Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Comprehensive Spending Review, What it means for West Berkshire
Richard Garvie
post Oct 20 2010, 02:12 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,076

There is really big concern throughout West Berkshire as to the full extent of these cuts. Although George Osborne was very scarce on detail today, we do know that West Berkshire will face a 7.1% cut to it's funding. Nick Carter has previously stated that 150 jobs will go, but refuses to say where. Does this now mean that further jobs will go at West Berkshire District Council, and if it does, where will those posts come from? I believe all employees at West Berkshire have a right to know whether they are to lose their jobs.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Oct 20 2010, 02:18 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Oct 20 2010, 03:12 PM) *
There is really big concern throughout West Berkshire as to the full extent of these cuts. Although George Osborne was very scarce on detail today, we do know that West Berkshire will face a 7.1% cut to it's funding. Nick Carter has previously stated that 150 jobs will go, but refuses to say where. Does this now mean that further jobs will go at West Berkshire District Council, and if it does, where will those posts come from? I believe all employees at West Berkshire have a right to know whether they are to lose their jobs.

Why start another thread on the spending review? People in the Private Sector don't have a right to know straight away when they are going to lose their jobs at a time like this. Their is normally a period of consultancy before any such redundancies are made in any case whether it be in the Private or Public sector so the people concerned (if any) will be given this information. Are you trying to score cheap political points?

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Oct 20 2010, 02:20 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Oct 20 2010, 03:12 PM) *

Im sure that once Nick Carter has an opportunity to digest exactly what the 7.1% cut in funding means then he will address the employees accordingly. However he only found out the extent of the cuts today the same as you and I.

I hope that he has the nerve to take a top down analysis of what individuals are actually doing in the Council including Managers and ensure that everyone who is vital to the challenge of going forward will retain their positions and take over the responsibilities of any employees who are not fully employed.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Oct 20 2010, 02:33 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Actually, NICK CARTER replied to a BBC survey earlier this year saying that he planned to cut 150 jobs... Do those people know who they are yet??? NOPE!!! I think it's time for people to have the dignity of being able to get on with their job without looking over their shoulder, and if these new cuts mean more job losses, let's get on with the consultation process rather than leaving people in the dark.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Oct 20 2010, 02:41 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Oct 20 2010, 03:33 PM) *
Actually, NICK CARTER replied to a BBC survey earlier this year saying that he planned to cut 150 jobs... Do those people know who they are yet??? NOPE!!! I think it's time for people to have the dignity of being able to get on with their job without looking over their shoulder, and if these new cuts mean more job losses, let's get on with the consultation process rather than leaving people in the dark.

How do yo know that the consultancy process isn't already in motion?
Some people may already have been notified that their jobs are at risk.
This redundnacy process is the same in both the private and public sector and I believe that if taking some time to ensure that only the minmum number of staff get made redundant then it will be worth the wait. For some at any rate.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Oct 20 2010, 02:44 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

There has been some talks between Nick and the unions, but my concern is that we have people in the care departments (front line carers) worrying about whether they wil get redundancy pay, when West Berks are still recruiting additional staff. How can they tell one department that staff are under threat, yet still recruit additional staff for that department??? In the private sector, that is borderline illegal.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Oct 20 2010, 02:45 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

Why are you sticking up for Public Sector workers when no-one stuck up for the Private sector workers? Is it the case that the Public Sector is heavily Unionised and the Unions pay for the Labour party? I am sure that any period of Consultancy will be started at a point in time when the Council's leaders are able to make decisions based on fact rather than 'what might happen'. If 150 jobs were to go how many of these could also be found through Natural wastage (people leaving through retirement and finding other jobs) where their jobs are not replaced? I think you are jumping the gun on this. Leave it to the people who make the decisions and if you feel they have done wrong criticise them afterwards and not before....

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Oct 20 2010, 02:54 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Oct 20 2010, 03:44 PM) *
There has been some talks between Nick and the unions, but my concern is that we have people in the care departments (front line carers) worrying about whether they wil get redundancy pay, when West Berks are still recruiting additional staff.

What!!! Of course they will get redundancy payments. It's law.
How can they tell one department that staff are under threat, yet still recruit additional staff for that department??? In the private sector, that is borderline illegal.

I'm sure the Union would not allow that to happen unless there is a valid and concrete reason.
I think you are exagerating a little.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
user23
post Oct 20 2010, 04:56 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Oct 20 2010, 03:45 PM) *
Why are you sticking up for Public Sector workers when no-one stuck up for the Private sector workers?
Of course they did, BA and BT threatening to go on strike (the latter getting a hefty pay rise as a result) are two that spring to mind instantly.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Oct 20 2010, 05:22 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Until we know the full detail, it wouldn't be wise to make comment on the bits we don't know about. 7.1% cuts to local authority budgets is an average figure, hopefully it will be nearer the 4% West Berks were expecting already. My point with regards to West Berks Council is that why would you create fear within your workforce (public or private sector) and not have the decency to tell them what is going on. Ask any of the West Berks carers what is going on with their jobs. I've spoken to them first hand, and what they don't understand is why their jobs are on the block, yet the council continue to recruit for their departments. I'm sure the line from the chief executive was along the lines of "we expect to make 150 people redundant within the next year, but we haven't made a final decision". It's all online if you bother to search for it. So don't say I'm making it up, or that I'm sticking up for the unions. I'm sticking up for the carers, the primry school teachers and the street cleaners who seem to have been forgotten in this process, whilst the Government are letting the rich away with very little pain. Already Sky are reporting that the poorest 10% in this country are the hardest hit. They were reporting that almost straight away. Behind the positive spin, there is a lot of pain in this announcement today and I would reserve judgement before you support it.

I'm speaking for myself on this thread, not the Labour Party in Westminster. Labour will support some of these decisions, but as the opposition they must highlight the decisions that they feel are not fair or just, and there seems to be quite a few of those suspect decisions. We will know tomorrow what the effect is on the Central Goverment grant to West Berks, but if there needs to be tough decisions, the council owe it to their staff to be honest with them. The same applies in the private sector, but we're not discussing the private sector in this thread are we??? If we were talking about the private sector, we could talk about the hundreds of thousands of employees who stand to lose their job as a knock on effect of these decisions (construction workers etc.).

+Quote Post
user23
post Oct 20 2010, 06:29 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Oct 20 2010, 06:22 PM) *
Until we know the full detail, it wouldn't be wise to make comment on the bits we don't know about.
This whole thread is full of comments on bits you don't know about. Now this is fine, there's nothing wrong with a bit of speculation unless you've said it isn't wise, which you have.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Oct 20 2010, 06:55 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

We know that the local government grants have, on average, been cut 7.1%. My point being, West Berks prepared for cuts of 4%. Do we now expect more job losses?

+Quote Post
user23
post Oct 20 2010, 06:59 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Oct 20 2010, 07:55 PM) *
We know that the local government grants have, on average, been cut 7.1%. My point being, West Berks prepared for cuts of 4%. Do we now expect more job losses?
Apparently it wouldn't be wise to make comments on the bits we don't know about.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Oct 20 2010, 07:11 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

I'm sure we can answer it tomorrow then!!!

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Oct 20 2010, 11:00 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

Only 150 jobs going? There must be another 150 celebrating that they get to stay on the gravy train then.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Oct 21 2010, 07:06 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

It obviously depends where these jobs will go. It's easy to attack the public sector during these threads, but what if it's 150 frontline staff going with 150 middle managers being kept? Until we know the detail, how can we say it's right or wrong? My concern is that there is now a fear culture at West Berks with people looking over their shoulder whilst they work.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Oct 21 2010, 07:40 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Oct 21 2010, 08:06 AM) *
It obviously depends where these jobs will go. It's easy to attack the public sector during these threads, but what if it's 150 frontline staff going with 150 middle managers being kept? Until we know the detail, how can we say it's right or wrong? My concern is that there is now a fear culture at West Berks with people looking over their shoulder whilst they work.

"fear culture in West Berks" A little dramatic don't you think. My understanding is that those working in the public sector understand the need for these measures but want to see a fair and measured response in that those who are shuffling paper and not fully employed are asked to leave first.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Oct 21 2010, 10:22 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

Actually, NICK CARTER replied to a BBC survey earlier this year saying that he planned to cut 150 jobs... Do those people know who they are yet??? NOPE!!!

They probably never had a job in the first place - staff turnover at WBC is such that they can cut 150 jobs pretty quickly without making anyone redundant - by 'natural wastage'.

Local councils must be breathing a sigh of relief today - surely 7.1% is less than they were anticipating.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Oct 21 2010, 10:24 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Dramatic isn't the word I would use. I just think that those who have positions that are under review should know, and those who are safe should be told. Morale is quite low at the minute, and I think if there was more certainty, morale would be able to improve a bit. I would say uncertainty over jobs = fears for their future.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Oct 21 2010, 10:36 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Oct 21 2010, 11:24 AM) *
Dramatic isn't the word I would use. I just think that those who have positions that are under review should know, and those who are safe should be told.

And I'm sure they will when the effects of the cuts have been looked at and firm decisions made as to how to move forward with the minimum loss of services and staff.
Morale is quite low at the minute, and I think if there was more certainty, morale would be able to improve a bit. I would say uncertainty over jobs = fears for their future.

You are right, morale is low but it's more about those that are actually doing the tough frontline jobs being managed by those who they think are not up to the job and actually make there jobs more difficult. As I said before, I hope that there is a real top down review of who is doing what and why.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:52 PM