> General Election, The awful choice facing the electorate
TallDarkAndHands...
post Feb 12 2010, 01:56 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Feb 12 2010, 01:19 PM) *
I know this may come as an unpleasant surprise, but for once I agree with you. We are faced with a pretty unimpressive collection from which to chose. Together with millions of others, my family was delighted when Blair swept to power in 1997, replacing the deadbeat Major government but gradually our trust was eroded over the years, probably really starting with the illegal invasion of Iraq. Now we also have a tired, discredited bunch asking for another term in power but the main opposion is led by a lacklustre chamelion-like character backed up by a snitchy boy wonder type of shadow chancellor and a shadow health minister who performed absolutely abysmally on the Today prog this morning (anyone else hear him?). Then there's the Lib Dems who, to be fair, did get it right about Iraq and have the only man, Vince Cable, who seems to talk sense about the economy. On the minus side, their leader is unmemorable and their track record when running local councils isn't great. Looks to me like there could be a hung parliament, presumably Dave Cameroon might be thinking that way as well, hence his wooing those Unionist characters in Northern Ireland. Lay a blanket of disdain regarding M.P.s expenses over it all and you have a right mess. I will probably vote, almost certainly, but still wavering about where I will put my X and am sure I'm not alone in being less than enthusiastic about all of them.

Thank you Hugh. And I mean that.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Apr 7 2010, 06:49 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Feb 12 2010, 01:19 PM) *
I know this may come as an unpleasant surprise, but for once I agree with you. We are faced with a pretty unimpressive collection from which to chose. Together with millions of others, my family was delighted when Blair swept to power in 1997, replacing the deadbeat Major government but gradually our trust was eroded over the years, probably really starting with the illegal invasion of Iraq. Now we also have a tired, discredited bunch asking for another term in power but the main opposion is led by a lacklustre chamelion-like character backed up by a snitchy boy wonder type of shadow chancellor and a shadow health minister who performed absolutely abysmally on the Today prog this morning (anyone else hear him?). Then there's the Lib Dems who, to be fair, did get it right about Iraq and have the only man, Vince Cable, who seems to talk sense about the economy. On the minus side, their leader is unmemorable and their track record when running local councils isn't great. Looks to me like there could be a hung parliament, presumably Dave Cameroon might be thinking that way as well, hence his wooing those Unionist characters in Northern Ireland. Lay a blanket of disdain regarding M.P.s expenses over it all and you have a right mess. I will probably vote, almost certainly, but still wavering about where I will put my X and am sure I'm not alone in being less than enthusiastic about all of them.

Made up your mind yet Hugh?

I think many may be going for the protest vote this time - B. Burgess for MP?

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Apr 8 2010, 06:00 AM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 37

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Apr 7 2010, 07:49 PM) *
Made up your mind yet Hugh?

I think many may be going for the protest vote this time - B. Burgess for MP?

Still no obvious choice so far as far as I'm concerned

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Apr 8 2010, 08:00 AM
Post #44

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Apr 8 2010, 07:00 AM) *

Difficult to distinguish between which breed of pig with its snout in the trough!
I'll be joining the protest voters methinks.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Apr 8 2010, 10:10 AM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Apr 8 2010, 09:00 AM) *
Difficult to distinguish between which breed of pig with its snout in the trough!
I'll be joining the protest voters methinks.

I hope that they canvas me as I will be telling them that the events of the last 12 months have left me with zero confidence in any of the three major parties.
None of them represent me or my views of how this Country should be run and I don't even think that they even care very much.
The lies, deceit and corruption still being displayed particularly by the Labour Party is so unpalatable for me that I am considering a "protest " vote.
What a sorry lot they are.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Apr 8 2010, 10:23 AM
Post #46

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Apr 8 2010, 11:10 AM) *
I hope that they canvas me as I will be telling them that the events of the last 12 months have left me with zero confidence in any of the three major parties.
None of them represent me or my views of how this Country should be run and I don't even think that they even care very much.
The lies, deceit and corruption still being displayed particularly by the Labour Party is so unpalatable for me that I am considering a "protest " vote.
What a sorry lot they are.

Got my first Lib Dem pamphlett though the door last night. It made me want to puke.

+Quote Post
diamond41970
post Apr 8 2010, 12:54 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Member No.: 785

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=12950

Just read about the various candidates. I have voted for LibDem since the age of 18 but it seems they will never come to anything as I think sometimes people are afraid of change and stick to Labour or Conservative. I now think though that the public are well and truly peeved off with them and hopefully will now start looking at the other parties. I really can't bear another Labour term especially under a Prime Minister I honestly don't feel should be there with his Scottish roots if he wants to run a country then bugger off back there and do it. BNP are looking good and I may be swayed now to change my vote but I actually don't want to speak to any of them for fear of being locked in the cells for the night for venting my anger at them all.

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Apr 8 2010, 07:09 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Apr 8 2010, 11:23 AM) *
Got my first Lib Dem pamphlett though the door last night. It made me want to puke.

Certainly can't get that &rsed about it - it's only politics and there are so, so, many more interesting things in my life.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Apr 8 2010, 08:01 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

"Certainly can't get that &rsed about it - it's only politics and there are so, so, many more interesting things in my life!"

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Apr 9 2010, 08:19 AM
Post #50

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Apr 8 2010, 09:01 PM) *

"Certainly can't get that &rsed about it - it's only politics and there are so, so, many more interesting things in my life!"

Great rebuff Iommi. Very subtle. laugh.gif

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Apr 9 2010, 08:29 AM
Post #51

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Apr 9 2010, 09:19 AM) *

Quite agree! Now where's the Kings Horse?

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Apr 9 2010, 09:55 AM
Post #52

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Apr 9 2010, 09:19 AM) *

Very touching, I'm sure, but even playing the drama queen card doesn't alter the fact that a large proportion of the electorate, including me, currently find politics a bit of a turn off.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Apr 9 2010, 11:28 AM
Post #53

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Apr 9 2010, 10:55 AM) *
Very touching, I'm sure, but even playing the drama queen card doesn't alter the fact that a large proportion of the electorate, including me, currently find politics a bit of a turn off.

So what turns you 'on' Hugh? wink.gif

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Apr 9 2010, 12:08 PM
Post #54

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Apr 9 2010, 10:55 AM) *

It looks as though history passed you by also. tongue.gif

Emmeline Pankhurst (née Goulden; 15 July 1858 – 14 June 1928) was an English political activist and leader of the British suffragette movement, which helped women win the right to vote.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmeline_Pankhurst

My joke revolves round the idea - imagine what it might be like if people, like Emmeline Pankhurst, ignored and showed disinterest in politics.

The picture you see is of her being released from gaol. She broke the law in her campaign for women's suffrage.

You are entitled to do as you wish. I suspect, however, that you have that privilege because others have campaigned, and indeed, fought to put you, and others, in that position. wink.gif

I feel rather depressed about the current state of politics, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't care. Indeed, it is possibly down to people that don't care, that we find ourselves in this situation. huh.gif

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Apr 9 2010, 02:00 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Apr 9 2010, 01:08 PM) *
It looks as though history passed you by also. tongue.gif

Emmeline Pankhurst (née Goulden; 15 July 1858 – 14 June 1928) was an English political activist and leader of the British suffragette movement, which helped women win the right to vote.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmeline_Pankhurst

My joke revolves round the idea - imagine what it might be like if people, like Emmeline Pankhurst, ignored and showed disinterest in politics.

The picture you see is of her being released from gaol. She broke the law in her campaign for women's suffrage.

You are entitled to do as you wish. I suspect, however, that you have that privilege because others have campaigned, and indeed, fought to put you, and others, in that position. wink.gif

I feel rather depressed about the current state of politics, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't care. Indeed, it is possibly down to people that don't care, that we find ourselves in this situation. huh.gif

You're right, if you don't respect the mainstream parties, and many of us don't, then make a protest vote.
Let them know that you are fed up with corrupt British politics and self serving members of parliment.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Apr 9 2010, 04:14 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Apr 9 2010, 03:00 PM) *
You're right, if you don't respect the mainstream parties, and many of us don't, then make a protest vote.
Let them know that you are fed up with corrupt British politics and self serving members of parliment.

What I don't like is the arrogance of them all. On the Liberal Democrat leaflet it states that any vote apart from a Conservative Vote or a Liberal vote is a wasted vote.

If enough of us vote for other parties perhaps they may get a shock.

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Apr 9 2010, 04:33 PM
Post #57

Guests

Whatever you do just make sure you DO vote.

That way at least you've had your say.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Apr 10 2010, 08:02 AM
Post #58

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Apr 9 2010, 04:14 PM) *
On the Liberal Democrat leaflet it states that any vote apart from a Conservative Vote or a Liberal vote is a wasted vote.

Yes - very arrogant aren't they!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Apr 10 2010, 08:06 AM
Post #59

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Apr 8 2010, 07:00 AM) *

What about UKIP? Unless you are pro European. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
user23
post Apr 10 2010, 08:12 AM
Post #60

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Apr 9 2010, 05:33 PM) *
Whatever you do just make sure you DO vote.

That way at least you've had your say.
True. As far as I know there are five confirmed candidates. Choose the one that best fits your views.

Having said that you still have the option of standing yourself until (I think) the 20th April.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 12:26 AM