Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Public Sector Strikes
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jun 8 2010, 02:04 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 60

With the defecit reduction plan due to be announced in an Emergency Budget shortly do you think the Public Sector will put up with freezes / reductions in pay and also large scale redundancies or are we to expect a 'Winter of Discontent' similar to that of the 1970s?

I ask because the Private Sector has been through the pain of cut backs without striking (we would lose our jobs as we are mainly none unionised).

Those of you who work in the Public Sector - Will you put up with redundancies in your department and zero wage increases for the foreseeable future?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jun 8 2010, 02:25 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

I have a suggestion for a quick way to save money locally, and which would be highly popular: disband the hated army of little green parking enforcement men. It's like a police state on the streets of Newbury right now.

A second saving could be made by reducing waste collections to once every two weeks - not a major inconvenience to most people I would think.

On the original topic, 5% pay cuts in the public sector in Spain don't seem to be too popular.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jun 8 2010, 02:37 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jun 8 2010, 03:25 PM) *
I have a suggestion for a quick way to save money locally, and which would be highly popular: disband the hated army of little green parking enforcement men. It's like a police state on the streets of Newbury right now.

A second saving could be made by reducing waste collections to once every two weeks - not a major inconvenience to most people I would think.

On the original topic, 5% pay cuts in the public sector in Spain don't seem to be too popular.

Two sensible suggestions I think.
The puplic sector has to agree that it is now necessary to accept possble pay cuts/freezes and reorganisation and inevitable redundancies in order to pull the country out of the financial mess that it is now in.
Putting the "puplic services head" in the sand won't solve the problem however a fair and eqitable across the board analysis to determine where the most effective and justified cuts can be made is crucial.
The private sector and public at large must be willing to accept reduced services and the inconveniences that that will bring.
Also the present benefits culture enjoyed by so many must be cut so that only those really in need can claim and those that can work are encouraged to do so.
This will be long and painfull but in my view it has to be faced.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
ossy1
post Jun 8 2010, 02:50 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jun 8 2010, 03:04 PM) *
With the defecit reduction plan due to be announced in an Emergency Budget shortly do you think the Public Sector will put up with freezes / reductions in pay and also large scale redundancies or are we to expect a 'Winter of Discontent' similar to that of the 1970s?

I ask because the Private Sector has been through the pain of cut backs without striking (we would lose our jobs as we are mainly none unionised).

Those of you who work in the Public Sector - Will you put up with redundancies in your department and zero wage increases for the foreseeable future?

DO we get a choice??? NO

Can I do anything about it?? NO. Not allowed to strike am I and even if I could what would it achieve, nothing.

However I would avoid spain for a bit because there public sector workers are all geared up for walk outs soon!! Happy holidays.

+Quote Post
Roost
post Jun 8 2010, 03:13 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 31

Ossy1 am I right in recalling that your a police person?

If so and all da police did go on strike, who would arrest you.......?!

huh.gif

--------------------
Roost

Welcome to the jungle....

+Quote Post
ossy1
post Jun 8 2010, 04:12 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Roost @ Jun 8 2010, 04:13 PM) *
Ossy1 am I right in recalling that your a police person?

If so and all da police did go on strike, who would arrest you.......?!

huh.gif

Specials!!! LOL

+Quote Post
user23
post Jun 8 2010, 06:12 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

Local government has already been through the pain of cutbacks over the past few years so it's difficult to see where more savings could be made without affecting services. As I understand it Amey tried to find savings without affecting services and couldn't do it and there have been even more cuts to funding since then.

I think the real question is, what would we like to see the public sector do less of. Someone has already said less frequent waste collections and cut backs to enforcing the local by-laws, both valid suggestions.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jun 8 2010, 06:16 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

I'd suggest you're being very selective in what you might classify as 'Private Sector going through the pain without striking'?

errm... is BA 'Public' or 'Private' sector? Similar question for Royal Mail.... What about BT who have now announced that they're going to offer 2% in the hope of keeping the Union activists at bay? London Tube staff have voted to strike in July.... it goes on....

+Quote Post
Roost
post Jun 8 2010, 06:17 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 31

Perhaps they can look at seeing what added benefits can be obtained from those claiming benefits, those who 'can't' work.

Maybe they can complete tasks on behalf of the tax payers to achieve their benefits rather than just have them handed on a plate....?!

--------------------
Roost

Welcome to the jungle....

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jun 8 2010, 06:22 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (user23 @ Jun 8 2010, 07:12 PM) *
I think the real question is, what would we like to see the public sector do less of. Someone has already said less frequent waste collections and cut backs to enforcing the local by-laws, both valid suggestions.

I thought waste collections were sub-contracted already?

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jun 8 2010, 06:27 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

I think you might see the braziers being dusted off again, for setting up outside local fire stations and the air to be filled with the noise of passing motorists responding to the "Toot if you're with us" banners. (But with perhaps a few less people 'tooting')

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jun 8 2010, 06:52 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

disband the hated army of little green parking enforcement men. It's like a police state on the streets of Newbury right now.
A great idea I think.... Yellow lines? Parking 'restrictions'? Nah, let's have a free for all. Park wherever you want for as long as you want....

Of course having cars parked up all day outside some high street retailers within walking distance of the train station will prevent 'passing trade' from being able to park up and nip in for a shop.... but if some local traders have to go to the wall so that London commuters can park all day for free that's a small price to pay to rid WBC of this tyranny of green meanies.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jun 8 2010, 07:01 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

I'm not sure that would be a great saving. unsure.gif

I find the current situation is ideal. If it were to extend to fortnightly, we could be struggling for where to put the waste. You know, those pesky foxes! wink.gif

It wouldn't anywhere. sad.gif

+Quote Post
user23
post Jun 8 2010, 07:21 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jun 8 2010, 08:01 PM) *
I'm not sure that would be a great saving. unsure.gif
Me neither. An answer would be for them to issue more tickets and to remove the subsidy funded by our council tax from the current parking charges. This seems to work well in Brighton and the council actually makes money from parking and parking enforcement, meaning the citizens of Brighton get slightly cheaper council tax.

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Jun 8 2010, 09:16 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

QUOTE (user23 @ Jun 8 2010, 07:21 PM) *
Me neither. An answer would be for them to issue more tickets and to remove the subsidy funded by our council tax from the current parking charges. This seems to work well in Brighton and the council actually makes money from parking and parking enforcement, meaning the citizens of Brighton get slightly cheaper council tax.

They had better not be; to raise revenue as you suggest would be unlawful and outwith the regulations covering decriminalised parking enforcement.

+Quote Post
gardeb
post Jun 8 2010, 09:36 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 570

QUOTE (user23 @ Jun 8 2010, 07:21 PM) *

So the motorist IS a "cash cow" after all.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jun 8 2010, 09:46 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (spartacus @ Jun 8 2010, 07:52 PM) *
A great idea I think.... Yellow lines? Parking 'restrictions'? Nah, let's have a free for all. Park wherever you want for as long as you want....

There's a big difference between anarchy and over-zealous enforcement (which is what we have now).

I recently had to take an elderly lady to the dentist in Bartholomew Street. The only place nearby I could park was in a loading bay and she needed an arm to walk (slowly) the short distance remaining. I was expecting one of these "gentlemen" to pounce on my car at any moment - this is what it is like in Newbury now : you live in fear of being booked.

How did it work before? I don't recall people abandoning their cars wherever they felt like it before the new lot were brought in.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jun 8 2010, 10:57 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jun 8 2010, 10:46 PM) *
How did it work before? I don't recall people abandoning their cars wherever they felt like it before the new lot were brought in.

recollection not what it was eh?

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jun 9 2010, 06:01 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jun 8 2010, 10:46 PM) *
There's a big difference between anarchy and over-zealous enforcement (which is what we have now).

I recently had to take an elderly lady to the dentist in Bartholomew Street. The only place nearby I could park was in a loading bay and she needed an arm to walk (slowly) the short distance remaining. I was expecting one of these "gentlemen" to pounce on my car at any moment - this is what it is like in Newbury now : you live in fear of being booked.

I know this thread is going off topic as someone will probably remind me but the point here is what are these Parking Enforcement Officers here to achieve?

Is it for the general good of the public in keeping the streets clear in which case why are we complaining?

Or is it to simply raise money, which they bare not doing at the moment, so why are they there?

Surely anything the Council implements must be to the benefit of the people yet many complain.

As Spartacus points out - do we have a general free-for-all with parking in Newbury - or do we enforce the regulations?

If not either then where is the line drawn?

(Although I will admit that getting booked for parking in a free car park is taking it too far!)

+Quote Post
ossy1
post Jun 9 2010, 06:31 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

I don't like the idea of fornightly bin collections mine are full after a week goodness knows what it's like for a big family.

A shake up of the benefits system would save alot of money. Make it a last resort income rather than a first resort.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:33 AM