don't dodge the question. Who do you work for?

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 20 2010, 08:40 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

You first.

+Quote Post
user23
post Jul 20 2010, 08:48 PM
Post #52

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 20 2010, 09:40 PM) *
You first.
How immature. You're quite keen to take an interest others' jobs but when it comes to your own it seems you're not so forthcoming. This conversation is going nowhere, so you're going back on "Ignore".

I think this thread proves that any sort of forum meet up would be a bad idea.

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jul 20 2010, 08:49 PM
Post #53

Guests

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 20 2010, 09:21 PM) *

Without the cogs the wheels don't turn and no I will not tell you what I do and I'm still waiting for an apology for your insulting spouting yesterday.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 20 2010, 08:55 PM
Post #54

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Jul 20 2010, 09:48 PM) *
How immature. You're quite keen to take an interest others' jobs but when it comes to your own it seems you're not so forthcoming. This conversation is going nowhere, so you're going back on "Ignore".

I think this thread proves that any sort of forum meet up would be a bad idea.

That doesn't prove anything... all it says is that some people don't get on. As happens in the world outside cyberspace. The difference between your cynical self and me is that I've been on forum meets and they've turned out to be very good and very interesting. People should try things before criticising. I think your comments is a sad reflection yourself. Don't judge people as you judge yourself.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 20 2010, 09:01 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Jul 20 2010, 09:49 PM) *
Without the cogs the wheels don't turn and no I will not tell you what I do and I'm still waiting for an apology for your insulting spouting yesterday.

You'll be waiting a long time. Don't take it personally though, WBC is just a great example of why the public sector is so awash with waste, wasters, and non jobs. There is some good in there probably, I just haven't seen it. To be fair Bill, I was defending you when others were saying that you were a waste of their money for posting on here so there is some balance.

+Quote Post
user23
post Jul 20 2010, 09:05 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Jul 20 2010, 09:49 PM) *
Time to use the Ignore function Bill.

Don't feed wind up merchants and those that are unnecessarily rude, it makes for a poorer forum.

+Quote Post
ossy1
post Jul 20 2010, 09:31 PM
Post #57

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 20 2010, 10:01 PM) *
You'll be waiting a long time. Don't take it personally though, WBC is just a great example of why the public sector is so awash with waste, wasters, and non jobs. There is some good in there probably, I just haven't seen it. To be fair Bill, I was defending you when others were saying that you were a waste of their money for posting on here so there is some balance.

And you work for???

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 20 2010, 09:47 PM
Post #58

Advanced Member

QUOTE (ossy1 @ Jul 20 2010, 10:31 PM) *
And you work for???

I can tell you that myself; Strafin is the senior police chief for this area. Effectively your boss.... so start kissing ar*e. laugh.gif wink.gif

Sorry Strafin for giving out your secret.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 20 2010, 09:49 PM
Post #59

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Jul 20 2010, 10:05 PM) *
Time to use the Ignore function Bill.

Don't feed wind up merchants and those that are unnecessarily rude, it makes for a poorer forum.

Actually; you and your 'ignore' fanaticism makes for a poorer forum. Stop blaming everybody else for what you lack.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 20 2010, 09:51 PM
Post #60

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

What do I do? Not much. After seven days, there wasn't much left for me to do! tongue.gif

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 08:26 PM