> Council Tax
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jul 21 2010, 12:36 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 60

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=14031

I wished that a list of properties was published where Council Tax has not been paid and the o/s debt for each house.

If I don't pay my C.Tax I'm sure that I would get an attachment to earnings.

"“The poorest in our society and those on benefits have their local taxes paid by central government. So it is not a question of can’t pay rather than won't pay.”

Is this is true then why are people that can afford to pay avoiding payment? If they are avoiding payment for months / years on end (I'm not talking about the odd missed payment or a returned DD for instance) why are they not having an attachment to earnings applied or properties secured by a baliff (if they are self employed) to service the debt.

I have to pay. You have to pay. MAKE THEM PAY. angry.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Jul 21 2010, 02:04 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

The article does not say how these sums are made up. These householders and businesses could have died, gone bankrupt or moved away.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 21 2010, 02:11 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

Notwithstanding that some claims might be erroneous. Although I doubt that is over £1m worth.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jul 21 2010, 02:12 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Jul 21 2010, 03:04 PM) *
The article does not say how these sums are made up. These householders and businesses could have died, gone bankrupt or moved away.

I agree - A breakdown of the figures would be beneficial. Especially if we are to have a more transparent society.

+Quote Post
Rosewinelover
post Jul 21 2010, 02:22 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 966

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jul 21 2010, 01:36 PM) *
http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=14031

I wished that a list of properties was published where Council Tax has not been paid and the o/s debt for each house.

If I don't pay my C.Tax I'm sure that I would get an attachment to earnings.

"“The poorest in our society and those on benefits have their local taxes paid by central government. So it is not a question of can’t pay rather than won't pay.”

Is this is true then why are people that can afford to pay avoiding payment? If they are avoiding payment for months / years on end (I'm not talking about the odd missed payment or a returned DD for instance) why are they not having an attachment to earnings applied or properties secured by a baliff (if they are self employed) to service the debt.

I have to pay. You have to pay. MAKE THEM PAY. angry.gif

I missed a payment once - totally forgot - and I received a letter stating I had to pay it within 10 days else I would have to pay the whole amount owing. It was a really frightening letter explaining what would happen if I ignored making a payment. That was enough for me to ensure i never forget a payment. How can other people get away with it? How can they still be allowed to live in their home without payment? It makes me really angry.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jul 21 2010, 02:29 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

On the face of it this situation is totally unacceptable unless there is a genuine reason for the non-payment.
It is grossly unfair that the majority of us pay up on time and yet a small number of individuals and businesses appear to be getting away with it.
Does anyone have any more info about this?

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 21 2010, 05:26 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

If you do miss a payment (and your ten days) you are nobbled with an £80 fine. So actually the ones who don't pay on time are paying far more. If they don't ay at all obviously all the £80 fines probably don't get paid either.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jul 21 2010, 07:59 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

It's dead easy to avoid missing a payment - just set up a direct debit and forget all about it.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:17 AM