3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stupid Cyclist
Anon
post Jun 2 2009, 01:10 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 113

I think this is a pefect opportunity to express my frustration at cyclists who insist on riding on the road when there is a cycle path provided, which the council shas spent so much money on providing, and we know how much people in Berkshire hate the council wasting money!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jun 2 2009, 01:32 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (Anon @ Jun 2 2009, 02:10 PM) *
I think this is a pefect opportunity to express my frustration at cyclists who insist on riding on the road when there is a cycle path provided, which the council shas spent so much money on providing, and we know how much people in Berkshire hate the council wasting money!!
I'd like to take the opportunity to express my frustration at people moaning about people legally going about their business when cycling on the road. Shared usage paths are rubbish and a hindrance for serious cyclists. I hardly ever use a path and I don't want them, please waste the money on something else.

+Quote Post
Road User
post Jun 2 2009, 03:43 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 38

QUOTE (Nobby @ Jun 1 2009, 05:04 PM) *
So if you were crossing the street & a speeding HGV was hurtling towards you would you act the same way? I doubt it.

What you have admitted is that you deliberately blocked a public right of way and attempted to cause an accident which would have resulted in injury - 2 CRIMINAL offences. Perhaps you should have reported them as you "saw them several times" and there were plenty of Police on duty?

There are idiots on wheels irrespective of what they ride or drive but it is always car owners who think they own the Public Highway. A vast majority of motorists in the UK exceed the speed limit at some point during every journey they take and anyone who denies that is probably being untruthful - the so-called 'persecutuon of the motorist' as was alluded to earlier is a prime example of the double standards applied. No doubt it was aimed (at least in part) toward speed/safety cameras? Well if you're driving within the law what difference do they actually make to you?

Pots/kettles.

I wasn't breaking the law I was walking on the pavement as any pedestrian has the right too. I happened to cross the opening to the ally just as she came to the opening. If she had been pushing her bike she would have had plenty of time to stop but she was riding on the PEDESTRIAN pathway between the cook shop and the clothing shop. I doubt an HGV could fit down there so no I wouldn't step out in front of the HGV hurtling down the Narrow pedestrian alley way between the buildings. I was not attempting to cause an accident mearly walking within my rights down a Pedestrian pavement. If I had seen any police officers I would have reported them but as a matter of fact I didn't. So it was not pot and kettle.

+Quote Post
Andy1
post Jun 3 2009, 12:27 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 121

I either drive a car, ride a bike, ride a motorbike or run from Hermitage into Newbury, I'm not a perfect driver. My experience tells me that a high number of people who only ever drive Cars drivers are unaware of their environment and the dangers within it because they are in there own little world, I'm not saying bike riders aren't but that car drivers are more so. Having the right of way doesn't mean driving without a care.

+Quote Post
Anon
post Jun 3 2009, 01:24 PM
Post #25

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jun 2 2009, 02:32 PM) *
I'd like to take the opportunity to express my frustration at people moaning about people legally going about their business when cycling on the road. Shared usage paths are rubbish and a hindrance for serious cyclists. I hardly ever use a path and I don't want them, please waste the money on something else.

Do forgive me for mearly expressing an opinion about the arrogance of cyclists who have been given a safer opportunity to enjoy their hobby! Your obviously in to extreme sports if you would prefer to risk your life cycling on the road, when a safer alternative is provided.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jun 3 2009, 04:25 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Anon @ Jun 3 2009, 02:24 PM) *
Do forgive me for merely expressing an opinion about the arrogance of cyclists who have been given a safer opportunity to enjoy their hobby! Your obviously in to extreme sports if you would prefer to risk your life cycling on the road, when a safer alternative is provided.
You need not apologies for 'merely' expressing your opinion, provided I am entitled to defend the people you get angry with. You are not the first person to post a rant on this topic and I suspect it will almost certainly be by people that don't cycle regularly. I am not an extreme sports enthusiast, nor a thrill seeker, but when I cycle, I like to make progress.

Often (cycle) paths are occupied by pedestrians ambling along, disturbing the progress of cyclists. Also, left turn roads act as a constant nuisance for cyclists that are obliged to stop at everyone. Wider roads with cycle lanes are a much better option for experienced or enthusiastic cyclists. Even the council seem to have acknowledged this by appearing to be installing more of these lately.

Cycle paths have their value, but are not always the most useful option when one wants to make progress. Also, if I felt so intimidated by other vehicles on the road to necessitate cycle paths (often mixed use), I'd consider not using a cycle altogether.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 3 2009, 07:37 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Anon @ Jun 3 2009, 02:24 PM) *
Do forgive me for mearly expressing an opinion about the arrogance of cyclists who have been given a safer opportunity to enjoy their hobby! Your obviously in to extreme sports if you would prefer to risk your life cycling on the road, when a safer alternative is provided.

You are totally wrong. I won’t ride on cycle paths at all. I do, however, ride on cycle lanes. Cycle paths are actually dangerous. I ride to keep fit and fast. People who walk on paths/ cycle paths are abusive, won’t get out of the way etc. Also; the cycle paths are littered with glass and rubbish which can cause more accidents. Road are regularly cleaned and are much safer. I was even advised by a police cyclist once to ride on the road or cycle lanes as they are much safer. I would never recommend cycle paths to anybody.

When I ride down lower way - on the road - I always get abuse from car drivers; it is either that or pedestrians on cycle paths. Pedestrians are more abusive and threatening.

+Quote Post
AmieB
post Jun 4 2009, 09:41 AM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 44

QUOTE (GMR @ Jun 3 2009, 08:37 PM) *
You are totally wrong. I won’t ride on cycle paths at all. I do, however, ride on cycle lanes. Cycle paths are actually dangerous. I ride to keep fit and fast. People who walk on paths/ cycle paths are abusive, won’t get out of the way etc. Also; the cycle paths are littered with glass and rubbish which can cause more accidents. Road are regularly cleaned and are much safer. I was even advised by a police cyclist once to ride on the road or cycle lanes as they are much safer. I would never recommend cycle paths to anybody.

When I ride down lower way - on the road - I always get abuse from car drivers; it is either that or pedestrians on cycle paths. Pedestrians are more abusive and threatening.

I do not cycle but have to agree that its safer not to use the cycle paths. When i walk down Kiln Hill everybody walks in the cycle path. When a cyclist does come down they end up having to break hard/swerve etc to miss pedestrians. The pedestrians end up shouting abuse at the cylclist, when they are in the wrong! I personally feel its safer for a cylcist to us the road.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 4 2009, 11:37 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

QUOTE (AmieB @ Jun 4 2009, 10:41 AM) *
I do not cycle but have to agree that its safer not to use the cycle paths. When i walk down Kiln Hill everybody walks in the cycle path. When a cyclist does come down they end up having to break hard/swerve etc to miss pedestrians. The pedestrians end up shouting abuse at the cylclist, when they are in the wrong! I personally feel its safer for a cylcist to us the road.

My son regularly uses kiln road/ hill to get to work; and he uses the cycle paths. Cars are regularly parked half on the road and half on the cycle path. Once when he was going down the hill a car driver opened the door leading onto the cycle path just when he was going by. He smashed into her door and was badly injured. Cycle paths are a death trap. Why they didn’t put cycle lanes in instead I don’t know. I won’t ride on them as a matter of principle anymore.

Most car drivers who shout at you for not using the cycle lane are usually too stupid to see beyond their ignorance. Most pedestrians are not educated enough to share a path with cyclists.

+Quote Post
GrumblingAgain
post Jun 4 2009, 01:14 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15

AmieB I do apologise if this is too boring for you to read tongue.gif

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jun 3 2009, 05:25 PM) *
Often (cycle) paths are occupied by pedestrians ambling along, disturbing the progress of cyclists. Also, left turn roads act as a constant nuisance for cyclists that are obliged to stop at everyone. Wider roads with cycle lanes are a much better option for experienced or enthusiastic cyclists. Even the council seem to have acknowledged this by appearing to be installing more of these lately.
That's rubbish through isn't it.

You make it sound like our pavements are chockablock with pedestrians - with the exception of perhaps the town centres themselves or near to schools at opening/closing times, our streets are mostly deserted at all other times of day, and the occasional pedestrian is easily passed when the cyclist shows a tiny bit of care.

You don't have to stop at every left turn. Again you make it sound like every junction has conflicting traffic forcing you to stop, each and every time! A glance over your shoulder would be enough to assess the situation, and on the rare occasion you do have to slow down or stop - well news for you but cars too don't get right of way at every junction - they too have to stop from time to time. Unless you're one of those cyclists for which rules don't apply.

Unless new roads are being laid, the chances of having roads made wider AND having a decent sized cycle paths laid alongside are very very slim.

Cycle paths are actually dangerous.
Utter cobblers - no more dangerous than roads or canal tow paths and to be honest probably 10 times safer.

People who walk on paths/ cycle paths are abusive
The same sweeping statement can also be used to say that cyclists who cycle are always breaking the cycling/road laws.

cycle paths are littered with glass and rubbish which can cause more accidents
More hysterical nonsense. In all my years of walking and cycling I have never had or seen any accident caused by litter and glass on pavements. Very occasionally you might see broken glass on a pavement - but equally you will see glass in the roads too. Roads aren't cleaned that often you know.

I would never recommend cycle paths to anybody.
That is a ridiculous and quite frankly dangerous recommendation.

Probably because car drivers are sick and tired of hearing the cycling lobby constantly banging on about wanting tax payer's money to be used to convert footpaths into shared use cycle paths then finding out that said cyclists would rather use the roads anyway. But strangely, whenever there is no cycle lane or cycle path provided then the same cyclists suddenly DO decide to give up the road and use the footpath!

I witnessed a yellow clad cyclist using Lower Way or The Moors a while back when they were laying a gas main. Half the road was shut with traffic lights controlling the traffic. Whilst the cars stopped for their red light, the cyclist just continued on his way, forcing cars coming the other way (on green) to stop! Wasn't you by any chance was it?

No wonder motorists get frustrated. Often as not, the cyclist is disobeying some road law anyway. And before you ask, yes I cycle and drive and walk.

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jun 4 2009, 01:37 PM
Post #31

Guests

I saw 3 cyclists go through red lights whilst cycling on roads at lunchtime.

Why do they ignore them?

Do they think they don't apply to them?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 4 2009, 03:40 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GrumblingAgain @ Jun 4 2009, 02:14 PM) *

You make it sound like our pavements are chockablock with pedestrians - with the exception of perhaps the town centres themselves or near to schools at opening/closing times, our streets are mostly deserted at all other times of day, and the occasional pedestrian is easily passed when the cyclist shows a tiny bit of care.

You don't have to stop at every left turn. Again you make it sound like every junction has conflicting traffic forcing you to stop, each and every time! A glance over your shoulder would be enough to assess the situation, and on the rare occasion you do have to slow down or stop - well news for you but cars too don't get right of way at every junction - they too have to stop from time to time. Unless you're one of those cyclists for which rules don't apply.

Unless new roads are being laid, the chances of having roads made wider AND having a decent sized cycle paths laid alongside are very very slim.

Utter cobblers - no more dangerous than roads or canal tow paths and to be honest probably 10 times safer.

The same sweeping statement can also be used to say that cyclists who cycle are always breaking the cycling/road laws.

More hysterical nonsense. In all my years of walking and cycling I have never had or seen any accident caused by litter and glass on pavements. Very occasionally you might see broken glass on a pavement - but equally you will see glass in the roads too. Roads aren't cleaned that often you know.

Probably because car drivers are sick and tired of hearing the cycling lobby constantly banging on about wanting tax payer's money to be used to convert footpaths into shared use cycle paths then finding out that said cyclists would rather use the roads anyway. But strangely, whenever there is no cycle lane or cycle path provided then the same cyclists suddenly DO decide to give up the road and use the footpath!

I witnessed a yellow clad cyclist using Lower Way or The Moors a while back when they were laying a gas main. Half the road was shut with traffic lights controlling the traffic. Whilst the cars stopped for their red light, the cyclist just continued on his way, forcing cars coming the other way (on green) to stop! Wasn't you by any chance was it?

No wonder motorists get frustrated. Often as not, the cyclist is disobeying some road law anyway. And before you ask, yes I cycle and drive and walk.

That is your view, but I don't share it. I can only go by my experiences and talking to other cyclists.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 4 2009, 03:41 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Jun 4 2009, 02:37 PM) *
I saw 3 cyclists go through red lights whilst cycling on roads at lunchtime.

Why do they ignore them?

Do they think they don't apply to them?

I always stop at red lights. Don't forget even car drivers go threw red lights. You don't have to be a cyclist to be a bad driver.

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jun 4 2009, 04:24 PM
Post #34

Guests

GMR I agree some cars jump lights as they change but the cyclists just carried on regardless even though there were a queue of cars at the already red light.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jun 4 2009, 05:58 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Are you expecting me to agree with you, because I don't.
AND if the pedestrian is taking care! Mind you, where did I say pavements are choker block, that's just your embellishment. What I will say is, I like to make progress when I cycle, meaning over 10 mile an hour, usually well over 15 mph on a straight. On a path this is hazardous, especial as paths vary in design.
You don't have to stop at every left turn. Again you make it sound like every junction has conflicting traffic forcing you to stop, each and every time!
OK, so that I might sate your pedantic disposition, I'll re-phrase it and say one has to give way to traffic turning left, but when on the road one does not.
A glance over your shoulder would be enough to assess the situation, and on the rare occasion you do have to slow down or stop
It is a lot more common than that, especially as it is so often the case that drivers don't bother indicating, one has to treat almost every left turn as a road that a car is about to drive down. On the road, this isn't so much of a problem.
- well news for you but cars too don't get right of way at every junction - they too have to stop from time to time.
I know, but for them to accelerate away and get back to cruising speed is a lot less inconvenient than a cyclist, but at the end of the day this point is irrelevant.
Unless you're one of those cyclists for which rules don't apply.
My original post was only to provide an insight into why cyclist don't appreciate cycle paths (mainly because they are not, they are shared use), but I regret you have chosen to use language that is disrespectful and rude.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 5 2009, 12:36 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Jun 4 2009, 05:24 PM) *
GMR I agree some cars jump lights as they change but the cyclists just carried on regardless even though there were a queue of cars at the already red light.

We must not forget that they also but their life in danger as well.

+Quote Post
Anon
post Jun 5 2009, 01:19 PM
Post #37

I must say that I agree with pretty much everything you say, I think the response to your comments shows a running theme of ignorance to a certain degree.

I also cycle and drive, as well as having 2 parents who ride motorbikes. I know that car drivers ar not completely innocent in all of this, as some of them are equally ignorrant, if not more so than cyclists. However personally I would prefer to see all cyclists made to use cycle paths or cycle lanes where provided. I do agree that cycle lanes are far safer to use then cycle paths and would happily back any campaign to get more cycle lanes put in, if cyclists contribute more to their road tax!

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jun 5 2009, 01:58 PM
Post #38

Guests

QUOTE (GMR @ Jun 5 2009, 01:36 PM) *
We must not forget that they also but their life in danger as well.

Obviously.

+Quote Post
Simon
post Jun 6 2009, 07:31 AM
Post #39

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18

I have been using my bicycle alot recently, as I have been training for the London to Brighton bike ride in aid of the British Heart Foundation. One of the routes I have been using is mainly cycle paths all around Newbury and Thatcham, and I have to say the cycle paths are great.......until you come into contact with pedestrians. Mums with buggies are the worst, but all people using the normal paths seem to think they have right of way on the cycle paths too and many times i have had to slam on my breaks. The comments and looks I get from these people are horrible, and I'm just trying to raise money for charity. An old man told me last week that people like me are "a menace"

I have never understood why they put cycle lanes onto the paths and not the roads, as there are other obstacles to worry about on paths such as dogs on long leads, cars backing out of driveways and my favourite.....broken glass

--------------------
If I ruled the world.......

+Quote Post
Darren
post Jun 6 2009, 10:15 AM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

I rarely use cycle paths for all the reasons above. I use the roads as my taxation pay for them to be maintained and they tend to be a whole lot safe. Sharing paths with pedestrians is a recipe for conflict. I've been call all sorts of names in the past (some true too) usually followed by an apology when I point ut it is shared and I have right of way in the cycle part.

Like may other cyclists, my ride is set up for travelling at speed on the road and I ride assertively. My brakes are powerful enough to stop me when the need arises and through good observations I can see hazards long before they become one.

Unfortunately there inconsiderate road users on all modes of transport but they are a minority but as with all minorities, they give everyone else a bad name.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:04 PM