> Town centre violence
massifheed
post Aug 1 2011, 01:23 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,215

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=17444

Third-hand information I have tells me that it was a large number of people outside Liquid that were involved in this fracas, requiring a large Police presence to deal with it. I'm also informed that Liquid had a drinks promotion on that night, and some drinks (not sure if we are talking bottles or shots) were as little as 80p.

I guess my question is, should bars/pubs/clubs be allowed to sell alcohol at such low prices, and do the Police have powers to deal with such places that are obviously trying to get people to buy as much as possible, regardless of the consequences, and given the cost involved when things go wrong?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Aug 1 2011, 01:47 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (massifheed @ Aug 1 2011, 02:23 PM) *
http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=17444

Third-hand information I have tells me that it was a large number of people outside Liquid that were involved in this fracas, requiring a large Police presence to deal with it. I'm also informed that Liquid had a drinks promotion on that night, and some drinks (not sure if we are talking bottles or shots) were as little as 80p.

I guess my question is, should bars/pubs/clubs be allowed to sell alcohol at such low prices, and do the Police have powers to deal with such places that are obviously trying to get people to buy as much as possible, regardless of the consequences, and given the cost involved when things go wrong?

This yet another example of the lowering of social standards and acceptability.
It reflects badly on the people that exploit cheap alcohol sales for short term gain and the morons who have know idea how civilised people should conduct themselves. Worse still, it reflects badly on Newbury as a place to spend an evening.
Unless the law is toughened up to deal with this disorder and those that exploit the weak minded then you can expect more of the same.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Aug 1 2011, 02:44 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Aug 1 2011, 02:47 PM) *
This yet another example of the lowering of social standards and acceptability.
It reflects badly on the people that exploit cheap alcohol sales for short term gain and the morons who have know idea how civilised people should conduct themselves. Worse still, it reflects badly on Newbury as a place to spend an evening.
Unless the law is toughened up to deal with this disorder and those that exploit the weak minded then you can expect more of the same.

Do you want some Bloggo? Are you staring at me?

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Aug 1 2011, 02:48 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Aug 1 2011, 03:44 PM) *
Do you want some Bloggo? Are you staring at me?

laugh.gif laugh.gif
I guess it's all part of the "Newbury Vision"

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 1 2011, 03:59 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Aug 1 2011, 02:47 PM) *
Worse still, it reflects badly on Newbury as a place to spend an evening.

Yes. In the old days, this was the sort of thing that only happened at the Henwick or at the Beverley Club. Or maybe in your local cinema.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Aug 1 2011, 04:08 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Aug 1 2011, 04:59 PM) *
Yes. In the old days, this was the sort of thing that only happened at the Henwick or at the Beverley Club. Or maybe in your local cinema.

Or the Plaza...... All places that are now long closed, so we can say what we like about them!!!!!

However, looking at the NWN headline, one fight at one location is a 'night of violence'? I accept what happened was likely a bit more than 'handbags', and seems unacceptable, but that doesn't make my perception of a night of violence, any more than the Sports Editor choking on his coffee makes an epidemic of lung disease

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 1 2011, 04:24 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

People need to learn to say no. People who are obviously drunk should be refused service and if they are not people need to start losing their licenses. It's a simple rule, which is easily enforcable, already law and would be effective.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 1 2011, 04:55 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Aug 1 2011, 05:24 PM) *
People need to learn to say no. People who are obviously drunk should be refused service and if they are not people need to start losing their licenses. It's a simple rule, which is easily enforcable, already law and would be effective.

Totally agree. This includes a well organised and pervasive Pubwatch scheme. This initiative on its own made such a difference in dissuading the yobs from town.

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Aug 2 2011, 09:15 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

As I understand it the senior officer on duty that night was not the usual one. There was a fracas in Liquid and a man was seriously injured. Rather than deal with the perpetrators, who the doormen had already nabbed, the Police closed the venue. Having just paid £8 entrance fee the innocent punters were annoyed and a mini riot errupted.

+Quote Post
Jayjay
Post #10

Advanced Member

As I understand it the senior officer on duty that night was not the usual one. There was a fracas in Liquid and a man was seriously injured. Rather than deal with the perpetrators, who the doormen had already nabbed, the Police closed the venue. Having just paid £8 entrance fee the innocent punters were annoyed and a mini riot errupted.

+Quote Post
Jayjay
Post #11

Advanced Member

+Quote Post
Jayjay
Post #12

Advanced Member

+Quote Post
Jayjay
Post #13

Advanced Member

Oops, sorry about the multiple postings - laptop must have gone into overdrive. Noithing at all to do with the operator of course. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 2 2011, 11:03 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

When there has been a brawl in a pub or club resulting in serious injuries, the police will use discretion to shut premiss. I've seen this happen before.

+Quote Post
Alice
post Aug 3 2011, 01:47 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 795

I've said it before in other posts, but NWN needs to check their facts before reporting a story. I agree with NWNREADER, that one fight at one location isn't a night of violence. But there were in fact several fights that broke out in the area that the police had to deal with. And the violence was so bad that police dogs were called to help manage the situation.

I personally would like to thank the police for dealing with such a bad situation. I know that a number of officers on duty that night were special constables that volunteer their time in order to help keep the peace and make our community a safer place to be. I know I couldn't do a job like that and I think we should recognise their hard work and courage once in a while.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 3 2011, 02:41 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

I agree Alice and I think Liquid's licence should be reviewed. Although, at least it serves as a honey trap for all the idiots.

+Quote Post
Andrea
post Aug 3 2011, 03:46 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16

I was out Friday Night/Saturday morning and can confirm that it really was a night of violence... I stupidly went to Liquid (first and last time I will ever go) and from my walk from Liquid to the Snooty Fox (going round the market place way) I passed a group of at least 5 people outside Spin fighting (one with a badly bloodied face) heard about the commotion outside liquid (at the time it was noted that there was approximately 90 people involved?), walked passed a couple of boys having a heated arguement (wouldn't be surprised if it turned violent) and pushing and shoving at the snooty.

I go out in Newbury maybe once a month and this is the first time I've ever experienced a night like that.

I went home after all that!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 3 2011, 03:54 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andrea @ Aug 3 2011, 04:46 PM) *
I was out Friday Night/Saturday morning and can confirm that it really was a night of violence...

It must be the school holidays! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Aug 4 2011, 09:19 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

It's just a shame that the Police Dog Handlers did not lose a grip on the dogs.... If a few of these idiots had a few chunks taken out of them they may not be so blaise about trying to fight police. Yet another problem with 'Human Rights' and the compensation culture we have.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 4 2011, 09:25 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I think the "blase efforts to fight them is more a reflection on the police though.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:31 AM