IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rent prices going up in the Kennet centre.
GMR
post Aug 8 2012, 05:00 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 33

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Aug 8 2012, 05:58 PM) *
It would be easier if you told us who is leaving - that way, when they do leave you'll be proved right & I'll appologise.

I don't think that is the point; the point - as I've been told - is that companies are leaving because of rent rises, or have left. We can always see if or when somebody leaves and see what the press statement is for them leaving.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 8 2012, 05:01 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

QUOTE (James_Trinder @ Aug 8 2012, 12:59 PM) *
The main guy running the Sky stand was patronising towards me on one occasion and didn't really do anything but provide information that you could find out for yourself from the Internet or other sources with relative ease.

Poundland is doing well because they sell things that people actually need at £1 or less per item.

It makes perfect sense to me why one survived and the other didn't.

I agree.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 8 2012, 05:03 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Aug 7 2012, 10:59 PM) *
Or any other 'word on the street' comment.

Sometimes "words from the street" can be interesting. As there isn't much going on on this forum something can be better than nothing.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 8 2012, 05:29 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 8 2012, 06:00 PM) *
I don't think that is the point; the point - as I've been told - is that companies are leaving because of rent rises, or have left. We can always see if or when somebody leaves and see what the press statement is for them leaving.

Sorry GMR - I don't believe you had any conversation. You can't back it up.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 8 2012, 07:42 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Aug 8 2012, 06:29 PM) *

You don't have to apologise. wink.gif

Whether you believe me or not that is your problem. Besides; why would I want to make it up when it can be easily varified?

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Aug 8 2012, 07:46 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Aug 8 2012, 06:29 PM) *

In the same vein, I think it is true as you are unable to disprove it.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 8 2012, 07:50 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Aug 8 2012, 08:46 PM) *
In the same vein, I think it is true as you are unable to disprove it.

It can't be proved either way as GMR can't back up his initial statement.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 8 2012, 07:51 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 8 2012, 08:42 PM) *
when it can be easily varified?

Hows that then?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 8 2012, 08:40 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Aug 8 2012, 08:51 PM) *
Hows that then?

How do you think? The same way as I found out.

+Quote Post
Newbelly
post Aug 8 2012, 08:50 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,669

I have no inside knowledge whatsoever about KC, but I do know that shop unit rents are sometimes increased in poor trading times, no matter how unfair or silly that may seem.

The rent situation in respect of a commercial premises can be very different to that of a simple landlord and household tenant situation, where only 2 parties may be involved and the tax situation simple.

Again, no knowledge of GMR or his informant, but the situation does not strike me as that strange.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 8 2012, 08:56 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 8 2012, 09:40 PM) *
How do you think? The same way as I found out.

I have no idea, that's why I'm asking.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 8 2012, 09:00 PM
Post #52

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Newbelly @ Aug 8 2012, 09:50 PM) *
Again, no knowledge of GMR or his informant, but the situation does not strike me as that strange.

Nor me as it happens. Rents go up all the time.

What I do have a problem with is this idea that shops are about to close......

As usual GMR can't actually back up his statement other than to say 'find out for yourself'

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 8 2012, 10:00 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Aug 8 2012, 10:00 PM) *
Nor me as it happens. Rents go up all the time.

What I do have a problem with is this idea that shops are about to close......

As usual GMR can't actually back up his statement other than to say 'find out for yourself'

What sort of back up statement can I give; I was told this my a manager at the Kennet Centre. You say you don't believe me then check it out yourself. What sort of proof do you want; a written statement? When I was told that information I took it on face value; I had no reason to doubt a manager of one of the stores within the Kennet Centre. I think you are just being big headed and stupid... and probably bored. What you need to do is get yourself a life rather than haunting these forums with stupid questions.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 8 2012, 10:05 PM
Post #54

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 8 2012, 11:00 PM) *
What sort of back up statement can I give; I was told this my a manager at the Kennet Centre. You say you don't believe me then check it out yourself. What sort of proof do you want; a written statement? When I was told that information I took it on face value; I had no reason to doubt a manager of one of the stores within the Kennet Centre. I think you are just being big headed and stupid... and probably bored. What you need to do is get yourself a life rather than haunting these forums with stupid questions.

Look, any one can say something along the lines of

'I heard that a few shops are about to shut on Northbrook street. Rent rises are the cause'

Why should anyone take it as anything but gossip & rumour?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 8 2012, 10:05 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 8 2012, 11:00 PM) *

GMR, just for clarity, did this person say his shop was closing down because of the rent increase? Or did he say he was thinking about closing because of the rent increase?

+Quote Post
HeatherW
post Aug 8 2012, 10:28 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

Member No.: 988

You lot are very cynical on here. I read this the other day and decided to check with my boyfriend’s sister, she works as a manager in one of the shops in the Kennet Centre. The rent is going up and there is unsettlement with the owners of the companies there because they feel they are being squeezed at a time of austerity. She told me that one or two stores are thinking of finding cheaper accommodations or even moving out of the area. With the price of parking and not a lot of money circulating it is not very economical staying in the Kennet Centre. Most shops, if possible, would rather go to some place like the Retail Park. My boyfriends sister has been looking for another job, but that is not that easy under the current situation.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 8 2012, 10:46 PM
Post #57

Advanced Member

QUOTE (HeatherW @ Aug 8 2012, 11:28 PM) *
You lot are very cynical on here. I read this the other day and decided to check with my boyfriend’s sister, she works as a manager in one of the shops in the Kennet Centre. The rent is going up and there is unsettlement with the owners of the companies there because they feel they are being squeezed at a time of austerity. She told me that one or two stores are thinking of finding cheaper accommodations or even moving out of the area. With the price of parking and not a lot of money circulating it is not very economical staying in the Kennet Centre. Most shops, if possible, would rather go to some place like the Retail Park. My boyfriends sister has been looking for another job, but that is not that easy under the current situation.

Cynical - With GMR you have to be. Shame he couldn't have been more forthcoming with extra info instead of his usual messing around.

Thank you Heather W for your extra input on the matter.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 8 2012, 10:54 PM
Post #58

Advanced Member

HeatherW's post was more forthcoming, but there is no mention of companies leaving, although I'd imagine many shops will 'talk' of leaving every time the rents go up.

Rising costs are regrettable, but this is a common strategy. Although counter intuitive, banks do it all the time: make it more expensive at a time when money is tight. I would imagine the logic is that the ones that can afford it will offset those business that are at a significant risk of collapse regardless of the rent increase.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 8 2012, 10:57 PM
Post #59

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Aug 8 2012, 11:54 PM) *
HeatherW's post was more forthcoming, but there is no mention of companies leaving, although I'd imagine many shops will 'talk' of leaving every time the rents go up.

Rising costs are regrettable, but this is a common strategy. Although counter intuitive, banks do it all the time: make it more expensive at a time when money is tight. I would imagine the logic is that the ones that can afford it will offset those business that are at a significant risk of collapse regardless of the rent increase.

HW's post was more what I'd expect - GMRs was more sensational with talk of shops actually gone & going.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 8 2012, 11:02 PM
Post #60

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Aug 8 2012, 11:57 PM) *
HW's post was more what I'd expect - GMRs was more sensational with talk of shops actually gone & going.

I suppose, depending on the time frame, it will be inevitable that shops will go. I wonder if there is any connection with the rent increase and the 'cinema subsidy'?

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:39 PM