IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Which side of the fence are you on?, Should fencing be installed at the new play area in Victoria Park?
robw
post Aug 3 2011, 01:43 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=17460

Rival groups have been set up on Facebook this week over the issue of whether fencing should be installed at Victoria Park in Newbury.
What are your thoughts? Do you think fencing should be put up around the new equipment? Or do you prefer the freedom of the open space?

Let us know your thoughts here...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 3 2011, 03:31 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Don't like the idea of fencing, but certain behaviours prelevant today probably make it inevitable.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Aug 3 2011, 04:07 PM
Post #3

Guests

Just to clarify.

Those of us (yes, including myself) who have signed the petition in favour of fencing, are asking only that the toddlers play equipment area is fenced in.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Aug 3 2011, 04:41 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

It should be (low level) fenced for no other reason than just to keep the dogs out... Nothing worse than having little Johnny and friends playing in a sandpit with a scattering of dog eggs...

One thing that perhaps SHOULD be looked into is providing some sort of screen (fuller trees or hedges maybe?) at the new skatepark so that passing motorists on the A339 aren't quite so tempted to gawp. The accumulated distance that must be racked up every week by motorists who drive past there with their eyes fixed on the playpark rather than the road ahead must run into miles. How many rear end shunts will there be within a year?

+Quote Post
user23
post Aug 3 2011, 04:53 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

Dunno but "For the full story and reactions from local parents, see tomorrow’s Newbury Weekly News" is pretty amusing.

For the full story and reactions from local parents why not look on Facebook?

+Quote Post
Smudgie
post Aug 3 2011, 06:38 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 383

I wouldn't give too much credence to the 'rival' FB page, Rob - the founder has admitted on the original FB page that he set it up for a joke...

"Can I just say, I did start that group up as a joke... Yes it was deliberately antagonistic."

As for the member numbers, any one already on either of the FB pages can add anyone else - they have to 'unjoin' to be removed - so the member numbers don't really count. I am aware that this is the same for the pro-fence as well as the anti-fence page, but basically the anti-fence page and a small handful of mates only have to add everyone they know to bump up the numbers - while in general those inviting friends to the pro-page are targeting people they know to be mums with kids of the appropriate age.

I think more credence can be put in the petition number - 250 names just four days since the page was set up is very good indeed!

As I put in my petition comment, I totally agree that the current layout has a lovely open feel to it... but sadly safety needs to be put before aesthetics. I'm sure that with a bit of creative thinking, fencing can be brought into play without spoiling the look of things. It doesn't have to be 10-foot high chicken wire!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 3 2011, 06:40 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

Fencing-off the toddler area seems sensible.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 3 2011, 07:03 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (spartacus @ Aug 3 2011, 05:41 PM) *
It should be (low level) fenced for no other reason than just to keep the dogs out... Nothing worse than having little Johnny and friends playing in a sandpit with a scattering of dog eggs...

The sandpit is fenced in....

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Aug 3 2011, 07:21 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

One thing that perhaps SHOULD be looked into is providing some sort of screen (fuller trees or hedges maybe?) at the new skatepark so that passing motorists on the A339 aren't quite so tempted to gawp. The accumulated distance that must be racked up every week by motorists who drive past there with their eyes fixed on the playpark rather than the road ahead must run into miles. How many rear end shunts will there be within a year?

Agreed, on both points.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 3 2011, 07:23 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

One thing that perhaps SHOULD be looked into is providing some sort of screen (fuller trees or hedges maybe?) at the new skatepark so that passing motorists on the A339 aren't quite so tempted to gawp.

Perhaps the council would prefer to have people able to see the improvements they have made in Newbury?

+Quote Post
CBW137Y
post Aug 3 2011, 08:09 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 223

I have to say, I'd feel better with my little one in an area which was fenced. Each to their own, I guess.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 3 2011, 09:36 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (CBW137Y @ Aug 3 2011, 09:09 PM) *
I have to say, I'd feel better with my little one in an area which was fenced. Each to their own, I guess.

Saves having to watch them quite so closely........

+Quote Post
CBW137Y
post Aug 3 2011, 10:24 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 223

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Aug 3 2011, 10:36 PM) *
Saves having to watch them quite so closely........

I assume you're not making an assumption about my parenting skills without even knowing me?!

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 4 2011, 08:24 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (CBW137Y @ Aug 3 2011, 11:24 PM) *
I assume you're not making an assumption about my parenting skills without even knowing me?!

You said you'd feel better if they were fenced in......

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 4 2011, 08:29 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Aug 4 2011, 09:24 AM) *
You said you'd feel better if they were fenced in......

And then you made an assumption as to why! wink.gif

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 4 2011, 08:32 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Aug 4 2011, 09:29 AM) *
And then you made an assumption as to why! wink.gif

What other reason could there be?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 4 2011, 08:36 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Aug 4 2011, 09:32 AM) *
What other reason could there be?

Just off the top of my head: defence from stray dogs and other similar hazards. The luxury of allowing your child to run with some freedom, as opposed to standing over them. Neither are a slur on parenting skill I'd say.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 4 2011, 08:53 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Aug 4 2011, 09:36 AM) *
Just off the top of my head: defence from stray dogs and other similar hazards. The luxury of allowing your child to run with some freedom, as opposed to standing over them. Neither are a slur on parenting skill I'd say.

Who was slurring parenting skills? A fence means you don't have to, as you said, stand over your child. ie you don't have to watch them so closely. Which is what I said.

+Quote Post
massifheed
post Aug 4 2011, 09:01 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,215

Just off the top of my head: defence from stray dogs and other similar hazards.

Both of which ROSPA guidance includes as being reasons for considering installing fencing around childrens play areas.

The luxury of allowing your child to run with some freedom, as opposed to standing over them. Neither are a slur on parenting skill I'd say.

Agreed. Also, it seems unreasonable to create an area that encourages kids to play, run around and do all the things that kids do, but without making that area free from potential avoidable hazards.

Some info from ROSPA regarding risk assessments of kids play areas...

http://www.rospa.com/leisuresafety/advicea...assessment.aspx

A clear "hierarchy for control" of hazards is listed there in this order:

Eliminate hazard
Reduce hazard
Isolate hazard
Control hazard

So the ideal course of action is to eliminate hazards, but you can't reasonably (and nor should you) stop people bringing dogs into the park. Likewise, given that the boating lake is actively used it is unreasonable to drain it. And no-one would think that fencing off access to the canal is a reasonable measure. The next step then, is to reduce those hazards. To many, the logical thing to do (and this is what was in place before) is to place a boundary between the hazards and the vulnerable users.

It would seem that there is a clear differing of opinion over the extend of the "Reduce" step, as NTC have chosen instead to put up two signs that warn of deep water.

+Quote Post
moby dick
post Aug 4 2011, 09:02 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 6,491

QUOTE (Smudgie @ Aug 3 2011, 07:38 PM) *
I wouldn't give too much credence to the 'rival' FB page, Rob - the founder has admitted on the original FB page that he set it up for a joke...

"Can I just say, I did start that group up as a joke... Yes it was deliberately antagonistic."

As for the member numbers, any one already on either of the FB pages can add anyone else - they have to 'unjoin' to be removed - so the member numbers don't really count. I am aware that this is the same for the pro-fence as well as the anti-fence page, but basically the anti-fence page and a small handful of mates only have to add everyone they know to bump up the numbers - while in general those inviting friends to the pro-page are targeting people they know to be mums with kids of the appropriate age.

I think more credence can be put in the petition number - 250 names just four days since the page was set up is very good indeed!

As I put in my petition comment, I totally agree that the current layout has a lovely open feel to it... but sadly safety needs to be put before aesthetics. I'm sure that with a bit of creative thinking, fencing can be brought into play without spoiling the look of things. It doesn't have to be 10-foot high chicken wire!

That is me you are misquoting there Smudgie. This is the full part of that quote.

Can I just say, I did start that group up as a joke but it has amassed 350+ members in less than 24 hours. Most of the members seem to care more than me about the issue. I originally posted on here [the pro fence group] to start a debate and to try to get people to think about things a different way, even if they didn't change their minds.

Yes it was deliberately antagonistic [the post on the pro fence group], but that was the point. It did get a discussion going, and if anything probably helped your cause.

I would also like to say that, on my part, there is no row just discussion on both sides (I am fairly sure that this is the same for the "other" side also, having had a discussion with them)

I think that the whole issue has been blown out of proportion though. People will always have differing opinions on things like this, not sure that it needs this level of coverage though.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:41 PM