Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Newbury Road Names, Local books
On the edge
post Aug 13 2011, 08:10 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 98

Apparently Roy Tubb has published his latest - Newbury Street Names. Smiths don't seem to have a copy and the Museum is now closed. Anyone know how I can get hold of one? He's done Thatcham and some of the villages. They are brilliant - snippets of information in a very readable style.

--------------------
Know your place!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 13 2011, 08:28 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (On the edge @ Aug 13 2011, 09:10 PM) *
Apparently Roy Tubb has published his latest - Newbury Street Names. Smiths don't seem to have a copy and the Museum is now closed. Anyone know how I can get hold of one? He's done Thatcham and some of the villages. They are brilliant - snippets of information in a very readable style.

Cold Ash post office.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 13 2011, 08:44 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

I have a copy and it is very good. You can also get one from Stockcross post office. If not contact me and I'll get one for you from Roy Tubbs himself.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 14 2011, 06:45 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Thanks folks - appreciated.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 22 2011, 07:53 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Have been out of area when shops mentioned were open but today Mrs OTE presented me with a copy when I came in. Well worth the wait!

Just scanning through found something that I've wanted to know for ages. Francis Berry, one of our previous Mayors wrote a trilogy about her family and growing up in Newbury from the late 1800's. Even if you are not interested in local history - its a great read and very well written. The story ends just after WW2 - however, I wanted to know what eventually happened to her mum and dad - Roy Tubb provided the answer. Won't spoil it; but its a great ending!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 23 2011, 04:39 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (On the edge @ Aug 22 2011, 08:53 PM) *
Have been out of area when shops mentioned were open but today Mrs OTE presented me with a copy when I came in. Well worth the wait!

Aw bless her! Well done Mrs OTE.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Sep 27 2011, 02:38 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

Roy is giving a talk on Newbury road names at the Newbury History Group meeting this evening (7:30pm at St John's Parish Room) - I'm sure he'll bring a few copies along in case anyone is still trying to find one.
http://www.ndfc.org.uk/talks/1109E%2520Tubb.html

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:29 AM