> Flooding, a thing to bear in mind!
Gazzadp
post Feb 13 2014, 04:10 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,684

REPOSTED: >>> Flooding, be prepared <<<

I have posted this on facebook, but what with the conditions as they are and with NO END in sight. I feel it is prudent to repost it on these forums too.

What is now needed is a prolonged dry spell of weather lasting several weeks, the bad news is there is NO sign of any chance of that. The fact is even if we were to have just a dry week, the water level would contine to up & then recede, then go up again. This is due to how ground water filters through into the river system.

I know that I keep on saying this but sadly it is a fact, ground water takes 3-7 days to affect a river or stream.

Sadly I am afraid that with this weather set to continue for at least a few more weeks yet personally I think we will see this weather continue to the END OF MARCH at the earliest), I think those who have been flooded might see further problems.

As the water levels might appear to go down, but that will sadly only be a temporary reprieve, as it takes rain water about 3-7 days to filter through into the rivers, so my advice to those who have sadly been flooded is BE PREPARED for the levels to not only go down, but they will also rise again and they may rise faster next time due to the cuurent saturated ground water levels. Those in low lying areas should be on the ALERT for surface water flooding to, EVEN if they do NOT live near a river or stream etc.

Anyway my thoughts are with those people who have already been flooded, my heart goes out to them. It gives me absolutely NO pleasure in having to tell those reading this post, that sadly things are more than likely to get a whole lot worse before conditions show any signs of even improving.

The best advice for all, is do think that it will not happen to you. Surface water flooding can
happen very suddenly. Just pay attention to what is arround you.

Best Wishes & Stay Safe.,

Garry

The Weather Tw*t! (on facebook)

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/

FLOODLINE:
0345 9881188
0845 988 1188

--------------------
Obnoxious possiby, VEXATIOUS definitely not.

www.notellingyou.not
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
motormad
post Feb 13 2014, 04:56 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

I saw on the back end of Turnpike this morning, near the little double mini roundabouts, some serious flooding. I felt very sorry for those who are effected, it's not nice sad.gif

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
Gazzadp
post Feb 14 2014, 04:19 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

I thought I would add this as areply to this thread, rather than start another flood related thread.

**Flooding, a health warning.**

Weil's Disease (Leptospirosis).

The chances of becoming infected are very rare, but it is better to be safe than sorry.

This is a post to make people aware of serious water bourne disease, which in some cases and if not treated in time can be fatal. Although Weil's disease occurs all year round, the disease is spread by rats urine in water.

So with all this flooding there is a risk that a person may come into contact with contaminated flood water, either whilst trying to prevent flooding or whilst cleaning up after a flood. Weil's disease is spread through a fresh open wound, scratch or graze. So where possible try and where suitable gloves. If you have got any cut, graze or scratch then try and make sure the wound is covered by a suitable water proof dressing. If you injure yourself whilst working in flood water, then make sure you clean the wound thoroughly under running water, then apply antiseptic lotion or cream.

The syptoms of Wiel's disease are very similiar to those of a bad flu infection. So if you think you might there may be chance of you becoming infected with Weil's and you know that you cuts/scratched yourself and you feel that you have flu like syptoms, the best advice is see you GP and discuss it with them especialy if the flu like symptoms last longer than usual or you feel worse than usual... It is better to be safe than sorry!

Best Wishes.,

Garry
The Weather T**t, on facebook

other link removed

FLOODLINE:
0345 9881188
0845 988 1188

--------------------

www.notellingyou.not

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Feb 14 2014, 05:15 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Good post Gazzadp.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Gazzadp
post Feb 16 2014, 05:17 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Another warning for parents & grand parents.

*Floods & Half Term Holidays*

The half term school holidays are now here, and so still is the dangers of flood water, so for those who care about their children and grand children, please make sure that warn them of the dangers of playing in flood water. Flood water is usually contaminated with sewage and other pollutants such as oils and possibly chemicals too., so if you or you children have come into contact with flood water, then it goes without saying that you should wash your hands thoroughly before eating or drinking.

Another hazard with flood water is that more often than not, you might know how deep the water is, if the water is very dirty you might be able to see what is underfoot. Drain & manhole covers can be displaced by the pressure of flood water, this can lead to people getting their feet or leg stuck in the hole, likewise if the drain is big enough you may actually fall into drain and the suction of the water flowing down into that drain may hold you in place, SADLY PEOPLE HAVE DIED THAT WAY!

Then there is the danger of playing by rivers, stream and canals that are swollen by flood water, each year several people die as a result of slipping or falling into swollen rivers.

So PLEASE try and stay safe,

Garry smile.gif
The Weather T**t.

***link partially removed***.thenewburyforums.****

FLOODLINE:
0345 9881188
0845 988 1188

--------------------

www.notellingyou.not

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Feb 16 2014, 08:08 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

Thanks for your helpful posts, but:

QUOTE (Gazzadp @ Feb 16 2014, 05:17 PM) *
FLOODLINE:
0345 9881188
0845 988 1188

maybe, like the Environment Agency, you should no longer be quoting the 0845 number (well at least the BBC only quotes the 0345 number).

+Quote Post
gel
post Feb 16 2014, 08:31 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 337

Check the incoming weather pattern on this www; just click on UK, to magnify
image:
http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/...-5.64,35.45,249

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Feb 17 2014, 09:09 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

I suppose these posts are of use to some and thanks to Gazzadp for posting them.
I like the phrase "for those who care about their children and grand children" wink.gif
However, I find it somewhat sad and disturbing that people need this kind of information in order to survive flood conditions.
I too have seen on the news those idiots who put themselves in danger just to observe the storm and flood spectacles.
Whatever happened to common sense and the natural survival instinct?? unsure.gif

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Feb 17 2014, 11:02 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

Biker - I think some people may not be aware that flood water is contaminated and contains lots of nasty bugs. Nothing to do with putting oneself in danger.

+Quote Post
Ruwan Uduwerage-...
post Feb 17 2014, 11:36 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 303

QUOTE (JeffG @ Feb 17 2014, 11:02 AM) *
Biker - I think some people may not be aware that flood water is contaminated and contains lots of nasty bugs. Nothing to do with putting oneself in danger.

Personally I am very concerned that Thames Water have not put signs up identifying the flood waters at the junction of Newport Road and Pike Street are contaminated. Although diluted, the water here contains sewage matter.

Residents and both District and Town Councillors have identified this as an issue, and will continue to do so.

Please be aware and careful.

Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera

Newbury Town Council - Councillor for Victoria Ward & Deputy Leader

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Feb 17 2014, 01:04 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Feb 17 2014, 12:02 PM) *
Biker - I think some people may not be aware that flood water is contaminated and contains lots of nasty bugs.

Hmmm..........OK but I would have thought that was obvious.
Still, better to be too careful than not at all. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gazzadp
post Feb 18 2014, 03:07 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Well to be the bearer of bad news, or to just be the person being honest...

My advice is to try and make the best of this weeks relatively good weather, as the all the models are showing that the Jet Stream has decided it did not want to go on holiday either further to the north or south, the fact is the models are showing the temperature differential between the cold air north of the jet stream and the warm air south of the stream will be affected by another plunge of very cold artic air.

What does that mean in lay mans terms, well back to the very wet & and very windy (often stormy) weather next week.

Sorry peoples.

--------------------

www.notellingyou.not

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Feb 18 2014, 05:36 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera @ Feb 17 2014, 11:36 AM) *
Personally I am very concerned that Thames Water have not put signs up identifying the flood waters at the junction of Newport Road and Pike Street are contaminated. Although diluted, the water here contains sewage matter.

Every department is attempting to abdicate responsibility for the water heaving out of the drain at the junction of Newport Road and Pike Street. To put up a sign would immediately suggest that the sign owner has that responsibility. Good thing is that our MP was there and was able to get himself on camera. If NTC want to put up a sign, I'm sure the residents would be relieved to know that NTC are confirming what they already know. The brown floater was a clue.

+Quote Post
motormad
post Feb 18 2014, 06:24 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Gazzadp @ Feb 18 2014, 03:07 PM) *
Well to be the bearer of bad news, or to just be the person being honest...

My advice is to try and make the best of this weeks relatively good weather, as the all the models are showing that the Jet Stream has decided it did not want to go on holiday either further to the north or south, the fact is the models are showing the temperature differential between the cold air north of the jet stream and the warm air south of the stream will be affected by another plunge of very cold artic air.

What does that mean in lay mans terms, well back to the very wet & and very windy (often stormy) weather next week.

Sorry peoples.

Argh!!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Feb 19 2014, 05:22 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Gazzadp @ Feb 18 2014, 04:07 PM) *
all the models are showing that the Jet Stream has decided it did not want to go on holiday either further to the north or south, the fact is the models are showing the temperature differential between the cold air north of the jet stream and the warm air south of the stream will be affected by another plunge of very cold artic air.

Sorry peoples.

From whence does this information come and is it reliable?
What are these "models"?
I remember at the beginning of the dismal 2012 summer we were told to "expect a barbecue summer"! tongue.gif

By the way people is a plural, there is not need to put an "s" on the end.
Persons is another plural.
Sorry, I am just a grumpy old man who is irritated by these modern colloquialisms. especially when they derive from an irritating television advertisement. (Aren't they all?)biggrin.gif wink.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 19 2014, 08:09 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Feb 19 2014, 05:22 PM) *
Sorry, I am just a grumpy old man who is irritated by these modern colloquialisms. especially when they derive from an irritating television advertisement. (Aren't they all?)biggrin.gif wink.gif

Ohhhh yus!

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Feb 19 2014, 08:29 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

What is this thread meant to achieve?

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Feb 19 2014, 08:39 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Feb 19 2014, 05:22 PM) *
From whence does this information come and is it reliable?
What are these "models"?
I remember at the beginning of the dismal 2012 summer we were told to "expect a barbecue summer"! tongue.gif

By the way people is a plural, there is not need to put an "s" on the end.
Persons is another plural.

I really hate "simples"

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 19 2014, 10:04 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (x2lls @ Feb 19 2014, 08:29 PM) *
What is this thread meant to achieve?

World peace.

+Quote Post
motormad
post Feb 20 2014, 12:10 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Gender equality.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 08:57 AM