> How low will they stoop?, Parking charges on New Year's Day
user23
post Jan 2 2011, 01:06 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Jan 2 2011, 11:24 AM) *
I used to be a senior manager for a supermarket retailer.
Unless you've asked every retailer across the country, you can't substantiate your statement that "All retail staff got paid extra yesterday". I suspect some didn't.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jan 2 2011, 01:11 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (user23 @ Jan 2 2011, 01:06 PM) *
Unless you've asked every retailer across the country, you can't substantiate your statement that "All retail staff got paid extra yesterday". I suspect some didn't.

'Some' is a small amount so the ayes have it. So you could give him it. Don't be so pedantic User23. It is a new year, your New years resolution should be that you will liven up.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jan 2 2011, 01:40 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (GMR @ Jan 2 2011, 01:00 PM) *
Expecting a council to do something differently would be a step too far. Their objective is themselves, not their public.

Their objectives are their public. In this instance the ones who bought parking tickets.

Normally posters on this forum would be up in arms about people who get drunk & are to hungover to collect their cars.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jan 2 2011, 01:47 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jan 2 2011, 01:40 PM) *
Their objectives are their public. In this instance the ones who bought parking tickets.

Some would disagree with you. And which public?

Normally posters on this forum would be up in arms about people who get drunk & are to hungover to collect their cars.

is there such a thing as a 'normal' poster?

'Posters' are up in arms about anything that tickles their fancy. It is early days at the moment so i am sure the drink and driving brigade will be on soon voicing their opinions and demanding certain people are shot.

Look at the bright-side; it soon will be Christmas again and we can go through all this again. wink.gif

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 2 2011, 03:13 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jan 2 2011, 01:40 PM) *
Their objectives are their public..........

Aaah a dose of seasonal wit. That's not how good old Adam Smith would see it! The truth of the matter accidentally let out in RG's earlier post where he said a WBC employee mentioned they'd get time and a half plus a day off in lieu for working the public holiday. What retail firm could afford to do both. Always easy to be generous with someone elses money!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Jan 2 2011, 04:47 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,076

My point being that the council line is that Saturday was "just another trading day" and that parking charges should apply. If council employees are being paid extra due to it being a public holiday, then surely that contradicts their parking policy?

User, everyone I have ever worked for class New Years Day, Easter Sunday and Christmas Day as public holidays. Did the council charge for parking last year?

+Quote Post
user23
post Jan 2 2011, 04:50 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jan 2 2011, 03:13 PM) *
Aaah a dose of seasonal wit. That's not how good old Adam Smith would see it! The truth of the matter accidentally let out in RG's earlier post where he said a WBC employee mentioned they'd get time and a half plus a day off in lieu for working the public holiday. What retail firm could afford to do both. Always easy to be generous with someone elses money!
Some folk will believe anything.

I wonder if this type of thing cancels itself out and there are people with similar views about Reading and Basingstoke charging to park on a Saturday who might be driving to Newbury in protest, or is this weirdness just confined to Newbury?

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jan 2 2011, 05:38 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jan 2 2011, 03:13 PM) *

RG did not say that the traffic wardens would get time and a half plus a day off in lieu for working the public holiday

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Jan 2 2011, 05:40 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

User, if you worked New Years Day, what would you get in addition to standard pay? Have you got an employee handbook?

+Quote Post
user23
post Jan 2 2011, 05:52 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Jan 2 2011, 05:40 PM) *
User, if you worked New Years Day, what would you get in addition to standard pay? Have you got an employee handbook?
I did do some work on New Years Day.

I'll get nothing for it, however as it was my choice to work I think that's fair enough.

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Jan 2 2011, 07:01 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

The rules changed somewhat when public holidays were added to the statutory days of holiday (ie when statutory holiday increased from 20 to 28 days). At the same time, I believe, freedom was given as to when these days could be taken.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Jan 2 2011, 07:03 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Jan 2 2011, 05:52 PM) *
I did do some work on New Years Day.

I'll get nothing for it, however as it was my choice to work I think that's fair enough.

What I mean is if you were asked to work. As in going out slapping tickets on windows.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jan 2 2011, 07:16 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I'd be suprised if many people got paid extra for working a normal Saturday. Whilst I think that the greenbacks are a waste of money and I don't agree with them being there at all, I think that in this instance there is not a valid complaint. Incidentally I got a ticket here on Boxing Day that cost me $190.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Jan 2 2011, 07:17 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

But I'm pretty sure New Year is actually a public holiday.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jan 2 2011, 07:50 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Jan 2 2011, 04:47 PM) *
My point being that the council line is that Saturday was "just another trading day" and that parking charges should apply.

No, the Library was closed, so WBC considered Saturday to be a bank holiday.

I agree with BMR. I saw the wardens ticketing the car parks Saturday and I think a good number of folk that parked would have assumed new years day to be a bank holiday and not got a ticket. I think it was very grubby not to make the parking free on Saturday.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jan 2 2011, 07:53 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Jan 2 2011, 08:50 PM) *

Maybe it will be open on Monday? I thinkthe library would be a different discussion if they have not kept to their published and agreed trading hours, whereas I do think the parking enforcements are clear, regardless of what WBC say, the bank holidays are not set by them.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Jan 2 2011, 08:04 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Jan 2 2011, 07:50 PM) *

I agree with BMR. I saw the wardens ticketing the car parks Saturday and I think a good number of folk that parked would have assumed new years day to be a bank holiday and not got a ticket. I think it was very grubby not to make the parking free on Saturday.

Simon, that's what I've been saying. The council line is the one that is suggesting Saturday was a normal trading day.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Jan 2 2011, 08:05 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jan 2 2011, 07:53 PM) *
Maybe it will be open on Monday? I thinkthe library would be a different discussion if they have not kept to their published and agreed trading hours, whereas I do think the parking enforcements are clear, regardless of what WBC say, the bank holidays are not set by them.

The parking enforcement was advertised in advance, so really the council can say there should be no arguments. I just think that parking should have been free, and on Christmas Day.

+Quote Post
Chesapeake
post Jan 2 2011, 08:35 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

Member No.: 205

Ok, I may have this all completely wrong but as far as I understand it if Christmas Day or New Years day fall on a Saturday or Sunday then the following Monday is made into the "Bank Holiday" as a Saturday or Sunday cannot be a "Bank Holiday". If I am wrong I am sure that someone will tell me! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Jan 2 2011, 08:38 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

You are right, but that is in addition to the day itself.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 09:07 AM