Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Diane Abbott, should she walk?
Phil_D11102
post Jan 6 2012, 12:03 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 846

There is no disguising that this was a racist comment. If John Terry can be arrested and charged for making a racist comment, why hasn't Diane Abbott been arrested and charged.

Sorry, but if I made a comment at work that was considered racist, my feet wouldn't hit the floor on the way out the door.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 6 2012, 02:22 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

It is made worse by her lack of contrition. She doesn't seem to think it is wrong to classify a specific section of the community as all the same. She was forced to apologise, which if you read it, is the thinnest apology you could make.

+Quote Post
user23
post Jan 6 2012, 09:43 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

Now Ed Milliband's at it.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Jan 6 2012, 11:34 PM
Post #24

Guests

QUOTE (Ron @ Jan 6 2012, 11:34 AM) *
Note Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera hasn't come up with any reply!

Lol that made me laugh. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 7 2012, 12:35 AM
Post #25

Advanced Member

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Jan 6 2012, 11:34 PM) *
Lol that made me laugh. laugh.gif

Why is it funny?

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Jan 7 2012, 02:13 AM
Post #26

Guests

Laughter doth not require explanation.

It's funny because it just reminded me of something I was talking with someone about earlier, and in answer to your next question, no I won't tell you what it was because I'll be thrown in jail for 40 years and 40 nights.

But on a serious point;

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 6 2012, 02:22 PM) *
It is made worse by her lack of contrition. She doesn't seem to think it is wrong to classify a specific section of the community as all the same. She was forced to apologise, which if you read it, is the thinnest apology you could make.

Is it just me or do any of these so called apologies by MPs ever come across as more than just a "have to say it to save face"... I'd rather someone not apologise and simply say they meant it, or that it was not meant viciously and people (as is so often the case) choose the worst context.. "oh i'm sorry i said blahblah, deeply inappropriate" sorry to anyone who was offended who wants tea round my house?"

All of the apologies seem shallow...not just this womans.

QUOTE (Phil_D11102 @ Jan 6 2012, 12:03 PM) *
There is no disguising that this was a racist comment. If John Terry can be arrested and charged for making a racist comment, why hasn't Diane Abbott been arrested and charged.

Well I'm sure if you said what she said you wouldn't be out the door at all.

That's not a racist comment, calling someone a n****r or a c**n or saying they should **** off back to their own country is quite different, especially in context to saying "those white folk divide and conquer".

I mean exactly HOW PC do you want this country to become?

I love joking with my black friends about how they stole the new car they are driving or about how my asian friends always eat egg fry rie...it's all taken in good humour. Obviously I wouldn't say that to a random person but it's the sort of off-the-cuff remark one may make...

It's important to be able to comment and/or joke about racism because otherwise, in 10 years we will be back to the whole slave and the master thing again.

Personally as a white person I find absolutely no offence in saying that I/we divide and conquer.

Finding humour in "dark" topics can only bright them closer to the light and while I think everyone laughs at a racist joke by someone like Frankie Boyle, who actually believes he's being serious? There is a difference between gently poking fun and being malicious and I don't really think this was malicious.

In context saying white people divide and conquer, which frankly if you look at the governments of the world and how everything is, is actually a very fair comment to make (except with Obama he is half black)

QUOTE (user23 @ Jan 6 2012, 09:43 PM) *

Yeah generally a tweet is sent from a Mobile device which if you've ever used one of those new fangled iPhones is VERY easy to make. I suffer from dyslexia and sometimes if I am thinking about more than what I'm going to eat for dinner I could very easily write blackbusters when I meant blockbusters. I could also end up writing cheese, or cakes, or "please mummy don't make me live in the shed anymore".

He should be thankful it wasn't in the context of ghostbusters because that would imply some very nasty goings-on!!

+Quote Post
NORTHENDER
post Jan 7 2012, 09:24 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,173

Thumbs up to all of the above for me.

+Quote Post
user23
post Jan 7 2012, 11:03 AM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

I tweet quite a bit from my Android phone.

Like an iPhone it has predictive text, so I wondered how he managed to type "Blackbusters".

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Jan 7 2012, 11:18 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

Perhaps he is a bad speller?

The Milliband issue is a diversion.

Ms Abbott is a 'professional' politician and mouthpiece. No such thing as bad publicity. Her 'personal recognition' score will have increased massively this week and she sees that as profit.
(IMHO)

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 7 2012, 11:23 AM
Post #30

Advanced Member

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Jan 7 2012, 02:13 AM) *
Laughter doth not require explanation.

It's funny because it just reminded me of something I was talking with someone about earlier, and in answer to your next question, no I won't tell you what it was because I'll be thrown in jail for 40 years and 40 nights.

Sorry, but that is a feeble reply. I'd like to know what you found funny about Ron's rather spiteful post. OK, you have no obligation to me to do so, but it makes you party to the same view.

My view on Ms Abbott, isn't about making a racist remark, or being racist, it that she is on the front bench of the Labour Party. She clearly holds values and opinions that are not consistent with the party. On top of that, remarks like that only 'help' fuel social dis-harmony. This is made worse because she clearly isn't sorry. She need not be sorry, but she should consider her position.

We are paying for this apparent racist to hold office.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jan 7 2012, 11:47 AM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

^^ Something we agree on! ^^

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Jan 7 2012, 11:51 AM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Can you imagine the fuss she would make if dismissed? Uncle Ed needs no such bovver and will follow expediency. Ms Abbott, if I remember, has previous for having the party toe her line.....

+Quote Post
Weavers Walk
post Jan 7 2012, 01:38 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,234

She has. She said the Iraq war was illegal and voted against it. Apparently Blair was less than amused.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Jan 7 2012, 03:45 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Weavers Walk @ Jan 7 2012, 01:38 PM) *
She has. She said the Iraq war was illegal and voted against it. Apparently Blair was less than amused.

I didn't say she was always wrong....
laugh.gif

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Jan 7 2012, 11:13 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

Could it be that she has valid views, but hasn't got a clue as to how to get them across?

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 8 2012, 08:28 AM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (x2lls @ Jan 7 2012, 11:13 PM) *
Could it be that she has valid views, but hasn't got a clue as to how to them across?

You are probably pretty much there. One of those situations where the much maligned media studies courses would hep her enormously.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 8 2012, 09:55 AM
Post #37

Advanced Member

QUOTE (x2lls @ Jan 7 2012, 11:13 PM) *
Could it be that she has valid views, but hasn't got a clue as to how to get them across?

That's what politicians are meant to be able to do.

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Jan 8 2012, 10:01 AM
Post #38

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 8 2012, 09:55 AM) *
That's what politicians are meant to be able to do.

Racism will never be stopped, it can not be legislated out. You can make 'em change their words, but you will never change their thoughts. At least, there is now open debate. BTW, I've searched for this on BBC, found nowt. Daily Mail however, different story. In fact another accusation re cabbies!

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 8 2012, 10:15 AM
Post #39

Advanced Member

QUOTE (x2lls @ Jan 8 2012, 10:01 AM) *
Racism will never be stopped, it can not be legislated out. You can make 'em change their words, but you will never change their thoughts. At least, there is now open debate. BTW, I've searched for this on BBC, found nowt. Daily Mail however, different story. In fact another accusation re cabbies!

That isn't my point. She shouldn't change her words, just her job.

+Quote Post
Roost
post Jan 8 2012, 05:06 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 31

Just read Rod Liddle's comment on this in the Times.

I concur, for once he makes sense!!

--------------------
Roost

Welcome to the jungle....

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:01 AM