Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Comprehensive Spending Review, What it means for West Berkshire
Richard Garvie
post Oct 22 2010, 05:44 PM
Post #101

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,076

One of the local authorities up north is letting all of it's PCSO's go in March due to budget cuts.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Oct 22 2010, 05:45 PM
Post #102

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I'd like to make the point that there is a lot of wastage in the public sector and a lot of people could easily be cut. This doesn't mean that they are wasters, or that they don't work hard. It simply means the job itself is unnecessary, rather than the person.

+Quote Post
user23
post Oct 22 2010, 06:03 PM
Post #103

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Strafin @ Oct 22 2010, 06:45 PM) *
I'd like to make the point that there is a lot of wastage in the public sector and a lot of people could easily be cut. This doesn't mean that they are wasters, or that they don't work hard. It simply means the job itself is unnecessary, rather than the person.
Which types of job are you talking about?

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Oct 22 2010, 08:18 PM
Post #104

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

Luxuries. things like play co-ordinators. Smoking cessation officers. About three tiers of management in the education sector. All these jobs have been advertised by WBC at some time.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Oct 22 2010, 10:39 PM
Post #105

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (DrPepper @ Oct 22 2010, 09:06 AM) *
I call "front line" the actually teachers, the actual coppers on the beat etc not their support staff, afterall you can't retain the support staff if you get rid of the people they are supporting..
Chicken and egg.... If there's no-one in the back office to sort out their pay because they've been given the boot, the front line police officers will do what exactly?

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Oct 22 2010, 03:21 PM) *
I think there may be possibly more PCSO's rather than less. PCSO's don't require the same amount of training, so less cost.

You said it... They don't get the training and they can't do the same job.... Without the powers of arrest they can do no more than a civilian bystander when it comes to helping out an officer on patrol...

They have the power to do.... very little in truth... They're not known as 'Plod Lite' for nothing.... laugh.gif

They have no power of arrest (other than 'citizens arrest' which you or I could make). Limited powers to detain someone (and then it's only for a very short period.) Some forces (not sure whether this includes TVP) don't allow them to conduct house to house enquiries as it should be done by the Crime Investigation team. CCTV cannot be seized by them as they're not Warranted Officers. They cannot pull vehicles over as they have no powers to deal with 'Moving traffic Offences'

ummm. Is that the sort of police force you'd look forward to Jayjay?

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Oct 22 2010, 03:21 PM) *
They do not get paid as much as an officer, therefore another saving.

If you pay peanuts, don't be shocked when a troop of chimps turn up...

HOWEVER............... All that being said, at least they are a visible presence on the street. They patrol areas... ON FOOT no less!!! 'Proper Coppers' go everywhere by panda car and never interact with Joe Public.... need a crowbar to get them out from behind the wheel..... From a distance the scroats don't know who it is walking towards them and they behave (a bit.... sometimes)

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Oct 23 2010, 12:38 AM
Post #106

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

QUOTE (spartacus @ Oct 22 2010, 11:39 PM) *
Chicken and egg.... If there's no-one in the back office to sort out their pay because they've been given the boot, the front line police officers will do what exactly?

You said it... They don't get the training and they can't do the same job.... Without the powers of arrest they can do no more than a civilian bystander when it comes to helping out an officer on patrol...

They have the power to do.... very little in truth... They're not known as 'Plod Lite' for nothing.... laugh.gif

They have no power of arrest (other than 'citizens arrest' which you or I could make). Limited powers to detain someone (and then it's only for a very short period.) Some forces (not sure whether this includes TVP) don't allow them to conduct house to house enquiries as it should be done by the Crime Investigation team. CCTV cannot be seized by them as they're not Warranted Officers. They cannot pull vehicles over as they have no powers to deal with 'Moving traffic Offences'

ummm. Is that the sort of police force you'd look forward to Jayjay?

Not at all, quite the opposite in fact. Being old enough to have lived through a few recessions and living in the north during the Thatcher years, in my experience theft crime increases during a recession. I have a suspicion we are seeing the beginnings of this in Newbury already. Therefore I think an increased police force is necessary. I was pointing out that due to finances we could end up with more PCSO's and less officers. Although I note from a previous post that one force is getting rid of all their PCSO's so there is some hope.

+Quote Post
user23
post Oct 23 2010, 07:03 AM
Post #107

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Oct 22 2010, 09:18 PM) *
Luxuries. things like play co-ordinators. Smoking cessation officers. About three tiers of management in the education sector. All these jobs have been advertised by WBC at some time.
Do they exist any more, following the cuts over the past few years though?

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Oct 23 2010, 11:19 AM
Post #108

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

I suppose one example of a luxury is our free Library service. The staff are dedicated and very busy. The Library does a very good job. However, why does it have to be free? After all, TV isn't free - we all pay a licence fee. Use of sports facilities isn't free either. So what's wrong with an annual subscription? Or pay as you go internet access? Arguably, with some keen pricing, no reason why the Library service couldn't be a profit rather than a cost centre. That really would be 'thinking the unthinkable'!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Oct 23 2010, 12:37 PM
Post #109

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,076

The cost of Library services in West Berks is just short of two million when added up together. I don't have the detail on what that is spent on, maybe it is all genuine costs. Then again, do we need £35k events budget for the library? There are a lot of savings that could be made without affecting front line services, the problem is it's almost impossible to see how much without having detailed figures to work with. Apparently the other parties haven't requested the information, so why should we need it? Maybe if they did show some interest, we would have a leaner meaner council with front line services protected and waste identified.

It would be easy to pick on the public sector workers after reading all of the horror stories over the years. But User23 is right in saying a lot of these jobs have now gone.

+Quote Post
user23
post Oct 23 2010, 01:03 PM
Post #110

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Oct 23 2010, 01:37 PM) *
The cost of Library services in West Berks is just short of two million when added up together. I don't have the detail on what that is spent on, maybe it is all genuine costs. Then again, do we need £35k events budget for the library? There are a lot of savings that could be made without affecting front line services, the problem is it's almost impossible to see how much without having detailed figures to work with. Apparently the other parties haven't requested the information, so why should we need it? Maybe if they did show some interest, we would have a leaner meaner council with front line services protected and waste identified.

It would be easy to pick on the public sector workers after reading all of the horror stories over the years. But User23 is right in saying a lot of these jobs have now gone.
Aren't library events a front line service?

I would have thought getting children interested in reading would be of benefit to everyone.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Oct 23 2010, 01:18 PM
Post #111

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Oct 23 2010, 02:03 PM) *
Aren't library events a front line service?

I would have thought getting children interested in reading would be of benefit to everyone.

Library is a front line service but so is the Swimmin Pool - why should we pay 'on the gate' for one and not the other?

Wholly agree about kids and reading - suspect that's what they do in Schools! Also, being rather aged, I can just remember my Aunt developing the reading habit in me....at Boots Circulating Library in Guildford.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Oct 23 2010, 01:35 PM
Post #112

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

I think it would be a very sad state of affairs if we couldn't afford free public libraries (though I don't see why they get involved in DVDs). It just feels wrong to even think about charging for the service, almost like we're talking about book burning.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Oct 23 2010, 03:13 PM
Post #113

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Oct 23 2010, 02:35 PM) *
I think it would be a very sad state of affairs if we couldn't afford free public libraries (though I don't see why they get involved in DVDs). It just feels wrong to even think about charging for the service, almost like we're talking about book burning.

What's the difference between a DVD and a modern fiction book? Asking for payment isn't the same as removing the books; and lets face it, change is always with us. If we could never change useful services still have Council run isolation hospitals for scarlet fever and ARP wardens. Imagine a Library run as a Trust - rather like the Greenham Common Trust. The service, albeit good now, might actually be even better. As a previous contributor said today its all cost - some of which really can't be justified. The event last weekend must have taken a lot of effort to organise but to what end?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:31 AM