IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What a caring for the environment lot Newbury folk are.
SirWilliam
post Mar 15 2018, 11:43 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,341

QUOTE (newres @ Mar 15 2018, 10:00 AM) *
If we propose to stick with the policy it can only be because by doing so we gain more than we lose. It’s called not cutting off one’s nose to spite one’s face because no matter how much we might like to live in the past, we have to accept we are in a global marketplace and by sticking with the EU we are at least peripherally part of a major player.

Something like, we let them have fishing rights in our coastal waters in exchange they send us german cars without restriction? Brilliant deal! This brexit deal should be done and dusted by easter. Little wonder the ruskies put two fingers up to us. angry.gif

--------------------
Si non prius succederent.......... relinquere
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
newres
post Mar 15 2018, 12:12 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Mar 15 2018, 11:43 AM) *
Something like, we let them have fishing rights in our coastal waters in exchange they send us german cars without restriction? Brilliant deal! This brexit deal should be done and dusted by easter. Little wonder the ruskies put two fingers up to us. angry.gif

rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Mar 15 2018, 01:11 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Mar 14 2018, 11:12 AM) *
Likewise.
Refusing to pay it is a matter of principle.
They claim it will raise £900,000.
That would assume that 18,000 households are going to pay it?
Surely there aren't that many mugs in the District?? unsure.gif

The council tactic is obvious - slap on a charge and hope no one pays it, then stop the collection alltogether and save the £900k they currently pay Veolia to collect it.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Mar 16 2018, 05:26 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (blackdog @ Mar 15 2018, 01:11 PM) *
The council tactic is obvious - slap on a charge and hope no one pays it, then stop the collection alltogether and save the £900k they currently pay Veolia to collect it.

But then there will be far more going to landfill as people will put food waste etc and obviously grass cuttings, in bin bags, in the general waste bins. Also less green waste going for composting which I understand the council currently make money from! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Mar 16 2018, 07:10 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Mar 16 2018, 05:26 PM) *
But then there will be far more going to landfill as people will put food waste etc and obviously grass cuttings, in bin bags, in the general waste bins. Also less green waste going for composting which I understand the council currently make money from! rolleyes.gif

Different budget. rolleyes.gif On a similar note, why do people throw food away? I thought the idea was to eat it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Mar 16 2018, 08:06 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Mar 16 2018, 07:10 PM) *
Different budget. rolleyes.gif On a similar note, why do people throw food away? I thought the idea was to eat it.

Vegetable peelings, tea bags, etc. However good you are there is always food waste in any good kitchen. and not everyone has facilities for making home compost. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Mar 16 2018, 11:51 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Mar 16 2018, 05:26 PM) *

Do the council make anything from recycling? I would have thought that would be a Veolia perk.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Mar 17 2018, 12:33 AM
Post #28

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Mar 16 2018, 11:51 PM) *
Do the council make anything from recycling? I would have thought that would be a Veolia perk.

I may be incorrect on the Council making money, not sure to be honest I know a neighbour who is a keen gardener buys it. But the point is that all the current kitchen waste etc will now go to landfill which creates tons of methane when slowly rotting in landfill. Unless of course all the present green waste bins are paid for?
Can you really expect that to happen? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Mar 17 2018, 01:14 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

After years of telling us to recycle more they then ensure people will recycle less. It's a debacle.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Mar 17 2018, 03:54 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Mar 17 2018, 01:14 PM) *
After years of telling us to recycle more they then ensure people will recycle less. It's a debacle.

And still we don't know which plastics go in which bin. Maybe councils have no idea either so they muddy the pond further by charging twice for stuff that will end up in landfill.
Poor joe bloggs at the end of the line is expected to shoulder the disposal cost of something that is not of his making. Why can't all items that require plastic packaging use a product that is recyclable? If this part of the equation was rectified maybe the green waste removal would not be such a financial issue.

--------------------

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Mar 17 2018, 07:41 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Mar 17 2018, 03:54 PM) *
And still we don't know which plastics go in which bin. Maybe councils have no idea either so they muddy the pond further by charging twice for stuff that will end up in landfill.
Poor joe bloggs at the end of the line is expected to shoulder the disposal cost of something that is not of his making. Why can't all items that require plastic packaging use a product that is recyclable? If this part of the equation was rectified maybe the green waste removal would not be such a financial issue.

It's not that easy - after all WBC will only cycle some recyclable plastics, not all of them. Councils need to be forced to recycle all recyclable materials - for instance aluminium, why don't WBC recycle something so easy to recycle?

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Mar 17 2018, 08:02 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Mar 17 2018, 12:33 AM) *
I may be incorrect on the Council making money, not sure to be honest I know a neighbour who is a keen gardener buys it. But the point is that all the current kitchen waste etc will now go to landfill which creates tons of methane when slowly rotting in landfill. Unless of course all the present green waste bins are paid for?
Can you really expect that to happen? rolleyes.gif

There will, of course, be resistance to the new charge, and those using it least will be the most able to cope without it. Bigger families with a small garden will be the most peeved, already complaining about having fortnightly collection because the black bin fills up - so little room for the grass cuttings.

It is the big users who are most likely to pay up - and they provide most of the green waste. It will be interesting to see what transpires in the recycling figures.

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Mar 18 2018, 09:22 AM
Post #33

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Mar 17 2018, 07:41 PM) *
It's not that easy - after all WBC will only cycle some recyclable plastics, not all of them. Councils need to be forced to recycle all recyclable materials - for instance aluminium, why don't WBC recycle something so easy to recycle?

I was not aware that they didn't recycle aluminium, which shows just how much of a blind alley the public find themselves in. Plastic seems to be the main culprit so, as you say, why don't they recycle ALL plastic?
Now they tell me that the humble tea bag contains plastic which is not an ideal for "green" waste. This may be logical when one thinks about it but how many of us did? No, before they start placing the burden on the tax payer they need to have a universal approach.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Mar 18 2018, 12:52 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Mar 18 2018, 09:22 AM) *
I was not aware that they didn't recycle aluminium, which shows just how much of a blind alley the public find themselves in. Plastic seems to be the main culprit so, as you say, why don't they recycle ALL plastic?
Now they tell me that the humble tea bag contains plastic which is not an ideal for "green" waste. This may be logical when one thinks about it but how many of us did? No, before they start placing the burden on the tax payer they need to have a universal approach.

Where does it say you can't recycle aluminium?

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Mar 18 2018, 01:10 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Mar 18 2018, 12:52 PM) *
Where does it say you can't recycle aluminium?

Post 31. I was replying to the post not posing the question. They may well do in which case the odd aluminium can that I use ends up in the correct bin.

--------------------

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Mar 18 2018, 06:57 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Mar 18 2018, 01:10 PM) *
Post 31. I was replying to the post not posing the question. They may well do in which case the odd aluminium can that I use ends up in the correct bin.

They specify that they want soft drink cans. Ergo aluminium.

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Mar 18 2018, 10:45 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Mar 18 2018, 06:57 PM) *
They specify that they want soft drink cans. Ergo aluminium.

...but not aluminium foil or wrapping.

The one I really don't understand is that sheets of paper can go in the recycling but shredded paper is not allowed.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Mar 19 2018, 01:45 AM
Post #38

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Mar 18 2018, 10:45 PM) *
...but not aluminium foil or wrapping.

Or aluminium pie trays, pet food containers, etc. If it ain't a can send it to landfill.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Mar 19 2018, 07:17 AM
Post #39

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

QUOTE (blackdog @ Mar 19 2018, 01:45 AM) *
Or aluminium pie trays, pet food containers, etc. If it ain't a can send it to landfill.

I sometimes thing they, and we are just playing at recycling. It all seems just for show with no real content at all, there must be a market somewhere for all this stuff, what about bottle tops for instance? Why can't we recycle those?

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Mar 19 2018, 09:12 AM
Post #40

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Mar 19 2018, 07:17 AM) *
I sometimes thing they, and we are just playing at recycling. It all seems just for show with no real content at all, there must be a market somewhere for all this stuff, what about bottle tops for instance? Why can't we recycle those?

Agreement there. Easy to lay the problem at the consumer's door whilst not having a coherent policy to tackle it. In terms of usage I probably dispose of more non recyclable plastic than reusable. Seems to me that they are ok with milk containers, ( 1 / week ), but yoghurt pots which appear to be the same material, ( 1 / day ), are designated to the black bin along with all the lids.

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:48 AM