Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Maternity Services in Newbury
Me-again
post Feb 10 2010, 07:23 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 68

Good evening all. I have been asked to post on here regarding the above topic.

For some time now, there has been a Facebook Group that is trying to raise support for reinstating some kind of maternity unit in Newbury.

Yesterday they were contacted by Mr David Black, UKIP, who has also been trying to raise this issue with the PCT. He has now set up an online petition to help him in his quest.

Please take a look at this link

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/newburymaternity/

and sign up if you agree.

Thank you
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Feb 11 2010, 06:40 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

Just signed the petition as it is somthing I really believe in. It then took me to a second page to donate x number of dollars, could maybe understand sterling but not dollars. Is this usual with ipetitions?

+Quote Post
user23
post Feb 11 2010, 07:10 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Feb 11 2010, 06:40 PM) *
Just signed the petition as it is somthing I really believe in. It then took me to a second page to donate x number of dollars, could maybe understand sterling but not dollars. Is this usual with ipetitions?
Yes, it's an American website set up to make money from advertising and information collected by third-party ad services.

+Quote Post
Me-again
post Feb 12 2010, 04:04 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Yes iPetitions is an American site which relies on donations and money from advertising. It is used over here for this kind of petition as it is very user friendly and easy to set up and run. Just ignore the donation area. We are not looking for you to donate anything other than a signature.

+Quote Post
user23
post Feb 15 2010, 08:47 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Me-again @ Feb 12 2010, 04:04 PM) *
Yes iPetitions is an American site which relies on donations and money from advertising. It is used over here for this kind of petition as it is very user friendly and easy to set up and run. Just ignore the donation area. We are not looking for you to donate anything other than a signature.
..and your email address.

Here's the official UK petition website.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Feb 15 2010, 09:34 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (user23 @ Feb 15 2010, 08:47 PM) *
..and your email address.

Here's the official UK petition website.

So, is there a petition for the maternity ward on there then?

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Feb 15 2010, 09:35 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

It's alright, I found it!

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Feb 16 2010, 09:12 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 164

Again the mighty dollar roars. Surely the whole debacle of health care centres from available funding , the obvious answer is to send your donation directly to the West Berkshire Health Authority , not some anonymous data gatherer in down town Albuquerque.
Though in total agreement with the sentiment behind the requirement ,the fact remains we can't afford everything . sad.gif

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Feb 16 2010, 05:16 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

QUOTE (lordtup @ Feb 16 2010, 09:12 AM) *
Again the mighty dollar roars. Surely the whole debacle of health care centres from available funding , the obvious answer is to send your donation directly to the West Berkshire Health Authority , not some anonymous data gatherer in down town Albuquerque.
Though in total agreement with the sentiment behind the requirement ,the fact remains we can't afford everything . sad.gif

No we cannot afford everything on the NHS, but some areas can provide overweight kids with gastric bands. Meanwhile Newburys new, bright, shiny hospital cannot deliver a baby or has to send you 20 miles for a broken leg. angry.gif

+Quote Post
Me-again
post Feb 18 2010, 04:43 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Hi all! We have just been to Newbury Sound to record an interview on this topic......I am really not cut out for radio! Will be on tomorrow a.m. with more coverage on their website. I think the point that angers most people is the fact that we used to have a maternity unit in Newbury and now, even though the town is growing fast, it is not considered important.

+Quote Post
Ziggy
post Feb 20 2010, 08:31 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 504

QUOTE (Me-again @ Feb 18 2010, 04:43 PM) *
Hi all! We have just been to Newbury Sound to record an interview on this topic......I am really not cut out for radio! Will be on tomorrow a.m. with more coverage on their website. I think the point that angers most people is the fact that we used to have a maternity unit in Newbury and now, even though the town is growing fast, it is not considered important.

This should be on the other forum ... it is a important Newbury issue rather than a random rant!

+Quote Post
Me-again
post Feb 20 2010, 12:53 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

It was a rant when we started. It is now news thanks to the lovely people at Newbury Sound! We are just contacting NWN to see if they want to cover the story too. And please, please mention the petiton to everyone you can!

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Feb 22 2010, 02:13 PM
Post #13

Guests

(Actually Ms Bill1 on this occasion)...

Pretty certain I remember from the NWN cuttings library that when the Sandleford Hospital maternity unit closed in... ooh... 1988 (?) protesters were placated with the promise that when the new West Berks Hospital was built, it would include one.

Of course, no one knew at that point it was going to be another couple of decades before WBH opened in 2004, and by then, everyone had forgotten it was meant to have a full maternity unit and were just chuffed that they no longer had to go to Reading for their ultrasound scans.

Certainly worth a dig in the files to see what was promised when the Sandleford one closed, though.

Did anyone ever actually give birth at Sandleford though? I was born at RBH mmmfff years ago, then my mum was moved to Sandleford for a week's R&R (a fabulous idea, such a pity that's gone out of the window for the majority of new mums and babies). And Bill1 (Mr) was also born in Reading (Battle) rather than Newbury, and that was in the 1860s.

+Quote Post
HJD
post Feb 22 2010, 02:42 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 322

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Feb 22 2010, 02:13 PM) *

And Bill1 (Mr) was also born in Reading (Battle) rather than Newbury, and that was in the 1860s.

You go for the 'older man' then Ms Bill. laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Feb 22 2010, 04:51 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

I was born in Sandleford. I remember it well wink.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Feb 22 2010, 06:28 PM
Post #16

Guests

QUOTE (HJD @ Feb 22 2010, 02:42 PM) *

oh, v much so! Think Sandleford was still the workhouse in those days anyway (1836-1948). Sure lots of babies were born there then!

Ms Bill1

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Feb 23 2010, 09:46 AM
Post #17

Guests

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Feb 22 2010, 02:13 PM) *

Pretty certain I remember from the NWN cuttings library that when the Sandleford Hospital maternity unit closed in... ooh... 1988 (?) protesters were placated with the promise that when the new West Berks Hospital was built, it would include one.

Of course, no one knew at that point it was going to be another couple of decades before WBH opened in 2004, and by then, everyone had forgotten it was meant to have a full maternity unit and were just chuffed that they no longer had to go to Reading for their ultrasound scans.

Certainly worth a dig in the files to see what was promised when the Sandleford one closed, though.

Did anyone ever actually give birth at Sandleford though? I was born at RBH mmmfff years ago, then my mum was moved to Sandleford for a week's R&R (a fabulous idea, such a pity that's gone out of the window for the majority of new mums and babies). And Bill1 (Mr) was also born in Reading (Battle) rather than Newbury, and that was in the 1860s.

QUOTE (HJD @ Feb 22 2010, 02:42 PM) *

Yep I'm the world's oldest man! blink.gif

Note to self - Change my password............

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Feb 23 2010, 11:05 AM
Post #18

Guests

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Feb 23 2010, 09:46 AM) *
Note to self - Change my password............

Hee hee! You're permanently logged in at home!

+Quote Post
Rachel
post Feb 23 2010, 04:24 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 258

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Feb 22 2010, 03:13 PM) *

Sandleford Maternity Unit delivered many, many babies; it was a very special place. I did 6 weeks there as part of my training back in 1985, & as the only student at the time I got to witness every delivery made while I was on duty-a great honour as many of my fellow students went to RBH & had to take turns to witness births. Yes, it was an old building, yes, the history haunted some people, yes, there was no lift so the poor ladies had to climb the stairs despite their advanced state of labour BUT the staff were wonderful, many long serving, it was spotless due to the high standards maintained by staff & the very feel of the place made it the perfect place for babies to enter this world into a relaxed, safe environment. By the time I trained, they would only deliver 'safe' babies (ie where pregnancy had gone without hitches, second, fourth & subsequent babies & babies of healthy parents) as there was only the facillity for limmited medical intervention, so any delivery that was likely to need surgery or that risked the birth of a poorly mother or baby had to go to RBH. In this age of a stark choice between full hospitalization for births OR home births, a cottage hospital type maternity unit such as Sandleford is the perfect resolution, a third, middle ground choice.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Feb 24 2010, 08:51 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (Rachel @ Feb 23 2010, 04:24 PM) *
Sandleford Maternity Unit delivered many, many babies; it was a very special place. I did 6 weeks there as part of my training back in 1985, & as the only student at the time I got to witness every delivery made while I was on duty-a great honour as many of my fellow students went to RBH & had to take turns to witness births. Yes, it was an old building, yes, the history haunted some people, yes, there was no lift so the poor ladies had to climb the stairs despite their advanced state of labour BUT the staff were wonderful, many long serving, it was spotless due to the high standards maintained by staff & the very feel of the place made it the perfect place for babies to enter this world into a relaxed, safe environment. By the time I trained, they would only deliver 'safe' babies (ie where pregnancy had gone without hitches, second, fourth & subsequent babies & babies of healthy parents) as there was only the facillity for limmited medical intervention, so any delivery that was likely to need surgery or that risked the birth of a poorly mother or baby had to go to RBH. In this age of a stark choice between full hospitalization for births OR home births, a cottage hospital type maternity unit such as Sandleford is the perfect resolution, a third, middle ground choice.

My daughter was born at Sandleford and my recollections are of a friendly and efficient unit that the staff obviously enjoyed working in. A facility that I believe the people of Newbury not only benefited from but were very proud of and rightly so.
The new hospital is probably equally as good but limited in what it can do. There is room to utilise space presently used by administration staff ( plenty of vacant offices in and around Newbury) for a maternity unit or a new build on the site as there probably is room.
With all of the new housing planned for the Newbury area it should be seriously considered as taking every mother to RBH is not a good proposition.Live will be put at risk.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:28 PM