Post #61

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Iommi @ Sep 4 2009, 12:48 PM) *
Yes I did, why?

OK. Just thought you might have been tempted to comment smile.gif

QUOTE (Iommi @ Sep 3 2009, 11:50 PM) *
What I have found is that a dimmed bulb will use more electricity per candela than an equivalent static 'circuit'.

Well, logic says that has to be true, since any extra bit of equipment is going to lower the efficiency. Still, a dimmer circuit is probably going to be preferable to choosing from a box full of bulbs of different wattages to suit the occasion. biggrin.gif

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Sep 4 2009, 02:09 PM
Post #62

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (JeffG @ Sep 4 2009, 02:28 PM) *
OK. Just thought you might have been tempted to comment smile.gif

I understand that, it is just that as I was quoted, I wanted to acknowledge that I was misguided - partially.

QUOTE (JeffG @ Sep 4 2009, 02:28 PM) *
Well, logic says that has to be true, since any extra bit of equipment is going to lower the efficiency. Still, a dimmer circuit is probably going to be preferable to choosing from a box full of bulbs of different wattages to suit the occasion. biggrin.gif

Your right, but if one is always on 'half' beem, then perhaps a lower wattage would be better - perhaps! wink.gif

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Sep 4 2009, 04:52 PM
Post #63

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (JeffG @ Sep 4 2009, 09:19 AM) *
Looks like neither of you read my reply #42.

Isn't that the post where you get Ohm's law wrong? A rheostat reduces the current in a circuit in order to dim a bulb. As the voltage remains the same there must be a power saving.

+Quote Post
user23
post Sep 4 2009, 05:26 PM
Post #64

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Iommi @ Sep 3 2009, 11:56 PM) *
Frankly, it is business.

Most people don't have to buy the bulbs, where as a pusher knows an addict (that he has groomed) 'needs' his fix.

I think BF is just using his initiative and fair play to him. It is about time he had a break, bearing in mind how the council's plans have allegedly adversely affected his business.
Most people don't have to buy drugs, and they don't.

As far as dealers and addicts go, no offence but that's pretty wide of the mark. Most people who get into drugs do so through peer pressure, not through "grooming" by a "pusher".

Nice attempt to bring the council into yet a another thread, by the way. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Sep 4 2009, 06:51 PM
Post #65

Advanced Member

Member No.: 37

QUOTE (user23 @ Sep 4 2009, 06:26 PM) *
Most people don't have to buy drugs, and they don't.

As far as dealers and addicts go, no offence but that's pretty wide of the mark. Most people who get into drugs do so through peer pressure, not through "grooming" by a "pusher".

Nice attempt to bring the council into yet a another thread, by the way. wink.gif

Tell us, please, since you seem to feel so strongly on the subject - have you been round to have a chat with Barry yet? If not, like the old reposte to a dodgy answer at a job interview - so what's stopping you? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Sarah
post Sep 4 2009, 07:55 PM
Post #66

Advanced Member

Member No.: 191

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Sep 4 2009, 07:51 PM) *
Tell us, please, since you seem to feel so strongly on the subject - have you been round to have a chat with Barry yet? If not, like the old reposte to a dodgy answer at a job interview - so what's stopping you? laugh.gif

Barry's not a monitor. wink.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 4 2009, 08:14 PM
Post #67

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Sep 4 2009, 07:51 PM) *

I am surprised Barry Forkin is still going; especially where he is situated. I didn't think anybody got any business in that part of outer-town.

+Quote Post
Darren
post Sep 4 2009, 08:22 PM
Post #68

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

QUOTE (GMR @ Sep 4 2009, 09:14 PM) *
I am surprised Barry Forkin is still going; especially where he is situated. I didn't think anybody got any business in that part of outer-town.

Simple, you can go in there, get advice as well as the product you need instead of the product a chain think you want. It's a bit like an old fashion sweet shop. If it's not on display, no doubt it's in a little drawer somewhere round the back.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 4 2009, 08:37 PM
Post #69

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Darren @ Sep 4 2009, 09:22 PM) *
Simple, you can go in there, get advice as well as the product you need instead of the product a chain think you want. It's a bit like an old fashion sweet shop. If it's not on display, no doubt it's in a little drawer somewhere round the back.

To be honest you can get stuff in there that you can't get anywhere else. I've got a very old lawnmower and I couldn't get a blade for it so I tried there and he had one in stock.... cost a bit though.

+Quote Post
Sarah
post Sep 4 2009, 08:41 PM
Post #70

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Sep 4 2009, 09:37 PM) *
To be honest you can get stuff in there that you can't get anywhere else. I've got a very old lawnmower and I couldn't get a blade for it so I tried there and he had one in stock.... cost a bit though.

Would have cost you a lot more if you'd had to buy a new mower, so be grateful.

+Quote Post
Darren
post Sep 4 2009, 08:46 PM
Post #71

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

He also saved the Toomers name when they were across the road and went out of business.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 4 2009, 09:05 PM
Post #72

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Sarah @ Sep 4 2009, 09:41 PM) *
Would have cost you a lot more if you'd had to buy a new mower, so be grateful.

That's true.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 4 2009, 09:06 PM
Post #73

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Darren @ Sep 4 2009, 09:46 PM) *
He also saved the Toomers name when they were across the road and went out of business.

As suppose he is doing well... that is the main thing.

+Quote Post
Sarah
post Sep 4 2009, 09:15 PM
Post #74

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Sep 4 2009, 10:06 PM) *
As suppose he is doing well... that is the main thing.

It can't be easy for the independents to make a living, as the Supermarkets now seem to sell everything, their buying power is so great that the little man can no longer compete.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 4 2009, 09:25 PM
Post #75

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Sarah @ Sep 4 2009, 10:15 PM) *
It can't be easy for the independents to make a living, as the Supermarkets now seem to sell everything, their buying power is so great that the little man can no longer compete.

That is true, what also makes it harder is that it is tucked just outside the town away from human beings.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Sep 5 2009, 10:43 AM
Post #76

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Sep 4 2009, 05:52 PM) *
Isn't that the post where you get Ohm's law wrong? A rheostat reduces the current in a circuit in order to dim a bulb. As the voltage remains the same there must be a power saving.

Oops! You're right of course. However it's less efficient since some power is dissipated as heat in the rheostat. So you don't save as much power as you would by replacing the bulb with one of lower wattage.

Have I scraped out of that one? unsure.gif

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Sep 5 2009, 10:46 AM
Post #77

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Sep 4 2009, 09:14 PM) *

He is closer than the town centre for roughly half of Newbury.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 5 2009, 11:32 AM
Post #78

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Sep 5 2009, 11:46 AM) *
He is closer than the town centre for roughly half of Newbury.

Well.... that is true, however, when people venture into town how many actually go down Bartholomew Street? Most, as far as I know, go via Sainsbury's or the Clock tower end. It would be interesting to find out how business is compared to the Northbrook street part.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Sep 5 2009, 11:45 AM
Post #79

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Sep 5 2009, 12:32 PM) *
Well.... that is true, however, when people venture into town how many actually go down Bartholomew Street? Most, as far as I know, go via Sainsbury's or the Clock tower end. It would be interesting to find out how business is compared to the Northbrook street part.

Personally, if I walk into town the shortest route is straight past Barry Forkin's. However, I do believe the Bart Street traders have had problems in the past although it usually appears pretty busy to me.

If I were to go as far North as the Clock Tower, I would make sure I had a backpack and survival rations for the long trek back smile.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 5 2009, 01:56 PM
Post #80

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Sep 5 2009, 12:45 PM) *
Personally, if I walk into town the shortest route is straight past Barry Forkin's. However, I do believe the Bart Street traders have had problems in the past although it usually appears pretty busy to me.

If I were to go as far North as the Clock Tower, I would make sure I had a backpack and survival rations for the long trek back smile.gif

I think that is how people see it coming from the other direction, so they don't bother. tongue.gif

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 11:34 PM