> Police's overtime rip-off
Iommi
post May 14 2010, 11:43 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 20

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ May 14 2010, 10:33 AM) *
...I saw an interview with a top cop last night and he was explaining the £400 Million Pound Police overtime bill. He explained just how long it took now to get booked into Custody compared with 20 years ago due to to all the form filling and rigmarole that they have to go through and was extolling a return to 20 or 30 years ago when just used to 'bang em up'. He was also explaining the abuse of the system by some PC's. For example if you get a call on a day off and have to go to the Station for 1 hour this counts as a minimun 4 hours overtime and as its your day off it gets doubled to 8 hours overtime. So in theory you could take a week off and work 1 hour each day and get paid 40 hours overtime. He agreed that this was abuse and needed looking into. It just shows the waste of money that the previous Government has been allowing for years and years.....

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post May 14 2010, 12:04 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

Yes, I believe that there is a very strong case to review the whole of the police operation as there clearly seems to be a great deal of waste, unnessary paperwork, over management and a culture of reponsibility avoidance by some members of the force. Crime is still a crime whatever level it is assessed at and needs to be evaluated as important.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Guest_NWNREADER_*
post May 14 2010, 02:56 PM
Post #3

Guests

Beware......
I know how to read a Newspaper, but I couldn't tell an editor how to save money on his business costs.
Regulations are in place to govern police pay, conditions of service etc, and they collectively protect the officer from unreasonable intrusion on his private time as well enabling Chief Constables etc to manage decisions to do so when circumstances demand. It is 60 years since police officers were on duty 24/7.
The regulations allow an officer to claim compensation for various requirements to work more than rostered duties, including on their day off. Not all claim, and the tosh about 4 hours pay for a phone call is more a warning to bad managers than a reason to change the regulations.
Don't believe everything you learn from media sources. The system may not be perfect, but there are not many officers creaming overtime in the ways talked about; those that do soon get appropriate advice - as often from colleagues as supervisors.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post May 14 2010, 03:09 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ May 14 2010, 03:56 PM) *
Beware......
I know how to read a Newspaper, but I couldn't tell an editor how to save money on his business costs.
Regulations are in place to govern police pay, conditions of service etc, and they collectively protect the officer from unreasonable intrusion on his private time as well enabling Chief Constables etc to manage decisions to do so when circumstances demand. It is 60 years since police officers were on duty 24/7.
The regulations allow an officer to claim compensation for various requirements to work more than rostered duties, including on their day off. Not all claim, and the tosh about 4 hours pay for a phone call is more a warning to bad managers than a reason to change the regulations.
Don't believe everything you learn from media sources. The system may not be perfect, but there are not many officers creaming overtime in the ways talked about; those that do soon get appropriate advice - as often from colleagues as supervisors.

Beware......
Drastic cuts are coming in Public Spending and all areas of expenditure are going to be thoroughly reviewed. The spend spend spend policy of the old Government has gone. I would expect reductions in the workforce in all areas of the Public Sector and pay freezes / cuts. It's what the Private Sector has gone through over the last 18 months. The Public Sector are about to feel the pain and take the medicine. They won't like and may strike, which won't acheive anything but disruption. After all the Private Sector have had to like it or lump it. So you'd better get used to being frugal.

+Quote Post
user23
post May 14 2010, 03:27 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ May 14 2010, 04:09 PM) *
Beware......
Drastic cuts are coming in Public Spending and all areas of expenditure are going to be thoroughly reviewed. The spend spend spend policy of the old Government has gone. I would expect reductions in the workforce in all areas of the Public Sector and pay freezes / cuts. It's what the Private Sector has gone through over the last 18 months. The Public Sector are about to feel the pain and take the medicine.
We all feel the pain when there are cuts in the Public Sector.

+Quote Post
Guest_NWNREADER_*
post May 14 2010, 03:50 PM
Post #6

Guests

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ May 14 2010, 04:09 PM) *
Beware......
Drastic cuts are coming in Public Spending and all areas of expenditure are going to be thoroughly reviewed. The spend spend spend policy of the old Government has gone. I would expect reductions in the workforce in all areas of the Public Sector and pay freezes / cuts. It's what the Private Sector has gone through over the last 18 months. The Public Sector are about to feel the pain and take the medicine. They won't like and may strike, which won't acheive anything but disruption. After all the Private Sector have had to like it or lump it. So you'd better get used to being frugal.

Not sure I understand what I think you think you said.... or why.
80% of the police budget is spent on staff employment costs. I am sure other public services are not hugely different. By nature the management cannot pass on costs, and are obligated to provide a response ability that they cannot control.
There is little margin for reducing costs without digging into (police) staff numbers, which will increase the pressure on response times, quality of service, etc. Maybe even an increase in overtime as a proportion of the labour cost.

What do people want, in sufficient numbers and with sufficient cohesion to enable an acceptable change to be delivered? Huge amounts of off-loaded 'public' service has been converted into private industry, and huge numbers of staff are employed more to provide data for government that improve primary service. Be careful what you wish for.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 14 2010, 11:05 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

Perhaps getting rid of some would prompt the rest into doing a better job so they don't go the same way.

+Quote Post
Darren
post May 15 2010, 03:58 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

QUOTE (Strafin @ May 14 2010, 11:05 PM) *
Perhaps getting rid of some would prompt the rest into doing a better job so they don't go the same way.

Better still, half their wages and employ twice as many.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 15 2010, 09:44 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

Or disband the whole charade and we can use our tax money to pay the mob or a group of vigilantes!

+Quote Post
Guest_NWNREADER_*
post May 15 2010, 10:04 AM
Post #10

Guests

Nothing easier than knowing how someone else should do their job.......... With so many experts available I never seem to be amazed there are so many problems in the world, let alone Newbury.
A core misunderstanding about policing is that much of their work now is directed towards delivering Government targets, including the gathering and presentation of data to prove that is being done. That is primarily so the Government can say what 'they' have done for 'you'. The roles so any citizens would like to see the police doing (and which many police officers crave to do) are not on the radar. More and more roles are hived off to Local Authorities etc, and the bill then comes on( local) taxation without and comparable reduction elsewhere. Example - the Highway Agency 'Traffic Officers' were funded with £60m a year of new money. Police officers were then all but withdrawn from Motorways except in response roles. Also, as an example, it costs £800 a car to fit the sticky labels 'required' by H&S requirements.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post May 15 2010, 01:36 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ May 15 2010, 11:04 AM) *
Nothing easier than knowing how someone else should do their job.......... With so many experts available I never seem to be amazed there are so many problems in the world, let alone Newbury.
A core misunderstanding about policing is that much of their work now is directed towards delivering Government targets, including the gathering and presentation of data to prove that is being done. That is primarily so the Government can say what 'they' have done for 'you'. The roles so any citizens would like to see the police doing (and which many police officers crave to do) are not on the radar. More and more roles are hived off to Local Authorities etc, and the bill then comes on( local) taxation without and comparable reduction elsewhere. Example - the Highway Agency 'Traffic Officers' were funded with £60m a year of new money. Police officers were then all but withdrawn from Motorways except in response roles. Also, as an example, it costs £800 a car to fit the sticky labels 'required' by H&S requirements.

Paragraph one - we 'experts' don't know. Paragraph two - you do know. Hello kettle!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Guest_NWNREADER_*
post May 15 2010, 04:57 PM
Post #12

Guests

QUOTE (On the edge @ May 15 2010, 02:36 PM) *
Paragraph one - we 'experts' don't know. Paragraph two - you do know. Hello kettle!

You've lost me....... I'm not into intrigue.

I rather wonder why this thread has been injected into several others, which have no other link to the topic??? unsure.gif unsure.gif unsure.gif

+Quote Post
Road User
post May 21 2010, 03:03 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 38

I think the police are underpaid personally!

I wouldn't want to have to face what they do every day! On top of the incredible amount of red tape there are the human rights sharks waiting to sue them when they rough up some strung out crack head who has just beat his girlfriend/children/complete strangers black and blue!

I say raise the tax on footballers, useless "celebrities,” and politicians so we can increase their pay and hire admin staff for filling in forms and filing them.

Cut the red tape used to tie them up and waste their time and get them back in the communities.

Also get rid of the time wasting laws that favour the criminals and give the “human rights” back to the victims.

A huge part of the problems is laws written in solicitor language that are
misinterpreted and allow criminals to go free. Write the laws in plain language and make sure they actually protect law abiding citizens and not the people committing the crimes.

angry.gif Rant over......

+Quote Post
Iommi
post May 21 2010, 03:57 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

Nah, the last thing we want is more 'filf' on the streets! tongue.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 06:29 PM