> Newbury Train Station, GWR, Network Rail, Shame Shame Shame
Exhausted
post Mar 5 2017, 06:55 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 320

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Mar 2 2017, 10:28 PM) *
What else do you expect? I was told by a GWR staff member today that spending money on Newbury Train station was a "waste of money".

He would know of course.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Mar 5 2017, 09:21 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Mar 5 2017, 08:55 PM) *
He would know of course.

Or she! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 22 2017, 06:47 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

More great service from our 3rd world rail service:

On Saturday I check the GWR App to see there's a bus replacement on Sunday around 09:15 from Thatcham. Come Sunday morning the app doesn't work (again). Get to Thatcham station in plenty of time and around 09:30 I begin to get that concerned feeling. Fortunately for me an acquaintance has a slightly more reliable app it seems and informs me the bus has been cancelled; next train is an hour away. Brilliant! Which means I won't get to London at the time wanted by some margin. Good job I thumbed as much pish out as I could before I left the house!

Tonight I get on the Plymouth train and the aircon is up the spout; bleeding stunk of sweat in there!

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post May 22 2017, 07:30 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 22 2017, 07:47 PM) *
More great service from our 3rd world rail service:

On Saturday I check the GWR App to see there's a bus replacement on Sunday around 09:15 from Thatcham. Come Sunday morning the app doesn't work (again). Get to Thatcham station in plenty of time and around 09:30 I begin to get that concerned feeling. Fortunately for me an equantance has a slightly more reliable app it seems and informs me the bus has been cancelled; next train is an hour away. Brilliant! Which means I won't get to London at the time wanted by some margin. Good job I thumbed as much pish out as I could before I left the house!

Tonight I get on the Plymouth train and the aircon is up the spout; bleeding stunk of sweat in there!

You were lucky. My train was cancelled due to no train crew and the next one was 20 mins late and no air con either. Then missed my connection at Reading. Useless.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post May 22 2017, 07:41 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ May 22 2017, 08:30 PM) *
Useless.

Yet the cost of running the railways has more than doubled in real-terms since privatisation, and all but one of the private train operators receive more in subsidies than they return in franchise payments.

If the state is paying the private rail operators so much public money and the service is still as you say so useless, let's nationalise it and do a better job.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post May 22 2017, 08:12 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ May 22 2017, 08:41 PM) *
Yet the cost of running the railways has more than doubled in real-terms since privatisation, and all but one of the private train operators receive more in subsidies than they return in franchise payments.

If the state is paying the private rail operators so much public money and the service is still as you say so useless, let's nationalise it and do a better job.

I agree with Nationalisation of the Railways but ONLY if the Unions guaranteed a service Monday to Friday and reserved any strike action for weekends. If not I fear the worst.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 22 2017, 08:16 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ May 22 2017, 09:12 PM) *
I agree with Nationalisation of the Railways but ONLY if the Unions guaranteed a service Monday to Friday and reserved any strike action for weekends. If not I fear the worst.

I agree. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 23 2017, 07:01 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

Another miserable evening trying to get home on our retarded train service. All delayed, no information and no one knows anything and last second platform alterations!!!

Oh and GWR have changed the app to make it completely useless as well.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 26 2017, 06:54 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

And another miserable day at Reading station not knowing when trains will appear and an app whose most effective freature is looking green.

It must be the wrong sort of sun.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post May 26 2017, 08:51 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 26 2017, 07:54 PM) *
And another miserable day at Reading station not knowing when trains will appear and an app whose most effective freature is looking green.

Umm, try using buses in Newbury, situation far worse. It seems we 'don't do' service technology in the UK anymore.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post May 26 2017, 08:52 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

It's ok, just write to 'jeremy will fix it!'. Job done.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post May 27 2017, 08:54 AM
Post #52

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ May 26 2017, 09:52 PM) *
It's ok, just write to 'jeremy will fix it!'. Job done.

That's just the point, he can't. It's all about attitude, and round here at least the problems with public transport are really down to that; attitude. What ever your politics.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post May 27 2017, 09:19 AM
Post #53

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 26 2017, 07:54 PM) *

Much of the disruption on our line yesterday were caused by the failure of a freight train between Bedwyn and Hungerford.
The failed train in question was operated by DB Cargo UK........a division of German Sate Railways (Deutsche Bahn)! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post May 27 2017, 09:30 AM
Post #54

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

QUOTE (On the edge @ May 27 2017, 09:54 AM) *
That's just the point, he can't. It's all about attitude, and round here at least the problems with public transport are really down to that; attitude. What ever your politics.

Yeah, right, so it's 'attitude' that caused the breakdown of a freight train. Right.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 27 2017, 09:40 AM
Post #55

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ May 27 2017, 10:19 AM) *
Much of the disruption on our line yesterday were caused by the failure of a freight train between Bedwyn and Hungerford.
The failed train in question was operated by DB Cargo UK........a division of German Sate Railways (Deutsche Bahn)! tongue.gif

What country is responsible for the GWR app downgrade!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post May 27 2017, 10:04 AM
Post #56

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 27 2017, 10:40 AM) *
What country is responsible for the GWR app downgrade!

???
Who knows?
The www is what it says - world wide.
I would imagine GWR would be immediately responsible (that is if it is not your phone or network) which is part of First Group, so I would say the UK, but not being an avid "app" user I wouldn't really know?

Oh yes that reminds me, as an aside, how's the all singing, all dancing Thatcham Crossing "app" working out?

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post May 27 2017, 10:36 AM
Post #57

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ May 27 2017, 10:30 AM) *
Yeah, right, so it's 'attitude' that caused the breakdown of a freight train. Right.

Well yes, it is, in the same way as it's attitude that pretty much guarantees that civil aircraft don't tall out of the sky for lack of maintenance. We take an attitude to the maintenance of rolling stock that accepts failures, but it could be engineered otherwise - though there's a cost and a proportionate approach will be to accept some level of breakdowns.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post May 27 2017, 11:02 AM
Post #58

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ May 27 2017, 11:36 AM) *
Well yes, it is, in the same way as it's attitude that pretty much guarantees that civil aircraft don't tall out of the sky for lack of maintenance. We take an attitude to the maintenance of rolling stock that accepts failures, but it could be engineered otherwise - though there's a cost and a proportionate approach will be to accept some level of breakdowns.

Still, when is completely​ borked (I mean nationalised) that won't be a problem will it? Oh, and planes do still have failures, even with all the systems redundancy you can throw at them you can't ever rule out total failure.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post May 27 2017, 12:33 PM
Post #59

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ May 27 2017, 10:19 AM) *

Actually proves the point old boy! Why on earth would the German State railway service want a slice of private enterprise UK? Is it not just to extract as much cash as they can to support their own? One thiing is certain, it's not for customer service!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post May 27 2017, 12:39 PM
Post #60

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ May 27 2017, 12:02 PM) *
Still, when is completely​ borked (I mean nationalised) that won't be a problem will it? Oh, and planes do still have failures, even with all the systems redundancy you can throw at them you can't ever rule out total failure.

Quite right BUT you can change attitudes. Moderating tooth and claw capitalisim does not necessarily mean centralised bureacracy. There are other models, John Lewis doesn't have strikes and its staff don't have 'railway' attitudes.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post

37 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:32 PM