> CoronaVirus, Nature will find a way
Turin Machine
post May 28 2020, 08:49 AM
Post #541

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,104

QUOTE (newres @ May 28 2020, 08:09 AM) *
I actually worked in Bray. I should have said that. Apologies.

Bus. It's what? Three miles?

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
James_Trinder
post May 28 2020, 09:30 AM
Post #542

Advanced Member

Member No.: 48

QUOTE (Biker1 @ May 28 2020, 08:18 AM) *
Well you get on a train at Newbury Railway Station and get off at Maidenhead Railway Station. Although, horror of horrors, you usually have to change trains at Reading! Very unrealistic?

A better example is my normal commute to Weston. There are no buses returning to Newbury after 15:39, which is obviously no good for a typical full-time working day. Even if you wanted to go in early and work flexibly you couldn't get there until 09:21.

https://images.reading-buses.co.uk/download...timetable_0.pdf

+Quote Post
Mr Brown
post May 28 2020, 01:16 PM
Post #543

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,072

QUOTE (James_Trinder @ May 28 2020, 10:30 AM) *
A better example is my normal commute to Weston. There are no buses returning to Newbury after 15:39, which is obviously no good for a typical full-time working day. Even if you wanted to go in early and work flexibly you couldn't get there until 09:21.

https://images.reading-buses.co.uk/download...timetable_0.pdf

Several points. First one, is there any reason why your firm actually needs to be located in Weston ? Would it be possible for you to relocate ? The Green Party would advocate these options which ought to eliminate any need for staff transport. Then, are all the processes such that even with collaboration technology staff can't work from home? This has to come from the top, and even I was pleasantly surprised when our, apparently atypical sleepy management went for it wholeheartedly! So there's hope for you yet.

+Quote Post
James_Trinder
post May 28 2020, 05:30 PM
Post #544

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Mr Brown @ May 28 2020, 02:16 PM) *
Several points. First one, is there any reason why your firm actually needs to be located in Weston ? Would it be possible for you to relocate ? The Green Party would advocate these options which ought to eliminate any need for staff transport. Then, are all the processes such that even with collaboration technology staff can't work from home? This has to come from the top, and even I was pleasantly surprised when our, apparently atypical sleepy management went for it wholeheartedly! So there's hope for you yet.

Answers to your questions:

1. We don't need to be located in Weston but it provides affordable office accommodation of the right size.
2. It would be possible for us to relocate. A predecessor company was based in Newbury town centre.
3. Some staff are unable to work from home because they work with paper questionnaires. All other staff could work from home without any issues. However, these paper questionnaires may become obsolete in the future and then everybody could work from home at all times.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post May 28 2020, 07:35 PM
Post #545

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

QUOTE (James_Trinder @ May 28 2020, 06:30 PM) *

1. We don't need to be located in Weston but it provides affordable office accommodation of the right size.
2. It would be possible for us to relocate. A predecessor company was based in Newbury town centre.
3. Some staff are unable to work from home because they work with paper questionnaires. All other staff could work from home without any issues. However, these paper questionnaires may become obsolete in the future and then everybody could work from home at all times.

But, if those that could work from home did so then the office could be smaller, cost savings. Move to hasten the end of the paper, then you could close the office entirely. More efficient, less stress, less pollution, what's not to like?

+Quote Post
James_Trinder
post May 28 2020, 07:48 PM
Post #546

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ May 28 2020, 08:35 PM) *
But, if those that could work from home did so then the office could be smaller, cost savings. Move to hasten the end of the paper, then you could close the office entirely. More efficient, less stress, less pollution, what's not to like?

No arguments from me.

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post May 28 2020, 08:03 PM
Post #547

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

QUOTE (James_Trinder @ May 28 2020, 06:30 PM) *

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ May 28 2020, 08:35 PM) *

And in addition town centre office space is likely to become much cheaper!

+Quote Post
newres
post May 29 2020, 12:35 PM
Post #548

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ May 28 2020, 09:49 AM) *
Bus. It's what? Three miles?

Add the walk to Newbury train station, the walk from Bray High Street to Monkey Island..... Well I wouldn’t choose to commute that way. I’d drive. It’s really the most practical solution. Ofcourse you might be different.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post May 29 2020, 06:09 PM
Post #549

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (newres @ May 29 2020, 01:35 PM) *
Add the walk to Newbury train station, the walk from Bray High Street to Monkey Island..... Well I wouldn’t choose to commute that way. I’d drive. It’s really the most practical solution. Ofcourse you might be different.

When I do go into the office in Maidenhead or London I get the train. But then my office is 5 mins walk from the station.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post May 29 2020, 06:13 PM
Post #550

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ May 29 2020, 07:09 PM) *
When I do go into the office in Maidenhead or London I get the train. But then my office is 5 mins walk from the station.

We have had our return work instructions and anyone who normally commutes on public transport is to continue WFH. We are all getting issued with PPE and professional cleaners are on site all day. All doors have been removed and temperature checks will be made on everyone entering the building. No hot desking is allowed and meetings can have no more than 4 people present. Lots of other things as well...

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post May 29 2020, 09:13 PM
Post #551

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ May 29 2020, 01:35 PM) *

"Newres, when you're done with that, the toilets blocked in room 206, sort it will you."

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post May 29 2020, 10:10 PM
Post #552

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ May 29 2020, 10:13 PM) *
"Newres, when you're done with that, the toilets blocked in room 206, sort it will you."

Essential worker...should be on 80k a year.

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post May 30 2020, 08:59 AM
Post #553

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,341

So decided to do my outside hour in the sun allocation queuing at Tesco, London rd. yesterday and for the benefit of those unfamiliar with the layout the "snake" circumnavigates round a covered trolley bay that in turn has a metal handrail. 70% of the great unwashed used said rail to support their obviously frail bodies, which allowed me to the back of a fag packet calculation that if one person per day is infectious and has touched it then over the next 48 hours, (active effectiveness of C 19), it is safe to assume that at a rate of 50 customers an hour , (simple hypothesis), then 2 or 3 hundred people are putting themselves at risk. Now my understanding is that west berkshire has a low infection rate and therefore only one per week may inadvertently carry the virus but it does highlight that people are dying because of basic stupidity and that frightens me more that the bloody virus.
Yes Tesco do have a hand sanitiser dispenser at the door but the damage has been done.

--------------------
Si non prius succederent.......... relinquere

+Quote Post
James_Trinder
post May 30 2020, 12:36 PM
Post #554

Advanced Member

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ May 30 2020, 09:59 AM) *
So decided to do my outside hour in the sun allocation queuing at Tesco, London rd. yesterday and for the benefit of those unfamiliar with the layout the "snake" circumnavigates round a covered trolley bay that in turn has a metal handrail. 70% of the great unwashed used said rail to support their obviously frail bodies, which allowed me to the back of a fag packet calculation that if one person per day is infectious and has touched it then over the next 48 hours, (active effectiveness of C 19), it is safe to assume that at a rate of 50 customers an hour , (simple hypothesis), then 2 or 3 hundred people are putting themselves at risk. Now my understanding is that west berkshire has a low infection rate and therefore only one per week may inadvertently carry the virus but it does highlight that people are dying because of basic stupidity and that frightens me more that the bloody virus.
Yes Tesco do have a hand sanitiser dispenser at the door but the damage has been done.

I would strongly recommend that you go shopping between 20:00 and 22:00 Monday to Saaturday. There aren't any queues at all then. Granted there are some items that are sold out by then but the vast majority of products are still available at that time of the day.

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post May 31 2020, 06:58 PM
Post #555

Advanced Member

QUOTE (James_Trinder @ May 30 2020, 01:36 PM) *
I would strongly recommend that you go shopping between 20:00 and 22:00 Monday to Saaturday. There aren't any queues at all then. Granted there are some items that are sold out by then but the vast majority of products are still available at that time of the day.

At last a piece of useful advice........Have you considered sitting on the SAGE committee? No one will listen to you but at least you will get a gong and a fat pension. May see you, or someone like you, at my next jolly to the food bank.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post May 31 2020, 07:51 PM
Post #556

Advanced Member

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ May 31 2020, 07:58 PM) *
At last a piece of useful advice........Have you considered sitting on the SAGE committee? No one will listen to you but at least you will get a gong and a fat pension. May see you, or someone like you, at my next jolly to the food bank.

Still could be worse. You could be s small business owner in Minnesota.

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post May 31 2020, 08:35 PM
Post #557

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ May 31 2020, 08:51 PM) *

When one has finished hurling abuse and metaphorical bricks at the toe curling presentations of Boris the Buffoon and his sycophantic followers on the media, a cursory glance at "our" ally across the pond fills me with an unbridled desire to sacrifice 4 virgins and a liberal democrat on the ,main entrance to the palace of westminster. What in the name of all that is sane are they thinking of? Reminds me of
Erasmus of Rotterdam and his kingdom of the blind quotation but in America's case even the guide dog has suspect eyesight.

--------------------

+Quote Post
James_Trinder
post Jun 1 2020, 06:10 AM
Post #558

Advanced Member

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ May 31 2020, 07:58 PM) *

Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as patronising. It's just worked well as a technique for me, that's all.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Jun 1 2020, 08:52 AM
Post #559

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ May 31 2020, 08:51 PM) *

As Dr King said - "A riot is the language of the unheard".

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Jun 1 2020, 12:09 PM
Post #560

Advanced Member

QUOTE (James_Trinder @ Jun 1 2020, 07:10 AM) *
Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as patronising. It's just worked well as a technique for me, that's all.

I equally apologise if my remark seemed in any way sarcastic. A simple piece of helpful advice as to when supermarkets are less crowded is worth a great deal more than the woolly rhetoric administered by those government spokespersons .The reference to the scientific advisory group was a sideways swipe at how ineffectual it has become as it is increasingly obvious that the government is now on a political road and not a scientific one with a second wave of infection more than less likely. The trade off is getting the economy moving and I understand the importance of that but had they introduced the lockdown earlier and with less loopholes so no one was under any illusion we would have (probably) been on top of it a month ago.

--------------------

+Quote Post

35 Pages V  « < 26 27 28 29 30 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:50 PM