> Unacceptable comment from Crime Reduction Adviser
gel
post Dec 7 2010, 08:07 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 337

I notice this in News section:
“Most burglars are opportunists and by putting your tree in the window and displaying presents under it, you are effectively letting burglars go window shopping in your home."

Do they (TVP) expect us all to put up steel shutters to counter lack of police presence/lack of judicial bite re sentencing??
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Dec 7 2010, 08:43 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

It seems like a reasonable comment to me, although it might help fuel the flames of the fear of crime.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Dec 7 2010, 08:47 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Iommi @ Dec 7 2010, 08:43 PM) *
It seems like a reasonable comment to me, although it might help fuel the flames of the fear of crime.

I agree. If you are going to advertise what you've got then you must expect somebody to come in and help themselves.

what about net-curtains etc? In this day and age people would be very silly to advertise what they've got in their house.

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Dec 7 2010, 10:40 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

Just box up some rubbish, gift wrap it and leave it by the door.

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Dec 7 2010, 10:49 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I agree with you X2, although I guess if it's a crime reduction adviser then they are probably correct.It would be nice though if the police just focused on nicking criminals, so that they are not around to window shop in the first place.

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Dec 8 2010, 01:13 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

Beats me why our law geezers don't set up stings all over the place.

Scenario....

Little sh1te has noisy boom boom car confiscated.
Confiscated car( now a free asset) decorated with cameras and loaded with prezzies.
Local scumbags rob/vandalise (Local= scumbags from another town, do not poo on own doorstep).
Scumbags bang to rights.

Perhaps wannabe scumbags think twice (if scumbags have brain)

OH, sorry, we can't do that because we have already spent £42 billion on protecting said scumbags. 'uman rights, bugger the rest of us. It's OK, taxpayer has bottomless pocket.

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Dec 8 2010, 08:54 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (Strafin @ Dec 7 2010, 10:49 PM) *
I agree with you X2, although I guess if it's a crime reduction adviser then they are probably correct.It would be nice though if the police just focused on nicking criminals, so that they are not around to window shop in the first place.

It would be even better if those that did get caught were punished severely enough to think twice before doing it again. But I know I am being niave.
It is getting to be that law abiding folk to have to adopt a "fortress" mentality to protect what they have worked hard for.
I had hoped that this new government would be making inroads into crime reduction but sadly there seems to be precious little evidence.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Bartholomew
post Dec 8 2010, 09:13 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 261

QUOTE (Iommi @ Dec 7 2010, 08:43 PM) *

I was reading an interesting case of car theft in South Africa (a place that has stupendous crime figures) where the car was stolen after the keys were left in the ignition. The judges comment was that a driver was entitled to leave the keys in their car without expectation of it being stolen. It make me wonder who has the best approach.

+Quote Post
Rosewinelover
post Dec 8 2010, 09:33 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 966

QUOTE (GMR @ Dec 7 2010, 08:47 PM) *
what about net-curtains etc? In this day and age people would be very silly to advertise what they've got in their house.

Net curtains?! Urgh. Like my lovely neighbours whose Nets are lovely and yellow ohmy.gif

“Most burglars are opportunists and by putting your tree in the window and displaying presents under it, you are effectively letting burglars go window shopping in your home."

Isn't the above statement commom sense? It's like leaving your satnav/phone on the car seat open for anyone to see and potentially steal.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Dec 8 2010, 09:36 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Rosewinelover @ Dec 8 2010, 09:33 AM) *
Net curtains?! Urgh. Like my lovely neighbours whose Nets are lovely and yellow ohmy.gif

Isn't the above statement commom sense? It's like leaving your satnav/phone on the car seat open for anyone to see and potentially steal.

The problem is that the inference of the comment is that if you are careless enough to leave presents in your own house in view of a window then you deserve to have them stolen and you are an idiot.

So as the Crown Jewels are on display sometimes they won't mind me having them away? blink.gif

+Quote Post
Rosewinelover
post Dec 8 2010, 09:54 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Dec 8 2010, 09:36 AM) *
The problem is that the inference of the comment is that if you are careless enough to leave presents in your own house in view of a window then you deserve to have them stolen and you are an idiot.

I know this sounds harsh but yes, that is your own fault and you are an idiot (not you personally), but everyone knows around this time of year we need to be more careful. I don't leave items in my car open for anyone to see, and if I did leave my phone (all though can't see anyone wanting to steal it, it's ancient, lol) or purse etc and someone smashed my window to steal it is my own fault! Really should know better. Likewise I do not leave an open invitation for burglars to come in my home and steal from me, which is quite easy as I live in a maisonette and they can't see into my home as I'm above!

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Dec 8 2010, 09:55 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Rosewinelover @ Dec 8 2010, 09:33 AM) *

Yes, today it is common sense but what has gone wrong with our society that we so willingly accept that we are likely to be robbed and that it is our fault because we are careless to leave our belongings on show probably inadvertantly.
The law should be protecting us not chastising us. It is the criminals that are in the wrong, not us.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Rosewinelover
post Dec 8 2010, 09:58 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Dec 8 2010, 09:55 AM) *
Yes, today it is common sense but what has gone wrong with our society that we so willingly accept that we are likely to be robbed and that it is our fault because we are careless to leave our belongings on show probably inadvertantly.
The law should be protecting us not chastising us. It is the criminals that are in the wrong, not us.

Totally agree, of course the criminals are wrong, but we know what kind of country we live in so we shouldn't give them any reason to want to come in our home and steal. I sleep with a bat by the side of my bed for fear of someone breaking in, I would hopefully knock them out before they stole anything but it would be me in prison not them. It's very rare for the law to protect the innocent in certain cases.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Dec 8 2010, 10:15 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Rosewinelover @ Dec 8 2010, 09:58 AM) *
Totally agree, of course the criminals are wrong, but we know what kind of country we live in so we shouldn't give them any reason to want to come in our home and steal. I sleep with a bat by the side of my bed for fear of someone breaking in, I would hopefully knock them out before they stole anything but it would be me in prison not them. It's very rare for the law to protect the innocent in certain cases.

I've been burgled and it is a truely unpleasant experience having had taken from me irreplacable items that had sentimental value. It has changed the way that I live and impacted on my quality of life as I now have to shut and lock everything even to pop out for ten minutes.
The police were impotent in responding to the crime regarding the response timescale and apprending the scum that did it. Even if he had been caught he would have probably have got a lenient sentence as seems to be the case these days.
I believe all of us should be contacting our MP and demanding that we are afforded better protection.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Dec 8 2010, 11:10 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

So you are intent on commiting GBH against some innocent Burglar. Tut. Tut. Prison for you. Take her down.

+Quote Post
Chesapeake
post Dec 8 2010, 11:13 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 205

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Dec 8 2010, 09:55 AM) *

I disagree that it's your fault because things were stolen. It's not your fault that they were stolen it's just that you were an easy target and the lazy "oik" took advantage of you. These dreadful people, who are a definite burden to society, are basically just out for a quick buck to fuel whatever habits they have and will usually take the easy course to do it.

Sleeping with a bat by your side is actually a dangerous thing to do. Firstly they will be fuelled with adrenaline and are usually male and would be able to overpower you and take the bat and use it on you. Also if you did manage to use the bat on the alleged criminal and killed him or her you could be held liable for murder as you had pre-planned and purposefully equipped yourself with a weapon to do so. Seems unfair though, doesn't it, but that's the law.

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Dec 8 2010, 10:15 AM) *
I've been burgled and it is a truely unpleasant experience having had taken from me irreplacable items that had sentimental value. It has changed the way that I live and impacted on my quality of life as I now have to shut and lock everything even to pop out for ten minutes.
The police were impotent in responding to the crime regarding the response timescale and apprending the scum that did it. Even if he had been caught he would have probably have got a lenient sentence as seems to be the case these days.
I believe all of us should be contacting our MP and demanding that we are afforded better protection.

I have also been burgled and it happened whilst I was in hospital having my baby! It's a horrible thing to happen but unfortunately it happens a lot and there are not enough police to deal with everything and every criminal and all the paperwork that is required. We quite need the government to fund far more police on the streets and make changes to ease the enormous amount of paperwwork that the police have to complete for every little thing that they say and do.

+Quote Post
Rosewinelover
post Dec 8 2010, 01:10 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Dec 8 2010, 11:10 AM) *
So you are intent on commiting GBH against some innocent Burglar. Tut. Tut. Prison for you. Take her down.

Yes I am! I would do anything to defend my son. My instant reaction would be to attack them. All though I know the best thing to do is scream, I read an article from a man who use to be a burglar who said' Just scream, it will worry the burglar enough to run away'. But who knows what I would do in a real life position.

From ChesapeakeSleeping with a bat by your side is actually a dangerous thing to do. Firstly they will be fuelled with adrenaline and are usually male and would be able to overpower you and take the bat and use it on you. Also if you did manage to use the bat on the alleged criminal and killed him or her you could be held liable for murder as you had pre-planned and purposefully equipped yourself with a weapon to do so. Seems unfair though, doesn't it, but that's the law.

I know the law wouldn't be on my side, I did say that in my previous post. I also agree, they probably would over power me but it wouldn't stop me trying to defend myself/family/home.

+Quote Post
Rosewinelover
post Dec 8 2010, 01:12 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Chesapeake @ Dec 8 2010, 11:13 AM) *
I have also been burgled and it happened whilst I was in hospital having my baby! It's a horrible thing to happen but unfortunately it happens a lot and there are not enough police to deal with everything and every criminal and all the paperwork that is required. We quite need the government to fund far more police on the streets and make changes to ease the enormous amount of paperwwork that the police have to complete for every little thing that they say and do.

How awful angry.gif

+Quote Post
user23
post Dec 8 2010, 01:20 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (x2lls @ Dec 8 2010, 01:13 AM) *
Beats me why our law geezers don't set up stings all over the place.
Because it's called Entrapment?

+Quote Post
Rosewinelover
post Dec 8 2010, 01:22 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Dec 8 2010, 01:20 PM) *
Because it's called Entrapment?

So? If your doing nothing wrong you wont get in any trouble.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:26 AM