> How low will they stoop?, Parking charges on New Year's Day
GMR
post Jan 2 2011, 08:43 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Chesapeake @ Jan 2 2011, 08:35 PM) *
Ok, I may have this all completely wrong but as far as I understand it if Christmas Day or New Years day fall on a Saturday or Sunday then the following Monday is made into the "Bank Holiday" as a Saturday or Sunday cannot be a "Bank Holiday". If I am wrong I am sure that someone will tell me! wink.gif

You are correct. Bank holiday is on Monday this year and Christmas.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
user23
post Jan 2 2011, 08:59 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Jan 2 2011, 08:38 PM) *
You are right, but that is in addition to the day itself.
No it's not, there's a set amount of public holidays per year bar exceptional circumstances like the Royal Wedding this year.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Jan 2 2011, 09:10 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,076

So why were tesco not open the full hours then? Or other retailers? Why were banks closed? Why were council staff on different pay? The library closed? If it's just a normal day, why the above?

It doesn't matter anyway. The council advertised that they would charge people. They did it. I've simply said that I don't think it's right. If people were suitably upset, they would have passed comment long before now, before the day itself. But for you to suggest that Saturday was "just another day" is incorrect. Were the trains running on Saturday? Buses? If not, why not?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jan 2 2011, 09:15 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (user23 @ Jan 2 2011, 08:59 PM) *
No it's not, there's a set amount of public holidays per year bar exceptional circumstances like the Royal Wedding this year.

Yes, they have set amounts per year... but if Christmas falls on a Saturday or Sunday then the bank holiday will be put on the Monday (Monday and Tuesday because Christmas fell on Saturday and Boxing day fell on a Sunday in 2010).

+Quote Post
gel
post Jan 2 2011, 10:01 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 337

Councils now have freedom to set their own parking charges, and are freed from previous Government's diktat: see

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columni...o-business.html

The possibilty of WBC reducing is very remote IMO, despite damage constantly rising parking charges inflict on town traders; as previous poster indicated, those who know town, will know where it's free; visitors probably won't.

Of course part of justification for rises is to fund the Green Goblins so it's a viscious circle!

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jan 2 2011, 10:40 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Jan 2 2011, 09:10 PM) *
So why were tesco not open the full hours then? Or other retailers? Why were banks closed? Why were council staff on different pay? The library closed? If it's just a normal day, why the above?

It doesn't matter anyway. The council advertised that they would charge people. They did it. I've simply said that I don't think it's right. If people were suitably upset, they would have passed comment long before now, before the day itself. But for you to suggest that Saturday was "just another day" is incorrect. Were the trains running on Saturday? Buses? If not, why not?

Beacuse as employers all of the above decided to open as they felt fit. Were council staff on different pay or is this something else you are so sure of it must be true?

+Quote Post
user23
post Jan 2 2011, 10:54 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (gel @ Jan 2 2011, 10:01 PM) *
The possibilty of WBC reducing is very remote IMO, despite damage constantly rising parking charges inflict on town traders; as previous poster indicated, those who know town, will know where it's free; visitors probably won't.
A rise in parking charges means Council Tax may not have to rise, which benefits everyone in West Berkshire, so I'd certainly be in favour of it.

The simple solution for town traders is to subsidise parking by offering money back to shoppers, if they think it's that much of an issue.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jan 3 2011, 12:09 AM
Post #48

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

BTW - As far as I know, regular Tesco don't get extra money for working bank holidays, but they can take a day in lieu if they so wish. Tesco only pay their staff statutory sick pay as well, and as I believe that is government funded, I suppose that doesn't really count as being paid by Tesco anyway.

I do think though, that it would have been seen as a goodwill gesture had the council waved parking charges on New Years day, but it is something I wouldn't have expected them to do.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 3 2011, 09:59 AM
Post #49

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (user23 @ Jan 2 2011, 10:54 PM) *
A rise in parking charges means Council Tax may not have to rise, which benefits everyone in West Berkshire, so I'd certainly be in favour of it.

The simple solution for town traders is to subsidise parking by offering money back to shoppers, if they think it's that much of an issue.

That's not a bad idea. Could be coupled with what some other towns have done - a card which could be used as a purse for these small charges and a means of providing discount. A bit like Oyster.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jan 3 2011, 10:15 AM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

How low will they stoop? - pretty low - in 2009, at Christmas, many were ticketed for parking in the "free" car park in Northcroft Lane!.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jan 3 2011, 11:32 AM
Post #51

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jan 3 2011, 10:15 AM) *
How low will they stoop? - pretty low - in 2009, at Christmas, many were ticketed for parking in the "free" car park in Northcroft Lane!.

To be fair the 'free' parking was limited (3 hours IIRC) so parkers were expected to display a ticket to show when their 3 hours ran out. It wasn't free for as long as you liked (no doubt to prevent those working in the town from filling up the car park by 8.30). But it wasn't made very clear and a number of parkers were caught out.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jan 3 2011, 11:41 AM
Post #52

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Jan 3 2011, 01:32 PM) *
But it wasn't made very clear and a number of parkers were caught out.

Yes, and the Greenies knew this and were using it for easy pickings.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jan 3 2011, 12:25 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

In this day and age you'd have to be rather naive to park anywhere in the country in a controlled car park & not read the T&Cs.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jan 3 2011, 12:33 PM
Post #54

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jan 3 2011, 01:25 PM) *
In this day and age you'd have to be rather naive to park anywhere in the country in a controlled car park & not read the T&Cs.

So, if it's their own fault, why are folks complaining in this post?

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jan 3 2011, 12:43 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jan 3 2011, 12:33 PM) *
So, if it's their own fault, why are folks complaining in this post?

Because admiting one is in the wrong isn't human nature. Being caught out is something humans are not well able to deal with. It is why many people can't see the funny side of a joke directed at them, but laugh their pants off when the same joke is directed at someone else.

Look at all the folk bollarded who claimed anything but they were in the wrong.

Parking is one of the great modern games. About the only time you can take a chance with stakes that are not too high. You can gamble on leaving your car & wallow in the smug satisfaction of having got away with it when you return. Naturally, people hate being caught out & claim all kind of tripe when they do get a ticket.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jan 3 2011, 12:50 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jan 3 2011, 01:43 PM) *
Because admiting one is in the wrong isn't human nature. Being caught out is something humans are not well able to deal with. It is why many people can't see the funny side of a joke directed at them, but laugh their pants off when the same joke is directed at someone else.

Look at all the folk bollarded who claimed anything but they were in the wrong.

Parking is one of the great modern games. About the only time you can take a chance with stakes that are not too high. You can gamble on leaving your car & wallow in the smug satisfaction of having got away with it when you return. Naturally, people hate being caught out & claim all kind of tripe when they do get a ticket.

Yes I tend to agree with most of what you say there. The parkers were at fault but the Greenies were taking advantage of this.
We seem to live in an age where there is always someone else to blame. Whether it be the weather or, as you say, a bollarding.
People do not seem to take responsibility for their own actions these days.
Perhaps it is a result of the compensation culture that we now live in.

What do you think of those who blame the ice when they have an accident in bad weather?
Should they not be driving in a manner to suit the conditions?

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jan 3 2011, 01:28 PM
Post #57

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

I would imagine that that most people who complain about the consequences of their mistake or arrogance, is the cost. Of course people don't like being wrong, we are all guilty of that on here, but I suggest most people don't like or try to do the wrong thing either, but will do so often for expedience. People might realise they are driving in a pedestrian zone, but very few will do so knowing they are likely to write their car of doing so. Likewise, I suspect people don't think it reasonable for the high cost in parking in the wrong place for the wrong amount of time.

The 'Greenies', as with other similar officers, have an appearance of being predatory, rather than regulatory and that is why I think they are disliked by many.

All this rubbish being said, it would have seemed like a good idea to have waved fines for New Years Day for any parked cars on municipal ground, provided they weren't causing an obstruction.

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Jan 3 2011, 02:27 PM
Post #58

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jan 3 2011, 12:25 PM) *

One assumes that you mean publicly owned controlled car parks.

Private companies can't fine (and soon won't be able to clamp)

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 3 2011, 04:06 PM
Post #59

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Jan 3 2011, 02:27 PM) *
One assumes that you mean publicly owned controlled car parks.

Private companies can't fine (and soon won't be able to clamp)

...but will still be able to lock gates, sue in civil courts etc.etc. be careful what you wish for!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 09:36 AM