Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Parkway Housing, ...affordable?
wabbit
post Sep 7 2011, 06:10 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 312

Having wondered about the cost of parking in our all new Parkway shopping complex, I thought I would also check out the 'affordable' housing to be offered there.

I couldn't find any details of the official 'affordable' homes, but I was shocked to find that the cheapest 1 bed flat (no parking) being offered for sale is around £194,000. Not only is this not a sensible market price for a 1 bed flat in the area but if housing associations are to be offering these homes to 'the most needy' (which I understand is now the criteria, rather than local 'working' people with local connections), then this seems pretty outrageous.

Maybe someone can explain how this is going to work?

--------------------
You can't shake hands with a clenched fist
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NewburyP
post Sep 7 2011, 07:15 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,181

QUOTE (wabbit @ Sep 7 2011, 07:10 AM) *
Having wondered about the cost of parking in our all new Parkway shopping complex, I thought I would also check out the 'affordable' housing to be offered there.

I couldn't find any details of the official 'affordable' homes, but I was shocked to find that the cheapest 1 bed flat (no parking) being offered for sale is around £194,000. Not only is this not a sensible market price for a 1 bed flat in the area but if housing associations are to be offering these homes to 'the most needy' (which I understand is now the criteria, rather than local 'working' people with local connections), then this seems pretty outrageous.

Maybe someone can explain how this is going to work?

The prices you are looking at are for the non-social housing apartments; the affordable homes will not be available until a Registered Social Landlord takes them on.

+Quote Post
wabbit
post Sep 7 2011, 07:28 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NewburyP @ Sep 7 2011, 08:15 AM) *
The prices you are looking at are for the non-social housing apartments; the affordable homes will not be available until a Registered Social Landlord takes them on.

Yes, I realised these weren't the cost of the social housing homes (the only information to be gleaned is from Parkway's website and is for private sales) - but I am questioning why 1 bed flats are being offered at almost £200,000 (when a more realistic market figure surely is closer to £130,000) and whether Social Landlords (is this Housing Associations?) are buying at that inflated price? All sounds a bit odd to me.

On my other point, does anyone know who exactly would qualify for any of these luxury residences as social housing?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 7 2011, 08:03 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

SLI got away with not providing social housing. I think they 'got away' with just giving the council money instead.

+Quote Post
wabbit
post Sep 7 2011, 11:05 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Sep 7 2011, 09:03 AM) *
SLI got away with not providing social housing. I think they 'got away' with just giving the council money instead.

I thought 20% of the total 'homes' were to be affordable - has that changed?

--------------------

+Quote Post
James_Trinder
post Sep 7 2011, 11:34 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 48

QUOTE (wabbit @ Sep 7 2011, 12:05 PM) *
I thought 20% of the total 'homes' were to be affordable - has that changed?

It has changed. SLI have given the council a sum of money in order to avoid this requirement.

+Quote Post
wabbit
post Sep 7 2011, 11:52 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (James_Trinder @ Sep 7 2011, 12:34 PM) *
It has changed. SLI have given the council a sum of money in order to avoid this requirement.

Oh thank you - but that does sound a bit like a proverbial 'bung', doesn't it? wink.gif

So, no nice shiny apartments for Newbury's struggling then... just another ker-ching in the coffers of WBC!

Still not sure how Parkway arrived at a market value of almost £200,000 for a 1 bed flat though. If these flats go the way of many 'aspirational' town centre developments like those in Reading, the flats will soon become seedy and unloved. Quite who would want to live in a town centre now (see other thread about drinking etc), is a mystery to me... especially without parking.

Maybe Dave's proposed mending of 'broken Britain' will bring about a 'sea change' (yes, another ghastly cliche) and towns (like Newbury) might once again become places people aspire to live in. Until then, you'd need to have more money than sense (in my opinion) to buy here.

--------------------

+Quote Post
NewburyP
post Sep 7 2011, 11:55 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 5,181

There are 184 apartments in Newbury with 47 of those allocated to affordable homes. Once a Registered Social Landlord takes over those 47 apartments they will be marketed - I am not sure how a housing association like Sovereign operates but they will decide who will be the eventual occupiers.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Sep 7 2011, 11:57 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (wabbit @ Sep 7 2011, 12:52 PM) *
Oh thank you - but that does sound a bit like a proverbial 'bung', doesn't it? wink.gif

So, no nice shiny apartments for Newbury's struggling then... just another ker-ching in the coffers of WBC!

Still not sure how Parkway arrived at a market value of almost £200,000 for a 1 bed flat though. If these flats go the way of many 'aspirational' town centre developments like those in Reading, the flats will soon become seedy and unloved. Quite who would want to live in a town centre now (see other thread about drinking etc), is a mystery to me... especially without parking.

Maybe Dave's proposed mending of 'broken Britain' will bring about a 'sea change' (yes, another ghastly cliche) and towns (like Newbury) might once again become places people aspire to live in. Until then, you'd need to have more money than sense (in my opinion) to buy here.

Interesting view and considering how long the flats have been marketed for there is only one flat sold (not one reserved even) you may be right.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Darren
post Sep 7 2011, 12:08 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

But then who's going to buy something in the middle of a building site where the work seems to be over-running.

Hardly makes for a Des-Res

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Sep 7 2011, 12:13 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NewburyP @ Sep 7 2011, 12:55 PM) *
There are 184 apartments in Newbury with 47 of those allocated to affordable homes. Once a Registered Social Landlord takes over those 47 apartments they will be marketed - I am not sure how a housing association like Sovereign operates but they will decide who will be the eventual occupiers.

Hold on, we have been hearing from earlier posters that the Council took money to agree that there would be no affordable housing in the Parkway build. Which is true?
Does anyone know the facts about this???

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 7 2011, 12:35 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Sep 7 2011, 01:13 PM) *
Hold on, we have been hearing from earlier posters that the Council took money to agree that there would be no affordable housing in the Parkway build. Which is true?
Does anyone know the facts about this???

Perhaps it is a bit of both. Money for a reduced quota?

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Sep 7 2011, 12:39 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Sep 7 2011, 01:35 PM) *
Perhaps it is a bit of both. Money for a reduced quota?

Maybe but does anyone know for certainty?

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
sdm36
post Sep 7 2011, 01:10 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 400

Yeh taking the money and leaving a trail of confusion sounds like the council, they probably did that.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Sep 7 2011, 05:21 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (sdm36 @ Sep 7 2011, 02:10 PM) *
Yeh taking the money and leaving a trail of confusion sounds like the council, they probably did that.

The Council would only do as instructed by SLI. Standard practice for our beloved Council. Developers rule! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Sep 7 2011, 06:07 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...?articleID=6716

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 7 2011, 06:42 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

"The committee agreed to cut the developer’s contributions ... from £3.5 million to £1.9 ... (and) hand over £900,000 to (SLI) to keep the 37 affordable homes."

In other words: we let them off paying £1.6 million in S106 money and also paid them nearly £1 million the council had under mattriss to keep the previously agreed 37 affordable homes (which in itself was lowered from an earlier agreed 56).

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Sep 8 2011, 12:31 AM
Post #18

Guests

Lol that is not affordable whatsoever. Affordable would mean that I could have my own house rather than have to rent properties, but hey.

Young people don't need houses since we all sleep in VW Camper Vans in between excursions to the beach to surf and play hide the rainbow.

£200k for a 1 bedroom flat? I'd expect that to be a massive bachelor pad, with free water-bed and at least off road parking. The flat I currently live in is about £130,000 and has residential parking, 2 bedrooms and a dishwasher.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Nov 1 2011, 11:27 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

I see that there is still only one appartment sold and now one other reserved. Looks like the prices have gone up too. Not sure that these appartments will be value for money when you can buy a substantial detached property for the same price as the more expensive appartments.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Nov 1 2011, 12:55 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,076

Does anyone know how many affordable housing units we got for our £1m??? I've been told whilst in town today that there is only eight, surely that is just a wild rumour and couldn't possibly be true?

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:26 AM