> Newbury town shopping and Festival Place, My first thoughts
Iommi
post Jul 12 2010, 10:31 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 20

I went to Festival Place on Sunday.

I parked by The Anvil and it was the old fashioned pay for the amount of time you want, which is a bit krap really. I will say though, it was 12:30 and getting parked was easy.

The first thing we were presented with was a lady that was irate at being fined £80.00 for having the wrong ticket. I couldn't quite understand her plight, but it seems they've changed their system some time back and the £5.00 ticket she had was invalid. If true, that is certainly a reason to tell them to stick their shopping centre up their ****. I paid £1.60 for 2 hours, I actually was there for 1 hour and 20 minutes.

I noticed the place was busy, compared to Newbury, and that at a rough guess, it was 70% women. The next thing I noticed was that it was populated with the mainly familiar chains that you seem to get in all the main towns, but not that is necessarily a bad thing.

Parts of it did feel a bit like The Oracle, the rest seems just to be the old town with a roof. It is just one big shopping village. I think it is better than going to Reading, unless there is something specific in Reading, however, Reading's HMV is better than Basingstoke's.

While walking around the place, I couldn't help but think that Newbury doesn't have much of a chance of competing with Basingstoke, if indeed they are trying to. I think Newbury has a too little, too late feel about it (by comparison).

Basingstoke is covered, yet airy and bright and you find yourself just wondering around in an exploratory fashion. It is a bit like a rabbit warren. With Newbury, it is set up in a silo fashion. You have the fast food section in Barts St, then Kennet Shoppin (the dirt on the letter disguises the 'g'). Then the market square, then Northbrook Street and Parkway. I not sure if people will gravitate to these other areas, once Parkway is open. The other thing of course is bad weather, all but Kennet Shoppin is open air.

If I lived between Basingstoke and Newbury, I doubt I'd feel the need to go to Newbury. Although, Newbury might be able to take some of the Reading shoppers, but it remains to be seen.

The Basingstoke run is quite a pleasant drive, especially the view you get as you approach Basingstoke.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jul 12 2010, 10:58 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

You dissing Newbury Bro?
Is it not time you moved to the 'Stoke man if you don't like it in the home town.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 12 2010, 12:09 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jul 12 2010, 11:58 AM) *
You dissing Newbury Bro?
Is it not time you moved to the 'Stoke man if you don't like it in the home town.

Whyzat?

+Quote Post
Good Boy Racer
post Jul 12 2010, 03:42 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 22

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jul 12 2010, 11:58 AM) *
You dissing Newbury Bro?

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 12 2010, 01:09 PM) *
Whyzat?

That's not even Raoulmoatly funny...

--------------------
"Quick, Hide something that looks like fun!"

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 12 2010, 04:19 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

What's with the Raoul Moat pun? It's not funny, appropriate or even related in any way to the discussion topic.

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Jul 12 2010, 05:34 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 37

QUOTE (Good Boy Racer @ Jul 12 2010, 04:42 PM) *
That's not even Raoulmoatly funny...

LOL

+Quote Post
ossy1
post Jul 12 2010, 06:02 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

I like Basingstoke too, you were lucky though, some Saturdays it takes ages to get around the roundabout and into Festival place. If you park in Festival place you pay when you leave although the carpark its self is like a rabbit warren. I have never managed to leave the same way I went in!!

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jul 12 2010, 06:30 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 12 2010, 11:31 AM) *
I parked by The Anvil and it was the old fashioned pay for the amount of time you want,

QUOTE (ossy1 @ Jul 12 2010, 07:02 PM) *
If you park in Festival place you pay when you leave

So which is it, or are we talking about different car parks? My only real knowledge of Basingstoke is the ring road to the M3 - I'm not sure I could find my way in smile.gif

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 12 2010, 06:35 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jul 12 2010, 07:30 PM) *
So which is it, or are we talking about different car parks? My only real knowledge of Basingstoke is the ring road to the M3 - I'm not sure I could find my way in smile.gif

I'm talking about The Anvil, ozzy1 is talking about Festival Place, as per the posts! wink.gif Getting there is a piece of cake. Straight across the first roundabout, then turn right at the next one, then left at the next roundabout. It's signposted from their. TBH - just go to Basingstoke, all roads seem to lead everywhere! Or better still, find out if you can get it in Newbury and go there.

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Jul 12 2010, 06:54 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 12 2010, 07:35 PM) *
I'm talking about The Anvil, ozzy1 is talking about Festival Place, as per the posts! wink.gif

Surely the two car parks are adjacent, aren't they, one privately owned, one council? Vyne Meadow is a good bet and always has loads of room at weekends, a snip finding a parking space there and all in the open. Two minutes walk from Festival Place

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 12 2010, 07:04 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Jul 12 2010, 07:54 PM) *
Surely the two car parks are adjacent, aren't they, one privately owned, one council?

I have no idea, I only can describe as I found, but the person getting scalped £80.00 didn't fill me with a warm glow!!!

+Quote Post
ossy1
post Jul 12 2010, 07:58 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Jul 12 2010, 07:54 PM) *
Surely the two car parks are adjacent, aren't they, one privately owned, one council? Vyne Meadow is a good bet and always has loads of room at weekends, a snip finding a parking space there and all in the open. Two minutes walk from Festival Place

Yes your right they are adjacent, sort of, but Mr Ossy believes they are both run by the council. He always gets a bit nostalgic when visiting festival place, he remembers the town in the good ole days!!!! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Jul 14 2010, 06:20 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

At least we'll soon have some fine Scottish street names to keep us happy while shopping in Newbury. Friendly tea beside the band at Cranston's or Crawford's .....?

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=13955

Hilarious!!

+Quote Post
santolina
post Jul 14 2010, 08:00 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 245

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 12 2010, 11:31 AM) *
I went to Festival Place on Sunday.

I parked by The Anvil and it was the old fashioned pay for the amount of time you want, which is a bit krap really. I will say though, it was 12:30 and getting parked was easy.

The first thing we were presented with was a lady that was irate at being fined £80.00 for having the wrong ticket. I couldn't quite understand her plight, but it seems they've changed their system some time back and the £5.00 ticket she had was invalid. If true, that is certainly a reason to tell them to stick their shopping centre up their ****. I paid £1.60 for 2 hours, I actually was there for 1 hour and 20 minutes.

I noticed the place was busy, compared to Newbury, and that at a rough guess, it was 70% women. The next thing I noticed was that it was populated with the mainly familiar chains that you seem to get in all the main towns, but not that is necessarily a bad thing.

Parts of it did feel a bit like The Oracle, the rest seems just to be the old town with a roof. It is just one big shopping village. I think it is better than going to Reading, unless there is something specific in Reading, however, Reading's HMV is better than Basingstoke's.

While walking around the place, I couldn't help but think that Newbury doesn't have much of a chance of competing with Basingstoke, if indeed they are trying to. I think Newbury has a too little, too late feel about it (by comparison).

Basingstoke is covered, yet airy and bright and you find yourself just wondering around in an exploratory fashion. It is a bit like a rabbit warren. With Newbury, it is set up in a silo fashion. You have the fast food section in Barts St, then Kennet Shoppin (the dirt on the letter disguises the 'g'). Then the market square, then Northbrook Street and Parkway. I not sure if people will gravitate to these other areas, once Parkway is open. The other thing of course is bad weather, all but Kennet Shoppin is open air.

If I lived between Basingstoke and Newbury, I doubt I'd feel the need to go to Newbury. Although, Newbury might be able to take some of the Reading shoppers, but it remains to be seen.

The Basingstoke run is quite a pleasant drive, especially the view you get as you approach Basingstoke.

I think calling the Kennet Centre a shopping centre is actually taking things too far! sad.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 04:22 AM