> Who owns West Berkshire?, 30 Landowners account for some 44%
SirWilliam
post Oct 5 2018, 06:18 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,341

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Oct 5 2018, 06:48 PM) *
More fool you. I have a 5 year stock of bottled water, tinned food, essential medical supplies and a stockplie of weapons. You aint gwtting none of it come brexit day. 👍

What happens when your 5 years are up? cool.gif Maybe Tesco will have reopened . On a positive note at least you will no longer have to try and convince those who can not see the folly of their ways.

--------------------
Si non prius succederent.......... relinquere
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Oct 5 2018, 06:21 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Oct 5 2018, 07:18 PM) *
What happens when your 5 years are up? cool.gif Maybe Tesco will have reopened . On a positive note at least you will no longer have to try and convince those who can not see the folly of their ways.

According to the remoaners most people will be dead after 5 years and I will inherit west berkshire.👍😂

+Quote Post
newres
post Oct 5 2018, 06:24 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Oct 5 2018, 07:21 PM) *
According to the remoaners most people will be dead after 5 years and I will inherit west berkshire.👍😂

At least you won’t run out of gammon. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Oct 5 2018, 06:30 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ Oct 5 2018, 07:24 PM) *
At least you won’t run out of gammon. laugh.gif

Gammon is much nicer than sour grapes.👍😂

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Oct 5 2018, 07:48 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

Newres, no thanks.
Strafin, no chance.

When being offered an alternative view done with professional reporting.

Oh the irony of accusing me of only going to one source for "news".

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Oct 5 2018, 07:50 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Oct 4 2018, 07:09 PM) *
I have a close friend in RSA who owns a reasonably successful vineyard which has been targetted and his family were attacked twice. His neighbour is one of the farms on the forced expropriation without compensation list. The neighbour has been hospitalised twice with gunshot wounds. Long serving farm hands who came to his aid and tried to prevent the farm being burnt to the ground and all the tractors and equipment stolen were badly beaten and two killed.

He is closing the vineyard this December and leaving. He can't even sell as nobody wants to buy sonething that may be taken anyway. 20 years of investment and hard work just gone.

Anyway. Thread diversion. I think the OP wanted to have a moan about the toffs and landed gentry and Benyon in particular...

Thank you for that personal view. As you say, it is real and very very sad.

--------------------

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Oct 6 2018, 01:52 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (newres @ Oct 5 2018, 08:59 AM) *
Given the fact that white people invaded, stole the land, then subjugated and enslaved the indigenous population, it doesn’t seem unreasonable to take the land back. As long as it isn’t violently (unless necessary) and whatever the consequences for production. It se m ironic that rabid Brexiteers would not see this. You couldn’t make it up.
...except the 'enslaved and subjugated' bit wasn't entirely a white preserve. The Bantu tribes were invading, slaughtering and enslaving the Hottentots, Khoi & San people (bushmen) for centuries before the European settlers turned up.

The Voortrekkers (Dutch settlers) were generally pretty religious and along with British missionaries gave aid and medicine to local tribes people while they got down to converting the heathen rather than killing them.and converting the virgin bush to fertile farmland

The pattern for the nomadic tribes on the other hand was that they were constantly warring with each other, raiding for cattle & slaves. Around each tribal village there would be a network of small gardens where basic grain & vegetables were grown, but after a number of years most villages would have exhausted the game in the area and taken all the goodness from the soil in the gardens, polluted water souces and would be forced to find & move to another site. That was the pattern of Sub Saharan African life for millennia.

Certain tribes like the Zulu in SA, the Matabele in S. Rhodesia & the Lozi in N. Rhodesia, under strong leadership, became dominant in their areas and ruled huge areas of land extracting tribute from other tribes in exchange for not attacking/killing/enslaving them, if they were lucky.

The population density was minute so vast areas of land appeared to be uninhabited. Often local chiefs would sell/give permission for Europeans to settle land in exchange for trinkets such as cloth, beads, steel knives & occasionally old muskets. This was scrubland and virgin bush that was changed to fertile land over time by a combination of crop rotation, fertilisation, irrigation and hard work.

A century or more later these areas of fertile farms and vineyards are now being viewed with jealous eyes. Is there a need to take these farms back by force? There's plenty of scrubland and virgin bush left which could instead be converted just like these farms were. Two problems with that line of thought are that those huge swathes of unused and undeveloped land are owned by the ANC and that it would involve hard graft. It's easier to nick what's already working to wipe your **** with it.

+Quote Post
newres
post Oct 6 2018, 04:05 AM
Post #28

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Oct 6 2018, 02:52 AM) *
...except the 'enslaved and subjugated' bit wasn't entirely a white preserve. The Bantu tribes were invading, slaughtering and enslaving the Hottentots, Khoi & San people (bushmen) for centuries before the European settlers turned up.

The Voortrekkers (Dutch settlers) were generally pretty religious and along with British missionaries gave aid and medicine to local tribes people while they got down to converting the heathen rather than killing them.and converting the virgin bush to fertile farmland

The pattern for the nomadic tribes on the other hand was that they were constantly warring with each other, raiding for cattle & slaves. Around each tribal village there would be a network of small gardens where basic grain & vegetables were grown, but after a number of years most villages would have exhausted the game in the area and taken all the goodness from the soil in the gardens, polluted water souces and would be forced to find & move to another site. That was the pattern of Sub Saharan African life for millennia.

Certain tribes like the Zulu in SA, the Matabele in S. Rhodesia & the Lozi in N. Rhodesia, under strong leadership, became dominant in their areas and ruled huge areas of land extracting tribute from other tribes in exchange for not attacking/killing/enslaving them, if they were lucky.

The population density was minute so vast areas of land appeared to be uninhabited. Often local chiefs would sell/give permission for Europeans to settle land in exchange for trinkets such as cloth, beads, steel knives & occasionally old muskets. This was scrubland and virgin bush that was changed to fertile land over time by a combination of crop rotation, fertilisation, irrigation and hard work.

A century or more later these areas of fertile farms and vineyards are now being viewed with jealous eyes. Is there a need to take these farms back by force? There's plenty of scrubland and virgin bush left which could instead be converted just like these farms were. Two problems with that line of thought are that those huge swathes of unused and undeveloped land are owned by the ANC and that it would involve hard graft. It's easier to nick what's already working to wipe your **** with it.

I freely admit I know virtually nothing about what’s going on and whilst I do have a good deal of sympathy for those being dispossessed, the fact of the matter is that whatever the politics involving the various tribes, I didn’t just imagine apartheid. It did happen until very recently. And many of those farmers I’m quite certain benefited from that system, so whilst I have some sympathy on an individual level, it doesn’t strike me as one of the greatest injustices. The greater surprise is the overall tolerance shown by the blacks to the whites following apartheid and that it didn’t happen sooner.

Anyway, I’ve never met a nice South African.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Oct 6 2018, 06:54 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ Oct 6 2018, 05:05 AM) *
I freely admit I know virtually nothing about what’s going on and whilst I do have a good deal of sympathy for those being dispossessed, the fact of the matter is that whatever the politics involving the various tribes, I didn’t just imagine apartheid. It did happen until very recently. And many of those farmers I’m quite certain benefited from that system, so whilst I have some sympathy on an individual level, it doesn’t strike me as one of the greatest injustices. The greater surprise is the overall tolerance shown by the blacks to the whites following apartheid and that it didn’t happen sooner.

You dont actually know much about anything.😂

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Oct 6 2018, 08:22 AM
Post #30

Advanced Member

The sad reality is that those africans who worked on white owned farms had a far better lifestyle than what was forced on them after, (as in the case of Rhodesia), the owners were kicked out. Apartheid was not used in SA as a means of suppressing the indigenous population more a tool to maintain white control. You may find that unpalatable but it was certainly better for the country and the majority of it's inhabitants.
Despite history saying otherwise SA would have been a lot worse off if the brits hadn't nicked it off the dutch 120 years ago.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mr Brown
post Oct 6 2018, 08:44 AM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,072

Reggie Dyer was right; eh lads?

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Oct 6 2018, 08:54 AM
Post #32

Advanced Member

You have truly excelled.

What a shocking statement to make.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Oct 6 2018, 10:49 AM
Post #33

Advanced Member

QUOTE (x2lls @ Oct 6 2018, 09:54 AM) *
You have truly excelled.

What a shocking statement to make.

Xenophobic. He will no doubt be meeting plenty when the white exodus really kicks in. They have to live somewhere. Lets hope its next door to Newres!!😂

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Oct 6 2018, 12:16 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Oct 6 2018, 11:49 AM) *
Xenophobic. He will no doubt be meeting plenty when the white exodus really kicks in. They have to live somewhere. Lets hope its next door to Newres!!😂

One is obliged to pose the question that if the white population is booted out of Southern Africa , (vis a vis the Idi Amin regime's treatment of Asians), will this Countries vociferous liberal element welcome them with open arms? Don't put your pension on that one boys and girls.

--------------------

+Quote Post
newres
post Oct 6 2018, 12:50 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

What a bunch of snowflakes.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Oct 6 2018, 07:34 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ Oct 6 2018, 01:50 PM) *
What a bunch of snowflakes.

You make no sense. Not even consistent in your views. Troll or just very thick. Probably both.👍

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Oct 7 2018, 07:55 AM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Oct 6 2018, 08:34 PM) *
You make no sense. Not even consistent in your views. Troll or just very thick. Probably both.��

Don't keep biting TDH, you'll only make him/her worse! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Oct 7 2018, 11:46 AM
Post #38

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Oct 7 2018, 08:55 AM) *

Just a bit of fun Biker. 😂

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Oct 7 2018, 01:06 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Oct 7 2018, 08:55 AM) *

That is not possible.

--------------------

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Oct 8 2018, 07:46 AM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

Spitting Image reference by any chance?
https://youtu.be/aeDk6ZeGNnU

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:22 AM