Hugh Saskin
post Jul 23 2009, 09:32 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 37

Within eight years, says DaFT

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/rail/pi/railelectrification.pdf

Good news for passengers, ultimately, although Kintbury passengers etc, will have to change at Newbury. Good news for home owners, too, as the value of properties always tend to go up if they are near a station with electric trains to London, making it attractive for commuters. Not such good news for those locals seeking to buy a home, perhaps...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jul 23 2009, 10:13 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Jul 23 2009, 10:32 AM) *

Good news for passengers, ultimately, although Kintbury passengers etc, will have to change at Newbury. Good news for home owners, too, as the value of properties always tend to go up if they are near a station with electric trains to London, making it attractive for commuters. Not such good news for those locals seeking to buy a home, perhaps...

The drunks crossing the line in the night at Newbury station may have a bit of a 'shock' coming to them then.

+Quote Post
GrumblingAgain
post Jul 23 2009, 10:16 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jul 23 2009, 11:13 AM) *
The drunks crossing the line in the night at Newbury station may have a bit of a 'shock' coming to them then.

Why? huh.gif

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jul 23 2009, 10:20 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (GrumblingAgain @ Jul 23 2009, 11:16 AM) *
Why? huh.gif

Agreed - why indeed? It will be overhead - not old-fashioned Southern third rail stuff.

+Quote Post
GrumblingAgain
post Jul 23 2009, 10:31 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Jul 23 2009, 10:32 AM) *

Will it really happen though or is it just another in a long line of Labour's lies and broken promises?

With massive cut backs looming, although beneficial, won't it be scaled back or halted altogether by a Government seeking to save money by spending on only essential projects?

Before you get excited over the thought of shiney new electrical trains coming our way! - new trains will be built for the London to Bristol and Swansea route, but they are unlikely to get used on our commuter services to Newbury! It is rumoured that Newbury/Oxford will only get hand-me-down stock from other lines around the country and so we will end up with second-hand and rather old trains, which probably won't offer any commuter benefits other than a lack of diesel smell.

+Quote Post
Johngreybeard
post Jul 23 2009, 11:03 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 214

QUOTE (GrumblingAgain @ Jul 23 2009, 11:31 AM) *
Will it really happen though or is it just another in a long line of Labour's lies and broken promises?

With massive cut backs looming, although beneficial, won't it be scaled back or halted altogether by a Government seeking to save money by spending on only essential projects?

Before you get excited over the thought of shiney new electrical trains coming our way! - new trains will be built for the London to Bristol and Swansea route, but they are unlikely to get used on our commuter services to Newbury! It is rumoured that Newbury/Oxford will only get hand-me-down stock from other lines around the country and so we will end up with second-hand and rather old trains, which probably won't offer any commuter benefits other than a lack of diesel smell.

+Quote Post
Johngreybeard
post Jul 23 2009, 11:05 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 214

You are quite right about the standatd of trains we would get just look at what has happened in other parts of the country! But it should make the journey quicker and no smell of diesel!!!!

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Jul 23 2009, 11:09 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GrumblingAgain @ Jul 23 2009, 11:31 AM) *

According to the DfT - Class 319 units, currently working the Thameslink services, will be refurbished and equipped with air con, these are sure to be able to accelerate better than the moth eaten FGW diesel stuff we have now on local trains. I'd always assumed that faster acceleration between station stops meant shorter journey times.

Never heard of an electrification scheme being abandoned altogether, except for some London Transport lines north of the river which bit the dust as a result of WW2. Delayed, perhaps, but it's most certainly a move in the right direction, unless you are a regular user of Thatcham Level Crossing tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Branston Pickle
post Jul 23 2009, 12:15 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 183

Am I alone in thinking that only electrifying as far as Newbury is a bit pointless? It either means running diesel trains on an electric line, or else everyone changing at Newbury. I once heard that running diesel trains on a electric line is quite expensive, so would probably result in a hike in fares. The other alternative would seem to involve running quite a few extra trains, again leading to a rise in fares. It will possibly also mean that Newbury will lose express services to London and the West country, as the HST's will be replaced by electric units that couldn't operate west of Newbury.

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Jul 23 2009, 12:55 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Branston Pickle @ Jul 23 2009, 01:15 PM) *
Am I alone in thinking that only electrifying as far as Newbury is a bit pointless? It either means running diesel trains on an electric line, or else everyone changing at Newbury. I once heard that running diesel trains on a electric line is quite expensive, so would probably result in a hike in fares. The other alternative would seem to involve running quite a few extra trains, again leading to a rise in fares. It will possibly also mean that Newbury will lose express services to London and the West country, as the HST's will be replaced by electric units that couldn't operate west of Newbury.

It's a start, I suppose, like when they only electrified from Kings X to Royston before going through to Cambridge and Kings Lynn a few years later. Diesel trains come up from Salisbury and beyond now, running from west of B'stoke and into Waterloo on an electrified railway and have done since 1967. Sadly the HSTs are about worn out, 30 plus years old, and will have to be replaced within the next ten years anyway - they have been a phenomenal British success story. I think they propose some kind of dual power replacement for them, these being able to take electric power when under the 25 k.v. wires. One benefit of electrification should be a much enhanced service from Newbury to Padd (at the moment it doesn't compare well with that available from B'stoke into London), it is to be regretted nationally that we have so many railway routes not yet electrified - St Pancras to Sheffield being a very good example. As for financing it all, you may depend that the farepayer will contribute handsomely whatever happens.

+Quote Post
GrumblingAgain
post Jul 23 2009, 01:52 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Jul 23 2009, 12:09 PM) *
According to the DfT - Class 319 units, currently working the Thameslink services, will be refurbished and equipped with air con, these are sure to be able to accelerate better than the moth eaten FGW diesel stuff we have now on local trains. I'd always assumed that faster acceleration between station stops meant shorter journey times.

Never heard of an electrification scheme being abandoned altogether, except for some London Transport lines north of the river which bit the dust as a result of WW2. Delayed, perhaps, but it's most certainly a move in the right direction, unless you are a regular user of Thatcham Level Crossing tongue.gif

So we wont be getting new trains for the local services, as I thought. It will be second hand units which are actually older than the current Turbo units (just!), but of course younger than the highly successful 125s which are used to some extent on commuter services.

Sure they will be refurbished, but then so can our current stock if need be!

I don't see that 319 trains will be anymore comfortable than the existing commuter stock, although the extra 10mph in maximum speed would shave a bit of time off the end to end journey times, along with slightly better acceleration times, but unless the train makes multiple stops it won't save that much time, and no one wants to be on a train that stops at most stations between Reading and London!

I wasn't suggesting the whole complete project would get abandoned once started, but I am not convinced it will actually start! I reckon all we will get is an extension of the London Cross Rail electrification scheme to Reading and then onwards to Newbury & Oxford, whilst the main line West to Bristol/Swansea gets shelved in favour of more modern new diesels (which would then cover all the Westward routes like now).

Electrification is of course the right way to go, and as you say, a start, but I would have perferred to see a more dramatical approach - electrify the main lines to Swansea, Bristol etc, and all the Thames Valley branches, but rebuild for 6-12 length trains and raise bridges sufficiently to allow for double decker trains. GWML is better suited for that once all overbridges are raised. Now that would have really tackled the overcrowding problems rather than just a few minutes shaved off the end to end journey.

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Jul 23 2009, 03:50 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GrumblingAgain @ Jul 23 2009, 02:52 PM) *
Sure they will be refurbished, but then so can our current stock if need be!

I don't see that 319 trains will be anymore comfortable than the existing commuter stock, although the extra 10mph in maximum speed would shave a bit of time off the end to end journey times, along with slightly better acceleration times, but unless the train makes multiple stops it won't save that much time, and no one wants to be on a train that stops at most stations between Reading and London!

If you refurbish the turbos they still won't be much cop, they don't even have corridor connections between the sets, hardly a good thing for a suburban train and going into Reading I am amazed at how sluggish the acceleration is on them. An electric train will easily outpace them - as for comfort (I always feel like having a good scratch when I get off a turbo in case any fleas have climbed on to me, btw) afraid the DafT don't appear too concerned about that - squeeezing the maximum number of seats into a vehicle seems to be the game now, irrespective of legroom and we all know what the train operators other business is, don't we?

+Quote Post
GrumblingAgain
post Jul 23 2009, 05:12 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Jul 23 2009, 04:50 PM) *
If you refurbish the turbos they still won't be much cop, they don't even have corridor connections between the sets, hardly a good thing for a suburban train and going into Reading I am amazed at how sluggish the acceleration is on them. An electric train will easily outpace them - as for comfort (I always feel like having a good scratch when I get off a turbo in case any fleas have climbed on to me, btw) afraid the DafT don't appear too concerned about that - squeeezing the maximum number of seats into a vehicle seems to be the game now, irrespective of legroom and we all know what the train operators other business is, don't we?

The comfort levels on them will be no better than the current turbos. Instead of the noise from the engines under the train all you will get is the high pitched whine of the electrics and that will be it!

Regarding connections between units, I am not toally sure, but aren't they for emergency use only and would not be used normally?

What we will end up with in 2017 or whenever will be vastly inferior to what is being touted right now! I am sure the London to Bristol/Swansea services will be brilliant, but I am not convinced about London to Newbury/Oxford services! wink.gif

Now if we were getting 140+mph units like those just introduced between Ashford and St Pancras that would clearly justify the £1Billion bill (bound to be £4Billion by 2017) tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Jul 23 2009, 06:16 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GrumblingAgain @ Jul 23 2009, 06:12 PM) *
The comfort levels on them will be no better than the current turbos. Instead of the noise from the engines under the train all you will get is the high pitched whine of the electrics and that will be it!

Regarding connections between units, I am not toally sure, but aren't they for emergency use only and would not be used normally?

What we will end up with in 2017 or whenever will be vastly inferior to what is being touted right now! I am sure the London to Bristol/Swansea services will be brilliant, but I am not convinced about London to Newbury/Oxford services! wink.gif

Now if we were getting 140+mph units like those just introduced between Ashford and St Pancras that would clearly justify the £1Billion bill (bound to be £4Billion by 2017) tongue.gif

Oh, yeah - I am too used to travelling with SWT on the modern stuff - of course the 319s only have front doors, sorry! With air con on refurbished units the noise levels bound to be lower, can't say I ever find the noise of the diesel engines under the floor of turbos particularly intrusive, anyway. Dream on regarding those Javelins - that certainly won't be happening - but to think in the 60s, the whole future for rail travel looked grim

+Quote Post
Darren
post Jul 23 2009, 07:01 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Jul 23 2009, 12:09 PM) *
Delayed, perhaps, but it's most certainly a move in the right direction, unless you are a regular user of Thatcham Level Crossing tongue.gif

You never know, they may take the opportunity to replace said crossing with a bridge. It's been talked about enough over the years.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 23 2009, 07:46 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

I saw this on the news tonight; it will make it a lot cheaper all around.

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Jul 23 2009, 08:27 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

In case anyone is that interested in such details, this is how it's supposed to pan out in respect of rolling stock moves:

319s cascaded from Thameslink to GW Thames Valley in December 2016
165s cascaded from GW Thames Valley to GW Bristol area (probably Cardiff – Portsmouth) in December 2016;
DMUs from Bristol area that are freed up when 165s are parachuted in, to be cascaded to Northern to boost capacity in December 2016;
New four car EMUs to be procured to operate Manchester – Scotland TransPennine Express services, delivery 2013;
Class 185 DMUs freed up when new EMUs enter service to be used to strengthen existing 185 operated TPE services in 2013
319s cascaded from Thameslink to Northern electrified routes in 2013 (or earlier);
Super-duper express replacing HSTs across all the GW from December 2016

HSTs freed up for the Voyager replacement project (tee hee);
Pacer replacement project, starting with Northern at franchise renewal in 2013 and continuing with ATW in 2018.

By that time, we should be into long (15 year) franchises, allowing the TOCs to commit to new trains with some forward thinking.

Unless of course the Tories turn the juice off...

+Quote Post
GrumblingAgain
post Jul 23 2009, 08:34 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Jul 23 2009, 09:27 PM) *
By that time, we should be into long (15 year) franchises, allowing the TOCs to commit to new trains with some forward thinking.

Unless of course the Tories turn the juice off...

I hope we get a regular interval service throughout the day up to the last train from Reading around midnight - 1am. Wouldn't it be nice if you could leave Paddington around the 11:30 - 00:00 time and still get home, like many other places the same distance from the capital can do.

I hate the long gap between trains from Reading mid to late evening we have at the moment.

I am almost certain the Tories will do so angry.gif

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jul 24 2009, 09:41 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (GrumblingAgain @ Jul 23 2009, 09:34 PM) *
I am almost certain the Tories will do so angry.gif

Good. Branson, National Express & Stagecoach have all made way too much dosh out of the tax payer 'running' the rail service in this country.

+Quote Post
Darren
post Jul 24 2009, 09:57 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

Give me Virgin Trains any day over Last Worst Western. It's like travelling in another world.

Perhaps they should electrify everything out of Paddington. That way the marvellous Brunel Roof will stay cleaner for longer.

He'll be spinning in his grave at the way his legacy is treated now.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:32 AM