Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Newbury Today, Stale news
gel
post Dec 14 2013, 01:45 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 337

Have NWN slashed resources on their on line portal.??

The content is really stale/ out of date news; the opposite of what is expected.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Dec 14 2013, 02:28 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

Posted today, a great piece by Dan Cooper about the fantastic international event that is Parkrun, a weekly 5km run that is free to enter. Newbury's 100th run was today (which I missed because my back's a bit crooked). Newbury's event is run on Greenham Common at 9.00 every Saturday morning (and really, I mean every Saturday, come sun, rain, hail, and snow) and is one of the biggest, attracting a good 300 odd runners every week. Parkrun is amazingly friendly, with a tremendous vibe. You run the same course every week so you race against yourself and try and set personal bests, and everyone is welcome whatever their ability, from complete beginners who will walk/jog to the elite runners. And it's free too, with the whole thing organised by volunteers. I'm very pleased to see it featured in NewburyToday.

Here's a photo from Newbury Parkrun that captures some of that vibe.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Dec 14 2013, 03:57 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (gel @ Dec 14 2013, 03:45 PM) *
The content is really stale/ out of date news; the opposite of what is expected.

That's because they want you to buy the paper rather than read it for free on here.
Much "news" is not posted on the website until after the paper has been distributed on a Thursday.
The exception seems to be "up to the minute" stuff such as traffic issues and reports.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 14 2013, 04:07 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

We don't even seem to have the local stuff that's breaking nationally

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25381316

AWE Nuclear Weapons Police seem to be in a spot of bother

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
newres
post Dec 14 2013, 09:26 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Dec 14 2013, 02:28 PM) *
Posted today, a great piece by Dan Cooper about the fantastic international event that is Parkrun, a weekly 5km run that is free to enter. Newbury's 100th run was today (which I missed because my back's a bit crooked). Newbury's event is run on Greenham Common at 9.00 every Saturday morning (and really, I mean every Saturday, come sun, rain, hail, and snow) and is one of the biggest, attracting a good 300 odd runners every week. Parkrun is amazingly friendly, with a tremendous vibe. You run the same course every week so you race against yourself and try and set personal bests, and everyone is welcome whatever their ability, from complete beginners who will walk/jog to the elite runners. And it's free too, with the whole thing organised by volunteers. I'm very pleased to see it featured in NewburyToday.

Here's a photo from Newbury Parkrun that captures some of that vibe.

However, the article I read uses a picture that isn't of a Parkrun and wasn't taken at Greenham.

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/2013/parkrun...100th-run-today

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Dec 14 2013, 09:33 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (newres @ Dec 14 2013, 09:26 PM) *
However, the article I read uses a picture that isn't of a Parkrun and wasn't taken at Greenham.

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/2013/parkrun...100th-run-today

Yeah, that was a bit naff, but I was more interested in talking about the event so I just posted an appropriate picture.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 15 2013, 09:01 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (gel @ Dec 14 2013, 01:45 PM) *
Have NWN slashed resources on their on line portal.?? The content is really stale/ out of date news; the opposite of what is expected.
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Dec 14 2013, 03:57 PM) *
That's because they want you to buy the paper rather than read it for free on here.

Yeah... bloody freeloaders! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
motormad
post Dec 15 2013, 10:03 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

Despite the fact that online news is really the way to go, reduced cost in print, available to more people at a given time (since we have the internet basically everywhere)....

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Dec 15 2013, 10:52 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (motormad @ Dec 15 2013, 10:03 AM) *
Despite the fact that online news is really the way to go, reduced cost in print, available to more people at a given time (since we have the internet basically everywhere)....

Nice, but how is the business supported without income unless you want to be swamped with adverts.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 15 2013, 10:58 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (motormad @ Dec 15 2013, 10:03 AM) *

That's irrelevant. The website exists because of the printed edition, but I'm sure in time that will change.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Dec 15 2013, 11:09 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Dec 15 2013, 10:52 AM) *
Nice, but how is the business supported without income unless you want to be swamped with adverts.

It's possible to monetize web content: just try to read the Times Online - you need a subscription.

+Quote Post
user23
post Dec 15 2013, 11:18 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 15 2013, 10:58 AM) *
That's irrelevant. The website exists because of the printed edition, but I'm sure in time that will change.
I don't know if this is how our local paper see things, but it's this sort of attitude that has seen the Liverpool Post close after 158 years.

Media organisations who still put print first are fighting against a shift online that they'll never win. What's more, because of the ease of publishing online content, those who latterly decide to focus their activities to online may find that there is already an established hyperlocal or community news source, deemed the most credible medium for local information and they're now second, or third, or fourth best.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 15 2013, 11:55 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Dec 15 2013, 11:18 AM) *
I don't know if this is how our local paper see things, but it's this sort of attitude that has seen the Liverpool Post close after 158 years.

Media organisations who still put print first are fighting against a shift online that they'll never win. What's more, because of the ease of publishing online content, those who latterly decide to focus their activities to online may find that there is already an established hyperlocal or community news source, deemed the most credible medium for local information and they're now second, or third, or fourth best.

It isn't about putting print first. NWN are clearly in a transition phase, but at this point in time, the printed edition is sponsoring the news on this site, and that is my point. Mind you advertising revenues are harder to win and people don't seem to approve of paywalls either; especially as people seem to prefer the gossip and misinfiormation that things like Facebook provide.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Dec 15 2013, 12:50 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Dec 14 2013, 02:28 PM) *
You run the same course every week so you race against yourself and try and set personal bests, and everyone is welcome whatever their ability, from complete beginners who will walk/jog to the elite runners. And it's free too, with the whole thing organised by volunteers.

Agreed that the Parkrun thing is really good and for all abilities. Heck, even I've done it! I raised this as a 'local event' that NWN could cover on here around 18 months ago My Parkrun post so good to see they've eventually got around to giving it some column inches.... Plant a seed and maybe it'll grow.

As for the rest of the local paper or written media, with the explosion in tablet sales and the ease and speed of getting news online from anywhere the printed press has got only a few years before it's defunct...

+Quote Post
user23
post Dec 15 2013, 01:44 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 15 2013, 11:55 AM) *
It isn't about putting print first. NWN are clearly in a transition phase, but at this point in time, the printed edition is sponsoring the news on this site, and that is my point. Mind you advertising revenues are harder to win and people don't seem to approve of paywalls either; especially as people seem to prefer the gossip and misinfiormation that things like Facebook provide.
They way people get their news is in transition, from print and websites designed for desktops, to mobile and tablet friendly portals, apps and social media.

Traditionally, it was only a few that had the money and therefore the power to publish media and it was their view of the world that appeared in print. These institutions are becoming increasingly irrelevant as people get their information direct from organisations and people, rather than via a third party.

Across the country, the writing is probably on the (Facebook) wall for local media outlets that are only now looking at moving away from print; they need a total re-purposing of their function, rather than a new website.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Dec 16 2013, 09:47 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

There is a thread on the "other" forum which says we are wrong and that the news on "Newbury Today" IS up to date.
The problem is with us because we are not refreshing our browsers! ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Dec 16 2013, 03:54 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

Perhaps they are 'refreshing' their browsers too much rolleyes.gif

Some views for a recent post there, but not a squeak to be heard!
Post anything much on here and the power of replies would light a candell.
ce

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Dec 16 2013, 10:55 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (Nothing Much @ Dec 16 2013, 03:54 PM) *
Post anything much on here and the power of replies would light a candell.

candle
Now write that out 300 times by tomorrow morning....

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Dec 17 2013, 10:15 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

"Pumps don't work 'cause the vandals took the candles"

Take it away Bob. 300 minus zero/No limit. smile.gif
ce. I breakfast late. cool.gif

+Quote Post
motormad
post Dec 17 2013, 10:32 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

QUOTE (JeffG @ Dec 15 2013, 11:09 AM) *
It's possible to monetize web content: just try to read the Times Online - you need a subscription.

Exactly

'cept I wouldn't pay f*** all to read Newbury Today online.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:42 AM